Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Heaney
United States
Quincy
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, first things first. I got very lucky with both card draws and rolling for battles, but the end of the game was abrupt and strange:

The Seven Years War card was second from the bottom of the Blue Deck (the Draw Pile). I had played 3 cards per turn from the Pile, along with a couple of "safe" card draws by Bougainville over the course of the game. I began the "last" turn with only 2 Blue-titled cards face down in the Draw Pile and 3 bottomed French cards. I drew one card: 7 Years War Erupts! (Shesh, about time). Bottomed the Red Deck, then drew the last card in the Draw Pile, "Militia Dissolve." I reach for third card of the turn . . . no cards in the Draw Pile, just bottomed cards.

OK, rule 6.1 says, "If the Draw Pile is exhausted, stop drawing. Do not shuffle any Bottomed cards!" So, I don't. I resolve the British and French turns (throwing the last English leader, Johnson, off the continent.) Housekeeping phase next and check for victory: "If there are no Unbottomed cards in the Draw Pile, the game ends."

There weren't, so I guess I won without actually fighting the Seven Years War. (Story-wise, it seemed my total victory in the early war with no remaining British leaders on the map and all British Armies at their starting positions kept the larger war from breaking out.)

Perhaps 6.1 should be modified to say, something like ". . . unless the Seven Years War Event has been drawn this turn. If so, shuffle all Bottomed cards and continue drawing cards for the Historique Phase." But, as the rules are written now: I win! (Unless of course I'm overlooking something, which is usually the case.)

Nevertheless, that was an enjoyable game. Monckton kept knocking on the Louisburg gates and I kept chasing him away with draws and slight victories. Forbes marched down from the North, only to be defeated a couple of times and finally destroyed. Braddock and Monro both marched into ambushes and were wiped out without any return fire. (Even better, was that I ambushed Monro at Fort William Henry with Huron allies. "Stay alive, no matter what happens. I will find you!")

While there were a couple of tense moments, the host of fives and sixes I rolled combined with the small forces available to the Brits made that first game more of rout than a challenge.

I can't expect to be so lucky next time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll tweak the rules to explain this a little better. You DO have to get those 7 Years War cards into play!

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.