Matthew Goddard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello BGG community.

Recently with all the GeekGold lottery's it's been a great way to spend some of that hard earned GeekGold. I was the lucky winner for one of the auctions. When I went to add the game to my collection I went to Price Paid and realized there was NO option to select a GeekGold amount!.

I think this would be a great addition now with the new wave of GeekGold for games to be able to record such a purchase similar to if I had paid real hard earned CA$H.

Does anyone else agree with me? Disagree? I hope you don't think this is another "I use BGG for this strange thing so please modify it to suit my needs" kind of request. I don't think I would be the only one with the request? (I couldn't find it in the forums after a few pages of multiple search results.

Thanks for reading and considering!

Edited for spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
But you didn't pay that much Geek Gold for the game. You bought a raffle ticket with Geek Gold and got lucky.

Also, in a practical sense, this will not get much use. I certainly wouldn't use it. Of course, if it had a drop down for currency, there would be no harm in including Geek Gold on the list of options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geekgold fluctuates so much. Why not enter in the price that GG is worth on the $ for GG market?
Currently this is approximately $10 for 150 GG.
So if you spent 50 GG, then you can enter in $3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Goddard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
Geekgold fluctuates so much. Why not enter in the price that GG is worth on the $ for GG market?

True but every time the US Dollar changes I do not go and change all my CAD $ purchased items to reflect the current market value. Just like in 10 years I will not be taking inflation of the Dollar into account and raising the numbers.

I was hoping to capture a snapshot in time, i.e. at purchase time what I paid for the item.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always put "won in GG lottery with 5 GG" in the notes field.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Goddard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Lucky wrote:
But you didn't pay that much Geek Gold for the game. You bought a raffle ticket with Geek Gold and got lucky.

But that doesn't change the fact that I paid a certain amount of X and got Y in return. I did pay geekgold for the item, just not in a standard marketplace situation. Maybe since it isn't "real" money it gets a little messy but I would like to note that I purchased the game for 5 Geekgold, even if it was for a draw and I won. If I bought a lottery ticket for $1 and won a car, taxes excluded I would think of it as winning the car for $1. Today I've noted it in the other section.

Dr Lucky wrote:
Also, in a practical sense, this will not get much use. I certainly wouldn't use it. Of course, if it had a drop down for currency, there would be no harm in including Geek Gold on the list of options.

There already is the list, thats what I am referring to expanding. See the private info section of any game details.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mgoddard wrote:
Howitzer_120mm wrote:

True but every time the US Dollar changes I do not go and change all my CAD $ purchased items to reflect the current market value. Just like in 10 years I will not be taking inflation of the Dollar into account and raising the numbers.

I was hoping to capture a snapshot in time, i.e. at purchase time what I paid for the item.

Right. So use the GG:$ ratio at the time you got it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krishna Sampath
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
OM | Cal alum | Trekkie | BGG! | Crosswords | Lawyer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mgoddard wrote:
If I bought a lottery ticket for $1 and won a car, taxes excluded I would think of it as winning the car for $1.

Sure, you could think of it as winning that car for an expenditure of $1, but that misses the point that you gambled and won.

In such a situation, you would not write "Price Paid: $1" (say, on a tax form!). For resale purposes, the car was a prize, and the subsequent purchase price would not be determined by what you paid for the ticket, but by the fair market value (or computed up from the wholesale price, or whichever method the dealer you're trading it in to uses to milk you for as much money as possible!).

-K

EDIT: I realized how "lawyerly" that third sentence sounds only afterward. Well, I am a lawyer, so maybe it's excusable...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mgoddard wrote:
When I went to add the game to my collection I went to Price Paid and realized there was NO option to select a GeekGold amount!.

I paid many of my games in DM, and there isn't an option for this, too. Or in SFr for a few games.

About 170 other official currencies are also missing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Heaton
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Come back Bale...
badge
In 'Arry we trust!
mbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
mgoddard wrote:
When I went to add the game to my collection I went to Price Paid and realized there was NO option to select a GeekGold amount!.

I paid many of my games in DM, and there isn't an option for this, too. Or in SFr for a few games.

What you guys don't get yet is that GeekGold is being discussed as a replacement for the dollar as the main currency by which to value ACTUAL gold...and rightly so, I'm pretty sure that in a few years GeekGold will be at parity with the US dollar anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Goddard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Werbaer wrote:
mgoddard wrote:

Excellent point! If only there was a place you could make a kind of "request" so in future if they decided to make a change they might incorporate your "request" into said changes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Goddard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Krishna wrote:
In such a situation, you would not write "Price Paid: $1" (say, on a tax form!). For resale purposes, the car was a prize, and the subsequent purchase price would not be determined by what you paid for the ticket, but by the fair market value (or computed up from the wholesale price, or whichever method the dealer you're trading it in to uses to milk you for as much money as possible!).

I guess thats what I would use "Current Value:" for is to identify what the current market value would be. I would have both what I paid and then an estimate for the market value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raven Johnson
United States
Schaumburg
Illinois
flag msg tools
I disagree, the correct input there is "free". Or, if allowed, "Won". I think "Won" and "Gift" should be available if they are not currently available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Powers
United States
Marble
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Lucky wrote:

Well there are the GG auctions too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.