Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks,

there have been questions about introductory worker-placement games or steup-ups from Stone Age or Agricola or Le Havre.

But there has been no question on the other side of the spectrum - THE APEX OF WORKER-PLACEMENT!

Which game does fit that category?
Which one is the meatiest, heaviest, longest and/or everything of that combined?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Frazier
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
I still prefer the granddaddy -- Caylus. It's the first worker placement game I ever played, and it's still one of the most complex.

The rules themselves aren't that complicated, but the strategies are. This is a game that, like Chess, you play once and think you understand the rules. You play again and get your ass handed to you by an experienced player, but you think you grasp the strategy. "Oh, *now* I understand what to do!" And then you get your ass handed to you again. And again. And again. Change up the strategy, rinse, and repeat.

Every time I peel this onion, it makes me cry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I´d say Agricola is the longest and haevies, but Caylus is not far behind.

Maybe Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery is even more heavy, but i´ve not played it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Antiquity?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
efrazier wrote:
I still prefer the granddaddy -- Caylus. It's the first worker placement game I ever played, and it's still one of the most complex.

The rules themselves aren't that complicated, but the strategies are. This is a game that, like Chess, you play once and think you understand the rules. You play again and get your ass handed to you by an experienced player, but you think you grasp the strategy. "Oh, *now* I understand what to do!" And then you get your ass handed to you again. And again. And again. Change up the strategy, rinse, and repeat.

Every time I peel this onion, it makes me cry.

Exactly.

Caylus - The original and the deepest.

N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder... are there no deeper or heavier games than Caylus?
Indeed, its strategies are quite endless and there are many paths to victory, but still...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
Agricola is the apex, though I think the position that either Caylus or Le Havre have that spot is a reasonable one to have.

As for whether there are deeper or heavier games than Caylus? Yes, of course there are. Have you played the 18XX games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
doubtofbuddha wrote:
Agricola is the apex, though I think the position that either Caylus or Le Havre have that spot is a reasonable one to have.

As for whether there are deeper or heavier games than Caylus? Yes, of course there are. Have you played the 18XX games?

I meant in the field of Worker-placement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Smith
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't figure out how to perma-link this, but you can go to the worker placement mechanism page:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgamemechanic/2082/worker-p...

Then under "Linked Items", you can sort by weight. Top 6 in order:
Caylus
Le Harve
Neuland
Stronghold
Mecanisburgo
Agricola

Granted it's more fun to ask people, just thought I'd throw it out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, yes... searched for how to sort them by something, I just used the Game Search

But also the Weight rating is somewhat subjective and as you say I would like to hear people's oppinions. For instance because I think that Caylus really is not the heaviest worker-placement game out there, and for me it is at least on-par with Agricola or Le Havre. Subjectively cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you stretch the definition a bit you might call Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization a worker placement game. And this one is certainly a complex beast of game! It is also pure brilliance in a box.

The reason why it doesn't quite compare with other worker placement games is that there is no competition for spots to place your workers in. Each player has their own cards to place their workers on. Apart from that, I'd say it is a worker placement game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Grimes
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bolger wrote:
If you stretch the definition a bit you might call Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization a worker placement game. And this one is certainly a complex beast of game! It is also pure brilliance in a box.

The reason why it doesn't quite compare with other worker placement games is that there is no competition for spots to place your workers in. Each player has their own cards to place their workers on. Apart from that, I'd say it is a worker placement game.

I believe that would make it worker management.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Todd
United States
Bloomington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got it, The Climbers!

Ha! In your face other-boardgame-recommender-type peoples!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Lantz
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
greyareabeyond wrote:
I've got it, The Climbers!

Ha! In your face other-boardgame-recommender-type peoples!

Sigh. Darn. You won...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about Dungeon Lords or Stronghold?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J S
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stronghold?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Dean
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Pound for pound, the amoeba is the most vicious predator on Earth!
mbmbmb
Dungeon lords is complex but not especially deep. Calling Stronghold a worker placement game is stretching it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Reynolds
United Kingdom
Gosport
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being my only Worker-Placement game in the collection I'm going to back Stone Age!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
opks22 wrote:
Stronghold?

See? The question mark at the end of my question? See? ninja

Anyways, it is listed as "worker-placement" so the poor slob who added it to the database like that will pay with blood then!!!! goo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.