Popular Tags: [View All]
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing PG for a while and have been enjoying it. After some plays of bigger scenarios, I've started to think of the ranks in PG as a little odd. In PG, a good-order leader can activate his unit and all units in the surrounding hexes. It seems odd that a Lieutenant could do this, since as I understand it, a Lieutenant commands only a single platoon (i.e., one counter).

As I understand army ranks:
- Sergeants command a squad (not even represented in PG)
- Lieutenants typically command a platoon (one counter)
- Captains command companies (about 3 infantry counters plus some support weapons)
- Lt. Colonels command battalions (about 20 or so counters)

Maybe I'm over-thinking this. I suppose maybe I should just consider the ranks as "level 1, level 2" and not worry about who commands what, just what the chain of command is.

I guess I'm used to miniatures games where a command stand has command over a specific set of units, so that I tend to view attack/defense task as being doled out to particular formations. Any thoughts from PG veterans?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Consider that there are a lot of sergeants etc not represented by counters. A Sgt 1st Class or Staff-Sergeant could lead a plato

on.

I think of the listed officers (particularly the Sergeant NCOs) as being those who make a difference. Obviously, there would be A LOT of SGTs in a battalion (which is what is often represented, sometimes even two battalions are in the bigger battles).

Majors are battalion executive officers where the Lt. Col often commands. Again, they may or not be present as most OOB list those present as "elements of the XX Battalion/Brigade/etc..."

Your higher ups (Col. etc) may or may not be present. Depending if they want to get their feet wet.

It's never bugged me. I just see it as those with ability and initiative are represented.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
It was fairly common in the German army for platoons to be led by senior NCO's and companies to be led by Leutnants, more so as the war progressed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindgaard
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
badinfo wrote:
It was fairly common in the German army for platoons to be led by senior NCO's and companies to be led by Leutnants, more so as the war progressed.

Promotion by attrition !

Quote:
Maybe I'm over-thinking this
Yes !

The way I see it, PG leaders are a way of representing the overall quality and efficiency of the command stucture.

Armies with well trained, experienced officers and lots of radios ( late war americans ) will have many leaders with high morale score and many modifiers, while poorly equipped, badly trained armies ( early war russians ! ) will have a few, low morale leaders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.