Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
3D board game prints: www.3dhubs.com/service/3dgaming
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what the new Monopoly boards are going to look like. Round boards, now Perter Tokens and no cash. Plastic token stands and an electronic battery sucking machine for charge cards instead of money. thumbsdown

the MSN artice
http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/SmartSpending/blog/page...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a flying saucer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As if anyone on BGG will be playing it ....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Q !

Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmb
For a second after reading some of the street names, I was thinking "They're renaming the streets again?", but after I saw Mayfair, I figured this photo must be of the UK version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gallagher
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
And once the newest rendition, called Monopoly Revolution, appears, the old style will continue to be available, too.

It'll be a revolution all right, based on some of the comments I've read (for instance, whether this can handle the common house rule regarding the Free Parking jackpot).

Thanks, but I'll stick with the traditional version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Despite its new sleek aerodynamic design, the 75th Anniversary Edition of Monopoly failed to take off. Analysts from around the globe were circumspect as to why this edition was not flying from the shelves. Perhaps the new design went off on a wrong tangent. One beta tester thought that the rule about cosines for loans was too much. Is this a sine of things to come? Another designer thought the game was simple as pi. One wag is quoted as saying that Monopoly has finally come full circle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John John
United States
Earth
flag msg tools
Ultraman, here he comes from the sky. Ultraman, watch our hero fly!
badge
Hi, I'm Ultraman! Home: Nebula M78 Height: 40 meters Weight: 35,000 tons Age: 20,000 years old Flight Speed: Mach 5
mbmbmbmbmb

tawnos76 wrote:
This is what the new Monopoly boards are going to look like. Round boards, now Perter Tokens and no cash. Plastic token stands and an electronic battery sucking machine for charge cards instead of money.

From the article you mention:

Quote:
And once the newest rendition, called Monopoly Revolution, appears, the old style will continue to be available, too.

Abomination? Really? It's just another version. Did we see this level of outrage when they came out with Monopoly: Littlest Pet Shop?

They make so many different versions. If you don't like this one, don't buy it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Martin
England
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just waiting for Möbiustripoly to come out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Cramer
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there actually two boards there? What is underneath the main board in the photo?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I hate the electronic banking too but I'm not worried. A makeover will get some attention now...And in a year they'll come out with "Monopoly Classic" or "Retro" or "Throwback" or something and charge twice as much for it. It ain't going anywhere.

Edit: Noticed the quote from the article that the traditional version will continue to be sold...there, see? It never even left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Teuber
Germany
Langenfeld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Round board... Globopolis, anyone?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What will be the next generation?

- Every player enters his name
- Determine starting player
- Wait a minute
- Game announces winner

Hmmm... would at least be an improvement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Darby
United Kingdom
Welshpool
Powys
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I'll be the only one who likes it then?

I mean, really, the original is a triumph of 1930's graphic design.

1930's. 70+ years old. To be appreciated for what it is, but ripe for re-interpretation. Over and above crappy re-theming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Plumley
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In all fairness and ad nauseum Monopoly hatred aside, this actually looks kinda cool, from an appearance standpoint. This isn't replacing the classic version, and probably won't be around forever, and the electronic banking thing isn't anything new (And before you go bashing it... 18xx games with spreadsheets. 'nuff said.) Besides, having the electronic banking thing might force people to ditch some of the house rules that make this game so much of a pain in the caboose to play.

Either way, it looks pretty neat, and is nice to see something beyond "Look! We made the colours faded!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the traditional board and do not like any board game that requires batteries.

This is still my favorite version.

It saw a lot of use before I found other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
Graphically, I think it's a pretty interesting-looking design in its own right, although those plastic standup pawns do look cheap. Squinting at the picture, it appears that they moved the utilities, railroads, and chance-type spaces around (with just one variety of chance card?), to unknown effect.

I am not a big fan of such devices as the 'debit card', but Genuine Monopoly(tm) Money is easy enough to procure separately, and poker chips work at least as well. On the whole, the whole thing doesn't have enough novelty to be worth a purchase, except for a Monopoly collector, and it is hard to imagine who would purchase this version _instead_ of a traditional set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also discussed here: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/4583683#4583683

Two topics in two days about a really strange Monopoly variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the redeeming features of monopoly is that it teaches kids (and adults sometimes) how to count and do math. Looks like that's not going to be in this one.

I really hope this is an additional version. It's very avant-guarde, new-york-penthouse, but it's also very change-for-the-sake-of-change.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April VanGelderen
United States
Zeeland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rocket Zone eh? So what's what they call the pricy properties.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Keneson
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Does the game still use dice for movement?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Fullenwider
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
I'm not a moccodity!
mbmbmbmbmb
For those that got their undies in a wad over a circular board, I'm surprised we haven't heard stories of the Jaws of Life being needed to extract undergarments after the announcement of U-Build Monopoly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not mind the different variant Monopolies at all. What I do not like about this is the fact that it is not a variant at all. It is the redesign of the board and the complete change in the Money Plastic Pieces from Pewter and the board design all seem hurtful to the eyes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Potter
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me, or does it look like the Chance and Community Chest spaces have swaped places with the railrods and utilities? If so, it sounds like an unnecessary modification that adds nothing of value to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
At least it comes with a sponge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Bob
United States
Carmi
Illinois
flag msg tools
The Monopoly U-Build actually looks pretty freaking cool. I wonder when it is going to be released. I'm already trying to come up with ideas on how to stack the hexagons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.