BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Is a game suitable for inclusion in the database if rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If the game has a cd or dvd required to play the game?

I know Monopoly Tropical Tycoon requires the dvd to play, and I imagine some of the Atmosfear games do as well.

However it seems the media adds something to the game

I ask because I purchased a 'boardgame' today that seems to be an ecnomy simulator, and it does have a die, 6 tokens, and a board, but seems like its really meant to be a "computer" game and had the board tacked on to either allow multiple players, or meet some requirements for publishing.

I think it should be added in, but dont want to waste time taking photos and documenting it, if its going to be rejected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
So this is a CD/DVD-Rom that needs to be loaded on a computer? Audio CDs (e.g. Space Alert) and Video DVDs (e.g. Scene-it) are definitely OK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Holmes
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sorry, yes, that is a key distinction, with Monopoly Tropical Tycoon and others, it seems you just need a device that plays cds or dvds.

As far as I can tell, the game I'm refering to does need a computer to properly play it, along wth the board, die, and tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Tietz
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say that requiring a computer would make it a computer game, not a board game. Just my personal opinion though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Plumley
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
And it ABSOLUTELY needs this DVD? Or just is greatly made easier by using this DVD? After all, I can think of some games that are made easier by spreadsheets and such. If that's the case, then definitely include it. If not, then... I'm not sure.

I would include it, personally. If it's a game that everyone still sits around together, with a board and such, and has one machine (computer?) needed to run it, then let it go. What's the difference between an interactive DVD and a basic computer program?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Plumley
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
On second thought... I also say to include it, just because I wanna see what this game is you're talking about.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Plumley
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
On second... er... third thought... I think the ultimate litmus test for this is...

Let's say I lost everything for the game except the disc. Can I still play the game? Or does it really need all its components as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
myles
United States
Mustang
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
KNEEL BEFORE ZOD !!!
badge
100 geek gold and this is all I get? :p
mbmbmbmbmb
Submit it as a new game entry and be very clear about how the game plays and the need of the computer to play. Then let the mods decide if it is acceptable. If it is not, I bet you'll be able to add it to video game geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Plumley
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Another other other question...

What role does the software component actually play?

If it's a matter of spitting in a little information, and then letting it crunch and present the data to you, then it's probably still a game, and they just gave you a bit of software to let you skip over tedious number-crunching and turn-by-turn maintenance, kinda like, as mentioned earlier, using spreadsheets for some games to make it fast and easy.

But if it's something where all players sit in front of it, take their turns on it, and so on... then you might not call it a board game anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Plumley
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Is there a name of this game we could Google-search for and look at some more information, perhaps?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Kikola
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
billsayswow wrote:
On second... er... third thought... I think the ultimate litmus test for this is...

Let's say I lost everything for the game except the disc. Can I still play the game? Or does it really need all its components as well?

I agree. I think this should be the deciding factor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.