Recommend
11 
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Chit Chat

Subject: So, I took a leek.... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: cranky_rant [+] [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
And cut it in half the other day to make soup.

Look at this leek! It's a mutant!



What the hell!
11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oddly, just tonight I had potato leek soup.

But our leek didn't look like that inside. gulp

I looks like it probably tasted OK though...right?

Edit: We had different wine also. Rex Goliath from Freddy's, $4.99 a bottle FTW!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You killed the Pod People!
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikki Ebright
United States
Centennial
Colorado (CO)
flag msg tools
badge
New Avatar! So much Excite! Photo credit to Debbie Ohi, who is Awesome!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My husband makes oh so tasty potato leek soup. I have to be careful not to eat too much, but it's so good.

I have no idea what a leek is supposed to look like. He makes the soup and I stay out of the kitchen until it's ladle time.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lil Red Head wrote:
I have no idea what a leek is supposed to look like. He makes the soup and I stay out of the kitchen until it's ladle time.
It's suposed to look like a big fat onion stem - long straight whitish-greenish leaves wrapped around each other to make a smooth stalk. If you were to cut it across the stem it would look like a bullseye, along the stem you get straight lines.

It is not supposed to look like weird layered lumps inside.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This growth pattern is indicative of an ovule stack that germinated due to endospermic hypertropism...I'm sorry, I'm just making this shit up. Did it sound promising?
42 
 Thumb up
0.30
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
zorazen wrote:
And cut it in half the other day to make soup.

Look at this leek! It's a mutant!



What the hell!


Almost looks like you took a pea...



Sorry.
25 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
Ewing
New Jersey
flag msg tools
Christmas Card Exchange: 2009 - 2014
badge
I play at EPGS on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of the month and if you live in Eastern PA, Western NJ or Northern DE ... you should too!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
This growth pattern is indicative of an ovule stack that germinated due to endospermic hypertropism...I'm sorry, I'm just making this shit up. Did it sound promising?


Yes, right up to "I'm sorry, ..."

I was thinking, "Wow, There is an expert in everything on the geek, this guy's some kind of plant scientist, that's pretty cool"

Then I realized he wasn't soblue
10 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Give it some time, Joseph. A botanist or close approximation will eventually wander in here and explain it.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
Prolly some of that Monsanto Genetically Modified leek.
yuk
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Wilson
United States
Pleasanton
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to know I'm not the only one who's seen a leek like that. My wife, with a Masters in Botany, couldn't explain it. Not that she studied leeks much.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
This growth pattern is indicative of an ovule stack that germinated due to endospermic hypertropism...I'm sorry, I'm just making this shit up. Did it sound promising?


You know, You pretty much had me until I read the second line.laughlaugh

We grow leeks, and I've yet to see an oddity like that.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You drink wine in 5L bottles?
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought this was going to be an At the Gates of Loyang Session Report.



4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
daw65 wrote:
Good to know I'm not the only one who's seen a leek like that. My wife, with a Masters in Botany, couldn't explain it. Not that she studied leeks much.


It just looks to me like a mole pushed the reset button on the leek about three times before it got bored (no pun intended) and tunneled away.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a cabbage like that. I was doing cabbage rolls (a Greek thing with spiced mince meat and rice wrapped in cabbage leaves). But every second layer of cabbage was like it was full of Brussels' sprouts. I barely managed to get to get enough intact leaves from this cabbage to do the rolls. I had to line the pan with alfoil (you're supposed to use the unused leaves).
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
zorazen wrote:
And cut it in half the other day to make soup.

Look at this leek! It's a mutant!



What the hell!



Hmmmmmmmmm.........you should add it the Mature pics thread!!!!! Looks suspiciously overtly sexual or something!!!!!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Empress
Japan
Nogata, Nakano-ku
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Cringing Dragon wrote:
I had a cabbage like that. I was doing cabbage rolls (a Greek thing with spiced mince meat and rice wrapped in cabbage leaves). But every second layer of cabbage was like it was full of Brussels' sprouts. I barely managed to get to get enough intact leaves from this cabbage to do the rolls. I had to line the pan with alfoil (you're supposed to use the unused leaves).


