Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So...back to this, indead of resurrecting my own thread and confusing the issue, I'll start fresh.

I asked earlier this year if anyone knew of a Tide of Iron type of WW3 game (NATO vs Warsaw pact) that's rooted in the 80's (much like the World at War series...which I love, by the way). So to that end, after a bit of soul searching, googling, and dabbling in ideas I've decided to take a stab at this.

My "vision" is using hexes like in TOI or M'44, but where each model is a single unit. Making the game relatively quick, and roughly medium weight in play. That part I have set (minus testing). My sticking point comes down to scale again.

If 1 hex is = 100m, and 1 turn is = 10 seconds...a vehicle that can travel at 75 km/h moves a total of 2 hexes a turn. Check.
In the same vein, if a vehicle that moves slower at 60 km/h it ALSO moves a total of 2 hexes... ...clearly this doesn't make much sense. Now, couple that with weapons having a 3000m range and close in weapons having a 500m, that gives ranges of 30 and 5 hexes respectively (which is fine). So, at this point, since I'm reluctant to decrease the size of the hex scale (to say 50m per hex) to keep the time scale, I'm faced with increasing the time scale to 20 seconds per turn. This would alter a few things, such as rates of fire, and possibly turn order (this would require play testing to bear out).

Though I'm of the opinion that extending the turn scale to 20 seconds, increase rate of fire (shots per turn) is the best solution.

So, it got me thinking, to those that enjoy "making" wargames of sorts:

How do you determine your scale? Whim and fancy then abstract the whole thing? Or exhaust the formulas (such as I do) until something makes sense?

edit: grammar and spelling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hayford
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
I think, when designing games, you will frequently run into situations where what is fun and reality collide. I think you are much better off developing a non-fiddly ruleset that abstracts ranges and such, but still gives you the feel for the type of weapon/vehicle that you are using.

As long as certain weapons can range others, and fast vehicles feel appropriately mobile, I think your mission is complete.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed. Finding that balance between "realistic modeling" and "fun" is, in my opinion, rather fun to find. Those nice mental exercises that I love to run myself through.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Pavone
United States
Ruby
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually determine scale based on whatever map I use to begin with. I'll start with a battle map and overlay hex grids until I see it 'click'. You know, the point where you see that the cavalry takes two turns to cross a field while the infantry slogs behind at 4 turns. Where musket fire will cover one, maybe two hexes.

It's more a matter of what feels right and captures the pace of the historical event's unfolding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.