2 Posts

Caledea: The Epic Strategy Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Multiple units in square: must attack together? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Meng Mao
msg tools
My friend has a unusual reading of this rule:
"When multiple units are involved in an attack... Combat continues in this manner until one of the players has no units remaining in the square."

He claims the meaning is that should you choose to attack, all units on the square from which the attack originates (who are able to move and within striking distance of the targeted square) must participate in the attack.

Under his interpretation, if I have 2 fresh cavalries on a square and want to attack an adjacent enemy unit, I cannot attack (and announce to that effect) with only one unit. So if that first unit's attack is defeated, then I am forced to attack with the second unit.

My interpretation is that as long as you announce it, you can attack with any subset of units on a square, and only those units are bound by the fight to the death rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your interpretation is the correct one. An attack takes place on the defender's square. The attacking player must therefore physically move units into the defender's square before the attack is resolved. Although two or more units sharing a square may be moved together a single action, they never have to be moved together.

All units that you have chosen to move into the defender's square, however, must fight to the death.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.