Subject: Cancelling games on order rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently just got a fairly big game order from an online retailer (large enough to qualify for free shipping). When I went through the package, I noticed a couple of the items that I had ordered were missing. I emailed the store to find out what happened to the items. They said that they were missing those items, so they just shipped what they had in stock and gave me a refund for the missing items. It's a little annoying because now I'll have to reorder the items and also pay a shipping charge.

Does anyone know if this is normal? It seems strange that they would alter my order and ship it out without notifying me first. Is this a common practice for online game stores? I've ordered from this place before and they normally give great service so I was a little surprised.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Diosi
Canada
Newcastle
Ontario
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience with several online retailers I would say this is not normal. It would have been good business practice to notify you first. At least they did refund your money but yes I think they should have handled it differently.

You said you've ordered from them before, maybe a well worded e-mail to them explaining your dissatisfaction will prompt them to realize the situation from your point of view and they might be able to offer some future compensation on your next order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you... you should have been contacted and be allowed to make the decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jwoodall04 wrote:
I can't imagine that is normal practice and I don't think I'd use them again. Is it a big name store?

Yes, it's one of the more popular online game stores. And I've used them before and always had great service from them. So this was surprising.

Edited to add the quote

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DocStryder wrote:
In my experience with several online retailers I would say this is not normal. It would have been good business practice to notify you first. At least they did refund your money but yes I think they should have handled it differently.

You said you've ordered from them before, maybe a well worded e-mail to them explaining your dissatisfaction will prompt them to realize the situation from your point of view and they might be able to offer some future compensation on your next order.

Yes, I sent them an email this morning after they told me that they cancelled my items. I tried to be nice about it. We'll see what happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Warren
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They should have contacted you, and given what they did they should at least offered you free shipping on the missing items if you choose to purchase them when they restock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris J
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
. . . or just let me nibble your soul . . . .
badge
Electra Bellum. Electra Gloriosum.
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the name of this online retailer? I understand your recalcitrance in naming the store, but no matter what happens, it'd be nice to know who foibled along with the eventual disposition.

KJ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rompcat wrote:
What is the name of this online retailer? I understand your recalcitrance in naming the store, but no matter what happens, it'd be nice to know who foibled along with the eventual disposition.

KJ

It's CoolStuffInc. If they respond back, I'll let you know what they say.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Ruza
Canada
Elmira
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have never heard of this happening before. I have had shops send me a partial shipment and then the rest later when they received stock, but then shipping on both shipments was free. Is this their normal policy, and if so is it written anywhere? It would seem to me that this would relevant in the decision of where to purchase items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Tietz
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the missing items out of print, or just something out of stock that they'll get in soon? If it's something they can get back in stock easily, I would expect them to allow me to purchase with free shipping whether it was over $100 or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently had the same experience with a fish store. What sucks about it is that it is a minimum $25 order, and shipping is about $25-30, so basically I'm just never going to get the rest of my order since I don't really want to spend $50 just to get a handful of freshwater clams. I wasn't ever notified, i just had to check the invoice to see that I wasn't billed for them.

On the other hand, I had an order from Thoughthammer held up for about 3 months while waiting for Race for the Galaxy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ze_stom wrote:
I recently had the same experience with a fish store. What sucks about it is that it is a minimum $25 order, and shipping is about $25-30, so basically I'm just never going to get the rest of my order since I don't really want to spend $50 just to get a handful of freshwater clams. I wasn't ever notified, i just had to check the invoice to see that I wasn't billed for them.

On the other hand, I had an order from Thoughthammer held up for about 3 months while waiting for Race for the Galaxy.

See, that's the goofy thing. My order was held up waiting for Summoner Wars. Then Summoner Wars comes in and the order ships out without the other items. And I look at the website today and one of them is in stock. Oh well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hornet hornet
msg tools
Same thing has happened to me.
They emailed me back after I contacted them and were great.
I re ordered the games and they refunded the shipping because it was a part of my original order.
I have found that if you ask they are only to willing to work with you. I like their customer service, and will continue to use them.
If you are concerned they have a toll free number you can call and talk to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Ho
United States
Frederick
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Surprisingly, this is a very common practice among multiple online game stores. This had happened to me with multiple big name stores. However, Customer Service from all stores had been great with allowing me to do a follow-up order with free shipping.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Kat
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, in case anyone is interested, CoolStuffInc responded to me. They're shipping my items out to me with no extra charge. And they even gave me a $5 gift certificate on top of that. So everything worked out fine in the end. Yay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
It's the squeaky wheel that gets the grease...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Reeve
United States
Geneva
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bigkat wrote:
Well, in case anyone is interested, CoolStuffInc responded to me. They're shipping my items out to me with no extra charge. And they even gave me a $5 gift certificate on top of that. So everything worked out fine in the end. Yay!

Actually I'd say the way they resolved was more important than the initial problem. Everyone makes mistakes. It's how they are rectified that matters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.