Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think that this situation absolutely requires
badge
a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is your opponents discard pile considered open information? Typically a discard pile is stacked face up. Let's say McCain has a media card in his hand. Let's say Obama just played a card that allows or instructs him to discard some cards from his hand for some effect. Let's say the Obama player happens to stack these cards on his discard pile in a way that one of the discarded cards is on top, not the card he played. McCain happens to see that the top card on Obama's discard pile is a media card. Knowing that the Obama media card won't come up again for a while, McCain decides to play his media card now.

So, is it Obama's responsibility to make sure that the discards are underneath the card played so McCain can't see? Or is it considered open information and if it is, does each player have the right to look through their opponents discard pile?

Is McCain a dirty politician for even looking at Obama's discard stack? If caught in the act should he be forced to roll the Going Negative die?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Beukema
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if I had to house-rule this, I'd say that the top card is public information, but that anything below that is private. After all, if your eyesight is good enough, and your table narrow enough, it might be trivially easy to see what's on top of your opponent's discards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Creighton
United States
Decatur
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have been playing that the top card is open information, but that others can be hidden. It allows for some mystery if cards are discarded and allows for a level of strategy if you hide a demographic card for example. You could then keep that card hidden for much longer while still making it useful in your deck as a decoy and throw away during play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input, guys. I was kind of hoping one of the designers might chime in with an "official" ruling, but I'll go with the "one on top is open, the rest is hidden" ruling until I hear otherwise.

I know this probably seems kind of obvious, but it did come up because I asked my opponent if I could see the card he just played. For some reason when he read the text and then performed the action, something seemed "off" and I just wanted double check and make sure he was playing the card correctly. (He was new to the game) Well, he had his two discards on top of the card he played and I ended up seeing both of them. One was a media card. I had a media card in hand and was planning on playing it next anyway, so the open or closed discard question came up at this point due to the circumstances.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asa Swain
United States
Queens
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have vague memories of the designers of 1960 saying the contents of the discard pile being open knowledge, so I figured Campaign Manager was the same. I admit that was probably becuase 1960 has cards that let you draw from the discard pile. I suppose with such a small deck, knowing what cards have been played could give you a strategic advantage. But someone with perfect memory would also know what cards have been played. I wouldn't agonize over the question, but I would be curious to hear a designer's opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to this reply, all discards are public information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fateswanderer wrote:
According to this reply, all discards are public information.

Thank you! I didn't realize Christian posted the answer already in a different thread, I was wondering why one of the designers didn't chime in. Open information discard piles was not the answer I expected to hear, but good to know! Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.