Recipe please?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
You drink wine in 5L bottles?


......


What?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Toggy wrote:
Cringing Dragon wrote:
I had a cabbage like that. I was doing cabbage rolls (a Greek thing with spiced mince meat and rice wrapped in cabbage leaves). But every second layer of cabbage was like it was full of Brussels' sprouts. I barely managed to get to get enough intact leaves from this cabbage to do the rolls. I had to line the pan with alfoil (you're supposed to use the unused leaves).


Recipe please?
OK. if I can remember in the morning... I'm just out on R&R and have been drinking...wine... mostly...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
zorazen wrote:
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
You drink wine in 5L bottles?


......


What?
Yes. You got a problem with that?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
zorazen wrote:
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
You drink wine in 5L bottles?


......


What?


We all know how big a leek is. So, evidently, you drink wine from very large bottles. Lush.

Also, did you spin your leek?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikki Ebright
United States
Centennial
Colorado (CO)
flag msg tools
badge
New Avatar! So much Excite! Photo credit to Debbie Ohi, who is Awesome!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Lil Red Head wrote:
I have no idea what a leek is supposed to look like. He makes the soup and I stay out of the kitchen until it's ladle time.
It's suposed to look like a big fat onion stem - long straight whitish-greenish leaves wrapped around each other to make a smooth stalk. If you were to cut it across the stem it would look like a bullseye, along the stem you get straight lines.

It is not supposed to look like weird layered lumps inside.


Maybe I'm tired, but this is what I got out of that:

...onion ... leaves ... smooth stalk... lumps.

Heh.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
admin
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
zorazen wrote:
And cut it in half the other day to make soup.

Look at this leek! It's a mutant!



What the hell!


KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!!!


(but not before seasoning with salt, black pepper, and a hint of lemon)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Toggy wrote:
Cringing Dragon wrote:
I had a cabbage like that. I was doing cabbage rolls (a Greek thing with spiced mince meat and rice wrapped in cabbage leaves). But every second layer of cabbage was like it was full of Brussels' sprouts. I barely managed to get to get enough intact leaves from this cabbage to do the rolls. I had to line the pan with alfoil (you're supposed to use the unused leaves).


Recipe please?
OK.

Take a whole cabbage, cut the stem out, and boil it in a big pot of water for 10 minutes - enough that the leaves are soft enough to roll up but not thoroughly cooked. Drain it and let it cool down (you don't want to burn your fingers)

Put 1kg of mixed lamb and pork mince in a big bowl ("ground lamb and ground pork" I'm guessin' for you American types), but beef could be used instead I guess. Mix with 3 diced onions, 1 egg, a good dose of garlic, paprika and pepper, plus salt if you're that way inclined (I add very little salt, but this is the time to add it if you're going to), and whatever fresh herbs you have on hand (parsley and chives are good, so is mint).

Peel the leaves off the cabbage - the first few tough outer leaves use to line a pot/big saucepan, and set a couple aside.

On the remaining leaves, cut out the central rib if it's too stiff to roll up. On each leaf, place a couple of tablespoons of meat (rolled into a fat sausage), and roll up the leaf around it, then place them in the pot - pack them in pretty tightly.

Pour into the pot enough stock to cover (vegetable or chicken stock usually, but whatever good stock you can get). If forced to use stock cubes or powder then make it half strength and use the water from cooking the cabbage to make up the stock. Put the reserved cabbage leaves over the top, and cover with a lid.

Cook on the stove - just barely simmering - for 45 minutes. Drain the rolls before serving (the liquid can be used as stock in other dishes). These are lovely served with a lemon sauce - 1 cup of the cooking liquid + juice & zest of 1 lemon + 2 egg yolks, thickened with cornflour.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.