Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

The Republic of Rome» Forums » Rules

Subject: A few questions after a first round rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Noakes
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hola,

Just picked up the game yesterday and, after poking out all those wonderful components, set up a schizophrenic soll three-player game to work through the rules and see this thing comes together.

A few things popped up along the way:

1) If a mortality chip is drawn for a senator away at war (which means he must be a procounsul), does that leave the army/navy stranded and inactive with the war until recalled by the Senate? Can a new commander be sent out alone as reinforcement to continue the battle?

2) When does Repopulating the Senate take place? In a 3-player game, the moment the Field and Rome Counsuls are sent to war, the Senate population will dip beneath 8. What if an epidemic is dawn during the Forum phase; does a stricken Faction have to wait until the Senate phase to pick up replacements? Does this happen before the Rome/Field Counsuls are assigned?

3) When do the Major markers leave a senator? Are they only open to prosecution the round after they held a Major Office, or for the rest of the game?

4) How (or when) do Tax Farmers / Mining / Land Commissioners go Corrupt?

and finally....

5) (This probably wouldn't happen in a real game, but still...) Can a Senator head to war, turn around, and then march on Rome and win the game on the first round? (In my experimental game, the Rome Counsul also had the Ship Concession. The Field Consul got himself killed in a Stalemated naval battle with the Punic War while the very rich Rome Consul took the legions to crush a smaller enemy. Laden with money and troops, it seemed easy for him to return to an undefended Rome, ending the game vry quickly.)

Sorry for all the fiddly questions... any help very much appreciated!

-M.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
1)
Quote:
1.09.9 .. Any force without a commander is automatically recalled at this time.
Just before wars are resolved.

2) You only repopulate Rome in the senate phase, and it occurs immediately when there are less than 8 aligned senators in Rome. Consuls out fighting wars are not in Rome. If it happens in the forum phase, you will not repopulate Rome until the start of the senate phase.

3) 1.09.45 At the end of the prosecution phase, all major and corrupt markers are removed. You do this even if there were no actual prosecutions.

4) The corruption marker is reset each turn. In the income phase, if a gorvernor takes provincial spoils, he gets a corruption marker. If legions or fleets are built, the senator with the armament or shipbuilding concession automatically gets marked corrupt (even if he doesn't want to). Tax farmers don't result in corruption, as screwing the peasants isn't a crime.

5) Well, he could, but every legion he fails to recruit (Roll of 5+ per legion (Early republic), +1 per talent per legion) joins the senate army. He would have to be very rich and lucky. Besides which, he counts as one of the 4 wars that loses the game, unless he wins.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Weloi Avala wrote:
Hola,
1) If a mortality chip is drawn for a senator away at war (which means he must be a procounsul), does that leave the army/navy stranded and inactive with the war until recalled by the Senate? Can a new commander be sent out alone as reinforcement to continue the battle?

[snip]

5) (This probably wouldn't happen in a real game, but still...) Can a Senator head to war, turn around, and then march on Rome and win the game on the first round? (In my experimental game, the Rome Counsul also had the Ship Concession. The Field Consul got himself killed in a Stalemated naval battle with the Punic War while the very rich Rome Consul took the legions to crush a smaller enemy. Laden with money and troops, it seemed easy for him to return to an undefended Rome, ending the game vry quickly.)
-M.


Hey, I still haven't received my copy yet...whistle , so I only have the AH version to go on, BUT... from that version weren't mortality chits only applied to guys in Rome. Has that changed with this version?

Regarding marching on Rome, be careful of some players. I played with a couple of guys who seriously considered it every time they had guys in the field. To do it well can involve some work ahead (big treasury, many vet & loyal legions, other wars, etc). From AH version, it was also easier in the middle and later republics.

Can't wait to get mine.
Jason
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Noakes
United Kingdom
Redhill
Surrey
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Weloi Avala wrote:
4) How (or when) do Tax Farmers / Mining / Land Commissioners go Corrupt?


I've just stumbled across the Errata, which seems to suggest that corruption occurs on the Tax Farmers, etc, when the Senator collects income from those as well. I was wondering why they had the corruption space on those cards if they couldn't go bad....

Ah, and here's the relevant bit from the errata:

1.07.32 CONCESSIONS: Two sentences should be placed in the middle of the paragraph: "Generating revenue on a Concession reveals that
concession’s corrupt bar listed on the card. This indicates that the Senator is liable to a Minor Prosecution during the next Senate Phase."

-M.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have the original version. Since I was basing my answers on the online rules, I didn't see tax farmers mentioned. I don't remember the rules in the originaL version, but I thought you could be prosecuted for any concession. If they have a corrupt area, then you probably can.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Pavitt
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
iamspamus wrote:


Hey, I still haven't received my copy yet...whistle , so I only have the AH version to go on, BUT... from that version weren't mortality chits only applied to guys in Rome. Has that changed with this version?



Quote:
1.05.21 MORTALITY RESOLUTION: Whenever a Mortality Chit is
drawn the chit indicates that the Senator whose numerical ID matches
that of the chit has died. If the named Senator does not exist or is not
alive, there is no effect. In the event you need to draw more than one
chit (whether through Draw 2 chits, combat losses, or events) these
chits are laid out and not returned to the cup until the appropriate
amount of chits have been drawn [EXCEPTION: If a “Draw 2” marker
is drawn, it is immediately returned to the cup and two more markers
are drawn (i.e. it does not stay out)]. It is possible (although unlikely)
that a “Draw 2” marker could be redrawn several times in the same
turn resulting in three or more deaths in a single turn. Once all the
needed Mortality Chits have been the drawn chits are then returned
to the cup.


No mention of current location.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nyhotep wrote:
iamspamus wrote:


Hey, I still haven't received my copy yet...whistle , so I only have the AH version to go on, BUT... from that version weren't mortality chits only applied to guys in Rome. Has that changed with this version?



Quote:
1.05.21 MORTALITY RESOLUTION: Whenever a Mortality Chit is
drawn the chit indicates that the Senator whose numerical ID matches
that of the chit has died. If the named Senator does not exist or is not
alive, there is no effect. In the event you need to draw more than one
chit (whether through Draw 2 chits, combat losses, or events) these
chits are laid out and not returned to the cup until the appropriate
amount of chits have been drawn [EXCEPTION: If a “Draw 2” marker
is drawn, it is immediately returned to the cup and two more markers
are drawn (i.e. it does not stay out)]. It is possible (although unlikely)
that a “Draw 2” marker could be redrawn several times in the same
turn resulting in three or more deaths in a single turn. Once all the
needed Mortality Chits have been the drawn chits are then returned
to the cup.


No mention of current location.

During the Mortality Phase, location does not matter. If drawing mortality chits during the Forum Phase (e.g. for an Epidemic), the Senators must be in Rome to be affected.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AHA,that's what I was remembering. Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.