Tom Hudson
United States
Vermilion
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Comprehensive rules will be be posted periodically here and at the Yahoo 18xx forum.

This post recounts the changes made to the components to the 0.41 Beta version. The .42 rules will be posted soon. At some point, perhaps with the .43 or .44 version, I will send new component files to testers.

Toledo is yellow. For now it can be upgraded with a green #15 tile, The brown TP tile is still used. The brown TP tile revenue is increased to $50 (from $40).

Toledo's $20 upgrade fee has been removed, as well as the difficult terrain fee in the other 3 Maumee River hexes (the river running south of Toledo).

The Hudson (CPIT home station) revenue has been increased to $20 from $10.

The hex SW of Toledo is reserved for the TIR.

Gray off-board area numbers no longer used during Phase 5 (now just Phase 6).

5+5 trains are $850 ($750 is printed on them).

Add one green port token (now there are 4 green and 4 red). Port tokens can be sold to other companies for as much as $80.

Allow unlimited #8 and #9 tiles.

Add 1 green tile #142.

Clarification to the charter auction rules on page 9 of the 0.41 rules:
A charter auction's minimum opening bid is $50 (there is no maximum);
Subsequent bids must be a $5 multiple ($5, or $15 or $55, etc.) of the current high bid.

Clarification: a company can buy one train from the bank plus any number of trains from another company during one OR.

Modification to the forced train purchase rules on page 17:
If a president is forced to contribute toward the purchase a train, he can buy one from another company, but not for more than the price printed on the card.

Modification: a company with a reserved hex (not home location) can give permission to another company to build in the hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fawcett
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
november wrote:
5+5 trains are $850 ($750 is printed on them).

Will you be sending out updated trains, Tom? I have everything else from the .42 upgrade all printed out for Saturday's session, and the new trains would be nice, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Fawcett
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom, our group had some playability/user interface comments from our session on Saturday. (Happily there were no rules questions or issues).

The reserved hex and grid ID indicators are way too light (white on light green) to be able to see clearly. We didn't have to refer to them too often, but we had to practically put our noses to the map in order to make them out. For the final printing, we'd recommend a higher contrast.

The port symbols (especially the red and green ones) should probably be offset from the hexes themselves, since the hexes will get covered by route tiles (for the most part anyway). If you relocated the anchors just outside the hexes, they would be visible without have to either remember they were there or push/lift the tiles out of the way.

On the Par Values table, it would be helpful if the numbers were offset so that the markers don't obscure the values. That seemed to have been referenced quite a bit in our games, and we found we had to keep moving the tokens out of the way to see the information.

The port bonus tokens in the final edition should have the same sort of revenue indicator the route tiles have, for consistency's sake if nothing else. Anything that adds to the company's revenue should have the same symbology.

Some companies have a special benefit that is immediate, but some are able to use their ability later in the game. Some sort of marker to indicate when a company has used it's special would be a helpful reminder.

An 8.5x11 conference map showing what companies were where was mentioned as being a helpful play aid, as was a summary of the companies, starting locations and special benefits.

Another player thought a short blurb on the history of each of the companies would be a nice touch, to which I agreed.

Most of the other comments were about how much the charter auction process was quite good, and added greatly to the replay value of the game. I can see this game getting a lot of play on my table, since it has a number of my favorite features of 18xx games, and a lot a variability in which companies would be in play. Many 18xx games can get a little stereotyped with repeated play, and I think 18io will be able to successfully avoid those problems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
yankeeap wrote:
The reserved hex and grid ID indicators are way too light (white on light green) to be able to see clearly.

That has not been true here, but then I print my own 18io maps from PDF and thus my colours may be more saturated.

Quote:
The port symbols (especially the red and green ones) should probably be offset from the hexes themselves, since the hexes will get covered by route tiles (for the most part anyway). If you relocated the anchors just outside the hexes, they would be visible without have to either remember they were there or push/lift the tiles out of the way.

We find the white markers for indicating where ports may be bought to be a more frequent confusion. Still, not a bad idea.

Quote:
The port bonus tokens in the final edition should have the same sort of revenue indicator the route tiles have, for consistency's sake if nothing else. Anything that adds to the company's revenue should have the same symbology.

The port bonus varies depending on whether it part of a port-to-port run.

Quote:
An 8.5x11 conference map showing what companies were where was mentioned as being a helpful play aid, as was a summary of the companies, starting locations and special benefits.

We've thought about getting small clear plastic discs from TAP Plastics in order to mark company starting locations that are covered with track-tiles. Far more than company abilities, that turns out to be a common concern/interest here.

Quote:
Many 18xx games can get a little stereotyped with repeated play, and I think 18io will be able to successfully avoid those problems.

I am less convinced.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
At least one person in our group had trouble with the iconography for "you can pay a pink port bonus here" versus "you can buy pink port rights here" (and the same for green).

Instead of the current pink port on all usable cities, and white port on the places you can buy rights, perhaps a unified symbol: pink port on side cities, and pink port inside a white circle on the places where you can buy rights.

(Perhaps better yet, a pink port symbol with a dollar sign next to it in the places where you can pay for port rights.)

The suggestion higher up to offset the port symbols so that they are not covered by track tiles is good -- perhaps the map conventions from 1848, which has offboard ports that don't count against your run length, would be useful, except that in 1848 they are preprinted track that constrains track lays, and here they quite clearly are not. A circle with an arrow pointing to the hex might work to show that distinction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.