Recommend
4 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Advanced Squad Leader» Forums » Rules

Subject: DRMs ... Have I got it right? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leong Yew Lam
Malaysia
Seri Kembangan
Selangor
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
This is the situation:

Playing Le Herission ... I have my CE assault gun (SIG I) start up, move up the road 2 hexes, changed VCA 1 point and stop (so i used up 4 MPs out of 12 MPs) then fire at a stack of concealed frenchies in a stone building during the Advancing Fire Phase. What are the DRMs here?

I have +2 (advancing fire phase fire), +4 (changed VCA 1 hex point for NT gun), +2 (concealed units) and +3 (stone building TEM)= +11....which makes it impossible to hit but i get to put an acquired -1 counter on the target. Is that right?

Assuming the target did not get out of the way, i will now have the following DRM for Defensive fire during the French player turn : +2 (concealed), +3 (Stone building TEM) and -1 (acquired -1) = +4 total. Hope i've got it right. Can someone clarify please?

Assuming i get a hit, does the target still get the +3 DRM for TEM? Of course, the concealed status will not count any more and they lose concealment status.

Tactically, should I use area fire in the above case? ..and if so, which column of the IFT should be used if a hit is achieved?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Smith
Australia
Footscray
Victoria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmb
Also remember that you cannot get normal Acquisition against a Concealed target; You can only get Area Acquisition. So if you fire ITT, you can't place an Acquisition counter at all.

That's one reason to use Area Target Type against Concealed targets.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

I think Binko has the right DRMs; Ben makes a good point re ATT and acquisition.

Binko wrote:

Area fire attacks at half the FP. So the only time you would want to use Area Fire is probably at long range when the To Hit chance is much better.


Normally I'd agree but the sIG IB is a gnarly beast, with a 150mm MA. Even at halved firepower it still hits on the 12 column. Let's look at your chances either way, in the upcoming DFPh:

Infantry Target Type: Base 8 To Hit, with +2 DRM for Concealment and a further +3 for Stone Building TEM - you need to roll a three or less (8.3%); success brings a roll on the 30 column with no DRMs, where any result is a 1MC or better. So, overall you have an 8.3% chance of inflicting a result.

Area Target Type: Base 7 To Hit, with -1 DRM for Acquisition, +2 for Concealment, and no TEM DRM for an ATT shot - you need to roll a six or less (41.7%); success brings a roll on the 12 column where the +3 TEM DRM now applies - you have a 41.7% chance of an NMC or better (58.3% chance of a PTC or better). Here you have an overall chance of 17.4% of inflicting at least a normal morale check.

So, you have an interesting choice - ITT allows you to bring the pain in a serious way (KIAs on the 30 column up to 5) but the ATT doubles your chance of a meaningful result. The sIG IB has a circled B9 Ammo Depletion number, meaning it won't be around long - you need to make every shot count. In this case you might forgo the 30 column jackpot in exchange for a much better chance of making the French roll a morale check.

Just one more thing that makes Le Herisson a nice puzzle after all these years.

JR

10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Two more points outside the scope of Lamskiy's initial post, relevant to the sIG IB and Le Hérisson:

- With a circled B9 ammo depletion number I'm reluctant to fire acquisition shots in the AFPh.

- I think these critters are best used as smoke platforms supporting the infantry attack. If they get too aggressive some saucy Frenchmen are going to pop out and burn them down to the roadwheels (CC modifiers: -1 Street Fighting/-1 No MGs/-2 OT Vehicle). That CVP cap could soon loom large.

JR

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leong Yew Lam
Malaysia
Seri Kembangan
Selangor
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
jrtracy wrote:

I think Binko has the right DRMs; Ben makes a good point re ATT and acquisition.

Binko wrote:

Area fire attacks at half the FP. So the only time you would want to use Area Fire is probably at long range when the To Hit chance is much better.


Normally I'd agree but the sIG IB is a gnarly beast, with a 150mm MA. Even at halved firepower it still hits on the 12 column. Let's look at your chances either way, in the upcoming DFPh:

Infantry Target Type: Base 8 To Hit, with +2 DRM for Concealment and a further +3 for Stone Building TEM - you need to roll a three or less (8.3%); success brings a roll on the 30 column with no DRMs, where any result is a 1MC or better. So, overall you have an 8.3% chance of inflicting a result.

Area Target Type: Base 7 To Hit, with -1 DRM for Acquisition, +2 for Concealment, and no TEM DRM for an ATT shot - you need to roll a six or less (41.7%); success brings a roll on the 12 column where the +3 TEM DRM now applies - you have a 41.7% chance of an NMC or better (58.3% chance of a PTC or better). Here you have an overall chance of 17.4% of inflicting at least a normal morale check.

So, you have an interesting choice - ITT allows you to bring the pain in a serious way (KIAs on the 30 column up to 5) but the ATT doubles your chance of a meaningful result. The sIG IB has a circled B9 Ammo Depletion number, meaning it won't be around long - you need to make every shot count. In this case you might forgo the 30 column jackpot in exchange for a much better chance of making the French roll a morale check.


Thanks to all who clarified. Learnt something new here. The big surprise for me was acquisition cannot be earned against concealed targets (gotta check the ASLRB).

All the while, i suspected that using ATT would give me better chances of doing some damage, or to wait for concealment to be stripped from targets before blasting them; i.e. using infantry to fire at them first and then the SIGs if they lose concealment.

I am normally conservative with vehicles and support them with infantry close by to ensure that them no good frenchies don't pop up and CC them while in urban areas.

Cheers
-Lamskiy-
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. R. Tracy
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lamskiy wrote:


Thanks to all who clarified. Learnt something new here. The big surprise for me was acquisition cannot be earned against concealed targets (gotta check the ASLRB).



Not quite - as Ben says, Infantry and Vehicle Target Type acquisition can't be earned versus concealed targets, but Area Target Type acq can be.

JR
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.