Popular Tags: [View All]
Ebon Hawk
United States
Janesville
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always switch cards around between Summoners that are already out there. I also second the idea of additional setups for each Summoner. IT would be cool to have campaign setups for each faction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a real simple one that I've used a number of times for variety:

---

First, roll to see who will go first. This player will place the first card, and will go first once the game begins.

Each player takes the units depicted on his starting setup card. In turn, starting with the first player, each player places 1 card from his starting group onto the board, anywhere on his own side of the battlefield. You may place the cards in any order you wish (for example, you could place the wall early, or hold it for your last placement).

Once placement is finished, the first player takes his first turn, and the game progresses normally.

---

I originally though this variant would favor the spam/flood factions like the Goblins, but that doesn't seem to be the case. The reason is that, since the cards are placed one-at-a-time, each player gets to see how the other player's setup is evolving, and adjust their own card placement accordingly, to threaten newly placed units, or to defend against newly placed units.

I'm sure the official setup rules are far more balanced, since they've been playtested hundreds of times, but this can be a fun little way to mix things up if/when you get bored with the normal setup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colby Dauch
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game originally had a variable starting setup, but in the end I just wanted players to be able to get right down to playing and I felt that a preset starting setup could help me avoid some problems that happen when players get to choose their setup, namely racing to the front line and turning the first turn roll into an all or nothing ordeal. Doing custom starting setups is real easy though. As Chris said just roll a die and go back and forth choosing where you will set up your starting setup units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
screamingtruth wrote:
I felt that a preset starting setup could help me avoid some problems that happen when players get to choose their setup, namely racing to the front line and turning the first turn roll into an all or nothing ordeal.

I can definitely see this being an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fede Miguez
Argentina
Capital Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wouldn't a rule like "up to 1 unit on the first line, 2 on the second, etc" would deal with that?
I had been thinking about different starting positions but i haven't played the game enough yet to start customizing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Busi
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PePe QuiCoSE wrote:
wouldn't a rule like "up to 1 unit on the first line, 2 on the second, etc" would deal with that?
I had been thinking about different starting positions but i haven't played the game enough yet to start customizing it.

That is the first thing that came to mind at me too. This will balance a lot the card position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that reinforcement packs are on the way, I'm sure there are people who will want to ditch some of the starting commons, which will tamper with the starting setup (the rules say that you must have at least enough of those commons in your deck to complete the starting setup). I looked at the details of the starting setup of the six currently released factions, and here are some of the things I found:

With only one exception (The Vanguards), the Summoner always starts in the back row and the Wall is exactly two spaces ahead of the Summoner.

With one exception (the Goblins), each faction starts with 4 or 5 commons on the field. The cost of these commons is around 5 magic (the cave goblins total 2, the Fallen Kingdom total 6, and the Vanguards total 7). Except for the goblins and the Vanguard, there are no more than two copies of each of the commons.

There is at most 1 unit in each of the first two rows and, except for the Vanguards, at most one non-summoner unit in the fourth row.

Except for the Vanguards, there are no more than two cards in each column.

Keeping these facts in mind, it shouldn't be too hard to figure out some comparable starting setups if you feel like dumping some of the commons that you don't like when the reinforcements come, or if you just feel like mixing things up with the pre-built decks.

This also shows that the Vanguards are really weird!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like how the starting setups work because they make setup fast and lend some character to each of the Summoners, like the difference between the Vanguard and the Cave Goblins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.