Popular Tags: [View All]
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
What is the reasoning for the first bid in a Charter auction to be $50 and all subsequent raises to be by $5? This would seem to penalise the first bidder and to make seating order unduly significant, especially in a larger player-count game. Allowing the initial bid to be any multiple of $5 over $45, and subsequent bids to be any multiple of $5 over the previous bid allows for more interesting, and aggressively predatory bidding, which seems a Good Thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hudson
United States
Vermilion
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree entirely and that's how we play it. How high to open a charter auction should be an import decision. I talked about this in the session report I've been posting, which I can see now might be perplexing to those who've read the current beta rules.

Looking at the 0.41 rules I see that the word "minimum" was left out of the "To hold a charter auction" steps on page 9. Additionally, Step 2 should say "multiples," not "increments."

What also was left out (this time intentionally) was any discussion of an opening maximum bid. I can see some potential problems here but I'm leaving it alone for now.

So, to recap:

A charter auction's minimum opening bid is $50 (there is no maximum);
Subsequent bids must be a $5 multiple of the current high bid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Thanks. That makes a lot more sense.

It is probably also a good FAQ candidate until a new ruleset is issued.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Geary
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
november wrote:

Subsequent bids must be a $5 multiple of the current high bid.

Perhaps you mean "a multiple of $5 over the current high bid"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.