BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Recommend me a game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil Walker
msg tools
Hello,
new user here

I'm fairly new to 'proper' board games (cosmic encounter, pandemic and memoir 44 being the only ones I've got so far) and would like some help in choosing a game.

What I was about to buy was Shadows over Camelot but got turned off slightly by the recommendation of 5 players. There are usually 3 of us (occasionally but not that often, 4). I then liked the sound of battlestar galactica but again that was a 5 player recommended game.

Will either game be any good for 3?

If not, this is what I'm after:

- not too complex (cosmic, memoir and pandemic being about right as the youngest is aged 9)
- be board game based (rather than just cards like Dominion)
- Have a theme you can immerse yourself in (fantasy, sci-fi, etc) rather than every day life like, say, PowerGrid or Agricola
- Cost no more than £35 (uk)

If it helps, the games I also liked the sound of but discounted were Galaxy Trucker (too expensive), through the ages (too expensive), arkham horror (too complicated), chaos in the old world (too complicated - from what I read at the review on this site).

Thanks for any recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Blue Moon City.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Gross
United States
Flower Mound
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My youngest player is 9 too.

Ticket to Ride is one of the group favorites

Other games the group likes are Settlers of Catan, Manhattan, Top Secret Spies, Cafe International and Zooloretto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try Nexus Ops. Has an interesting sci-fi theme, isn't very complicated, and has a board. But it's not in print, so I don't know how much it costs. Neuroshima Hex! 3.0 might also work.

Pyramid of Pengqueen is a great family game (not sure about the cost though). Castle Panic is a fun cooperative game to play with kids.

A couple more you could look at are Thebes and Stone Age

We've played Shadows over Camelot with 3 players. I would say it's fine, but not great. I'd rather play with more players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Primordial Soup
RoboRally
Mission: Red Planet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mb
Welcome to the BGG!

Here are some game titles you might want to consider;

WarCraft: The Board Game-gather resources and build armies, based on the older computer game, this is not the same as World of Warcraft: The Boardgame.

Middle-Earth Quest-great theme, but might be pricier than you're looking for.

Prophecy-another good fantasy themed quest game, generally very affordable.

Space Alert-a fun cooperative game with a solid sci-fi theme. Price might be an issue, but it is close to your number.

Talisman (Revised 4th Edition)-similar in theme to Prophecy. Fun and light with some nice expansions.

I hope you find the right game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Collins
United States
San Rafael
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Id check into a very under rated game called Mission: Red Planet Its got awesome art, great components, the theme of steam punk travel to mars etc.

Its a shame Galaxy Trucker is too expensive that and mission red planet were my first 2 choices.

Also, its not fantasy but the theme is fantastic, Check out Colosseum, This hs been a HUGE winner at our house and it's easy to teach and learn. Great game here.

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil,

you say that you are new to gaming - have you had a chance to play any of the classics?
If not, you might want to take a look at,

- Carcassonne
- Catan
- Power Grid
- Puerto Rico

They've all been around for a while & have stood the test of time with my group.

Whatever you go with, I hope you enjoy yourself.

Paul
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fulwiler
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3 players is tough. There are a lot of games that are good for just 2 and a lot that are good for 4 or more, but it seems that are only a few that are good, even less that are optimized, for 3 players.

Off the top of my head, I'd recommend Small World. It's a really fun game with only 3 players and can expand to up to 5 players. It's not too complicated that a 9 year old couldn't play it, but would probably need some help.

Another one to consider for later on is StarCraft. Right now, it doesn't meet a lot of your criteria, but it does meet the most important one, IMO, and that is, it plays very well with 3 players. You can get this game online for around $50 - $60 (maybe a little less now) and play it when your son is a little older or with other players who might be interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Powers
United States
Triangle
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket to Ride

Touch of Evil

Last night on Earth (may be a bit intense for 9 year old, definately PG-13 rated)

Dino Hunt (if you can find it. Great game for 9 year old + adults, but out of print)

Good Luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Sieradzki
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
badge
We don't stop playing when we get old, but we get old when we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Duel in the Dark - a tense, but easy to learn 3d boardgame. Check it - you won't regret!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Johnson
United States
Cloquet
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a favorite of mine is Conquest of the Fallen Lands

