Subject: So pumped for my first 4 player game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy Superfly Snuka
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday night is going to be my first 4 player game. I have played a lot of 2 and 3 player games and the strategy is different for each game. Like in the 2 player game flying and underworld are kinda worthless, and the Tritons in the 2 player game own while in the 3 player they are pretty pedestrian.

What things should I look out for in the 4 player game? What abilities and races have better/worse results with the bigger board and more players? What is a good number of areas to decline at?

What is a good number of areas to decline at is probably the best piece of advice I can get. In the 2 player game I try to get to 5 or 6 areas before declining, and in the 3 I'll take 4 or 3 if I have to. I am guessing in the 4 player if you can have 4 to start your decline and by your next turn you still have 2 or 3, you are doing good. This is all just a guess as I have not played 4P yet.

Discuss...

Thanks for the help,
DON

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All your questions really depend upon the Race/Power combos. Some are good for a turn, others are great to push for 3 or 4 turns (even 5 in rare cases). Some combos really shine in larger games and other not so much.

We have a blast in my house with all numbers of players, 2 and 5 being the most common though! It's a great little game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pei Kong
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Good luck on your 4-player game. It should be a blast!

To respond to your mention of Flying being useless in a 2-player game, in the first game I ever played, I took Flying Elves, which I pretty much kept the entire game and won.

Underworld is still useful because of it's -1 to Caverns ability. Also both Flying and Underworld prevent any opponent attempts to relocate. But you are right in that Underworld and Flying benefit from larger maps.

To reiterate Wired_Wolf, the situations call for different things. There isn't really a certain # of territories you should have before decline.

I will say that paying attention to the race queue is extremely important with more people because if a good race crops up you get the upper-hand if you decline first, especially since you'll only be using 2-3 races in the game. In 2 player, you'd probably end up using around 3-4 races.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.