Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Hurst
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who are fans of the Highlander franchise, I have been giving thought to creating a "Connor MacLeod" character to play around with in Arkham.

For one 'ability' I think I will have "Ramirez's Sword" which will act as a permanent (can't lose or discard) that counts as an item and a one-handed Katana, providing +2 physical combat and +2 magical combat in his hands. I will short him one random item in the at start equipment.

Now, the question is on special ability, how to represent "immortality" in game terms without overpowering. One thing, he would NOT be immune to being devoured. In game terms, characters never really die anyway. The immortals in Highlander were certainly still able to be hurt or go crazy just like anyone else...and they could 'die'...temporarily before reawakening. So, can you think of a way to represent this?

In other words, what 'special' ability should his 'immortality' and long life history provide to him?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Riggan
United States
OKLAHOMA CITY
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
You could make him heal 2 stamina in the hospital per turn instead of one.
Or perhaps, once per game, instead of being injured he could automatically regain all his health.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
His immortality is really just fast healing. Two thoughts come to mind. You could let him gain one Stamina token back during each Upkeep Phase. Alternately, he can skip his Arkham Encounter phase to regain all his Stamina for free.

If he loses all his Stamina, he still goes to the hospital and loses half his stuff (police investigation into his suspicious activities!), but can't take an Injury card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could give him :
Conner discard a madness or an injury when a mystic mythos card is drawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
IMMORTALITY:
Upkeep: If Conner has one or more Injury cards, he may roll 1 die. On a success he discards one Injury card.*

QUICK HEALING:
Upkeep: Conner restores up to 1 Stamina per turn.

*This keeps him within the normal rules of the game and gives him the normal choices when his Stamina is reduced to zero. He may remain injured, but only temporarily.

I'd say this is a slightly above average ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cartwright
United Kingdom
Spilsby
LINCS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of him and the other 'immortals' represented by gaining back one stamina token per upkeep and not gaining an injury card if all stamina is lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindel wrote:
I like the idea of him and the other 'immortals' represented by gaining back one stamina token per upkeep and not gaining an injury card if all stamina is lost.

That's a very weak power unless you're assuming the immortal gets all of his stamina back when reduced to zero and doesn't lose half his items.

Dr. Vincent has that power and can share his healing to in addition and can take a injury card (most of which have inconsequential effects to prevent the loss of his items.

I supose if you say that the immortal could automatically discard his healing card, then he'd still have to go to the hospital but would regain all his stamina and more importantly, save his items.

So for clarification:

QUICK HEALING:
Upkeep: Conner restores up to 1 Stamina per turn. (Low average power if not combined with something else).

plus

IMMORTALITY: Any Phase: Connor may never take a Injury Card. (A very weak power, actually detrimental.)

Or

IMMORTALITY: Any Phase: If Connor's stamina is reduced to zero move him to St. Mary's Hospital or to Lost in Time and Space as appropriate, He loses half of his items as usual but his Stamina is restored to maximum. (Lower than average power though combined with QUICK HEALING might be close to average but still low.)

Or

IMMORTALITY: Any Phase: If Conner gains an Injury card, he may immediately discard it.(Probably better than average power even without QUICK HEALING.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Hurst
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a first run-through, with some ideas from above.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+2 Physical and +2 Magical?
Is this +4?
As it reads, it will suffer from all resistances and immunities. I don't think that is your intention.

I suppose +2 Physical or +2 Magical might solve the problem.

However it seems more like a Gladius of Carcosa but a Physical Weapon:

Physical Weapon
+2 to Combat Checks
(+3 instead if your other hand is empty)

This weapon ignores the Physical Magical
Resistance special ability.
Katana cannot be lost or stolen
unless you choose to allow it.

1 hand $5
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Hurst
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My original intention on the Katana was for it to be able to affect physical immune creatures with its magic component, and affect magical immune creatures with its physical component, or have the full 4 if no immunity present. The only way it wouldn't work at all would be against fully immune creatures. I couldn't think of another way to word that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Hurst
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a revision, reworking the Katana and adding the back story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK,I think you're description fits your intention now, but now its a weapon worth more than the five points you've discounted in your investigator.

Its a +4 physical weapon using two hands that doesn't exhaust. That alone is worth 6 or 7 points.(The Ancient spear is 6 points and it exhausts if used magically). In addition if your sword can't be lost (another point) and can be combined with other weapons (at a discount in value)-very versatile. There's nothing exactly like it--a unique weapon.

I think I'd make a weapon card. Strange eons can handle that and then the sword will be part of the fixed equipment. If I were to make this character,I'd value the sword at 8 points or allow it to be lost and value it at 7.

Well have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Hurst
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another revision.

I added a penalty to Connor if he does not have an edged weapon amongst his equipment. This to reflect a loss in confidence when an immortal finds himself without any access to his weapon of choice.

Also, turned the sword into a losable item, as an item card. I also made the physical resistance/immunity thing an exhaustable requirement. The question this raises is, if the item is exhausted, can it still be armed for its regular combat values?

This look good?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tarheel wrote:
Another revision.

I added a penalty to Connor if he does not have an edged weapon amongst his equipment. This to reflect a loss in confidence when an immortal finds himself without any access to his weapon of choice.

Also, turned the sword into a losable item, as an item card. I also made the physical resistance/immunity thing an exhaustable requirement. The question this raises is, if the item is exhausted, can it still be armed for its regular combat values?

This look good?

Still too good. I see you added a random skill (cost 10 points). You can add the sword to his fixed items in Strange eons to get the proper costing and to show it there. I don't think his possible negative will/fight will come into play very much and I'd also get rid of that. He's been around a few centuries and probably can use lots of weapons very well. He really just needs the sword for chopping heads off other immortals. There aren't any of those in the game, are there?

If you keep the exhaust rule, then the sword is only usable once per turn to ignore/immune to physical, unless you add text. Personally I just get rid of the exhaust requirement, too. As it reads, its now only worth $6 because many monsters are physically resistant/immune and you can only fight one per round. Doesn't seem to fit the myth of the Highlander does it?

Then is immortality skill of gaining 1 Stamina and discarding injuries on a success roll of 1 die is a slightly above average skill--which is probably OK.

So get rid of random skill and fiddley detriment and move sword to fixed items and get rid of exhaust item, keeping it at $7 and probably add $3 or a common item and your done.

I think you'll have a good fighter character that's within the range of high average. Strange eons won't like it because you'll have too many fixed items but hey you're supposed to be building a particular personality. I suppose if the world were coming to an end and the Highlander heard about it, he'd be there! Expecially if a sword was required.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Hurst
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Revision

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks quite playable--about what a inconspicuous immortal should look like.

I didn't know he was such a sneaky guy. Have fun.

I guess you could have made him a farmer based on his backstory and hidden the katana is his scythe. About the same curve, no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Hurst
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I checked the Highlander timeline, and during the 20's he went into farming to 'take a break' from all the action after WWI and after some collegiate sports he got into.

I figured most of these immortals were pretty good about concealing themselves from society, so edged up the stealth (sneak).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Salazar
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Dude I love Highlander and this made my day!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.