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyoko Steeple
United States
Columbia
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth your time to look into Lost Valley. It's a solid, nice-looking 3-4 player exploration game, steeped in Goldrush theme, where you build the board as you play. There are a number of different actions available on your turn, but gameplay is actually pretty simple - the rulebook is only four-pages long, and one of those pages is devoted setup. Now, I believe it's out of print right at the moment. However, there are several copies floating around BGG and I'm sure you could find one for a resonable price with having to look too hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Santangelo
Argentina
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Upvote for carcassone and Ticket to ride, both great for 3 players. Thebes also plays well, and has a nice theme to it

I'd stay away from battlestar galactica if I were you: it's quite complex, lots of rules, may alienate some players...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Walker
msg tools
Thanks. I didn't expect so many replies in a short time.

I've spent all this time checking out the games and shortlisted it to Castle Panic, Space Alert and Stone Age. Ticket to ride is a defo on my list for later though.

But once I saw Last Night on Earth that was the one, he loves zombies and the videos looked great.

The place I like to buy from (as I was also buying Memoir Easterfront) didn't have it which is a shame as I've now got to pay a 'low order fee' but luckily there was somebody on amazon with 2 copies left

Thanks. I need to join a board game club if there is such a thing, there's just too many good games to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rose
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't be turned off to Shadow's over Camelot it actually plays quite well with three players. I acutally like to play with less players because it give me more of a chanllenge more to do less players to do it with.

I'm sure there is a gaming group in your area so seek it out and that way you get to play some games your intersted in but aren't sure you want to pull the trigger on before you make a decision.

I wish I had done this a long time ago I would probably have a whole different list of games I would currently own if I had played first then bought games. Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Lobkowicz
United States
High Ridge
Missouri
flag msg tools
publisher
You could be playing.
badge
Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?
mbmbmbmbmb
neilw wrote:
Thanks. I didn't expect so many replies in a short time.

I've spent all this time checking out the games and shortlisted it to Castle Panic, Space Alert and Stone Age. Ticket to ride is a defo on my list for later though.

But once I saw Last Night on Earth that was the one, he loves zombies and the videos looked great.

The place I like to buy from (as I was also buying Memoir Easterfront) didn't have it which is a shame as I've now got to pay a 'low order fee' but luckily there was somebody on amazon with 2 copies left

Thanks. I need to join a board game club if there is such a thing, there's just too many good games to play.

Castle Panic was not terribly interesting for me. It's tough to beat and a little random. It often feels more like a puzzle than a game. And I am not anti-co-op. I really like Pandemic, Arkham, and BSG (Though I disagree that BSG is good with less than 4. It is really ideal with 5)

I love stone age but it isn't terribly themey. Space alert can be fun. Wasn't a hit with my group but I see the appeal hectic communication planning which never works out quite right. Fast paced. I think of the three you mentioned you might have a winner with Space Alert.

I would also recommend you look into Runebound. I think it plays best with 2-3 (with more the downtime is a drag). It is very themey, plays like a boardgame version of a console RPG (fight the baddies, level up, get new stuff, fight the bigger baddies, level up, get even better stuff) First to beat the big baddie wins. About an hour per player.

Good luck finding a game that works for you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Browne
United Kingdom
Ely
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A bit late if you have done your shortlist, but Kingsburg plays well with 3 too. Lots of decisions, a fun outpost building theme, and an expansion that adds interest and variation.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Finazzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'll jump in with my recommendations anyway. Since you're playing with three people I'll tell what we like for that number that have a decent amount of theme:

Fury of Dracula (second edition) and Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game - One player as Drac/Zombies and the other two control two characters each. I think three is the optimal way to play these games, but they also play well with 5.

Arkham Horror - Not as complicated as you think. I taught the basics in about 20 minutes and fleshed out the rules as they were needed. The next time we played everyone jumped right into it. Again, three is my favorite number for this because of the way it speeds the game up. Dripping with theme, if you're into Lovecraft.

Tikal - Might seem a bit dry, but the board is some pretty we feel like we;re hacking through the jungles. Easy rules, but the game play is fairly deep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.