BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Recommend me a game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lubomir Lisichkov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
Hello all.

We are a small group of friends playing some board games every week from around 1 year ago. We have played the following games : Catan, Kingsburg, Game of Thrones and Citadels.

The reason why i am posting here is becouse we have some spacial requirements abouth the games we playing - we want confrontation between the players, some intrigues and threachery.

The game that fit in this subject at most is The Citadels may be. But we have played this game a lot and we are bored now.

On other hand Catan and Kingsburg involved a way to many dice roles, while Game of Thrones, in my opinion, is a little unbalanced.

Here is my request - recomend me a game that :

1. Have confrontation between the players
2. It's not cooperative ofcourse
3. Do not use to may dice roles

Thanks in advance

Honin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
El Grande has a lot of competition between players and it has no dice, in fact the only luck is what action cards are drawn at the start of each round.

Louis XIV, Taj Mahal or Tikal all involve varying degrees of sneaky play to the detriment of opponents and no dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Small World should fit the bill quite nicely. It's all about confrontation between players with almost no dice rolling in sight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean johnson
United States
Edinburgh
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that Intrigue might be the game you are looking for. It is full of treachery, back stabbing, and deception.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mb
if you want a serious game, I can advise Tigris & Euphrates , it's a lot of confrontation, but not really backstabbing though...

Mall of Horror is a perfect "stab your friend in the back game" but does not contain any fighting between players, it's all about diplomacy.

SmallWorld is ok but once again no backstabbing of any kind, and no diplomacy. (to my opinion, no real strategy either)

You have to be aware that most of the time, lot of confrontation = high potential of king making.
Smallworld is all about king making, Mall of Horror as well.
Tigris & Euphrate does quite well in that regard.

Hope that helps a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lukac
United States
McKeesport
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try either Agricola (stealing resources or action spaces for theft and confrontation) or Le Havre, but I like the earlier suggestion of El Grande.

There is one game I really enjoy that has some luck (via card drawing, not dice), but has lots of backstabbing and confrontation, and that game is Rheinlander. Barons, knights, churches, castles, duchys, and taking said items away from your opponents. What more could you want in a game?

Hope this helps you out a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mb
jlukac wrote:
You could try either Agricola (stealing resources or action spaces for theft and confrontation) or Le Havre, but I like the earlier suggestion of El Grande.

I don't know El Grande and I willing would like to try it.
About Agricola and Le Havre or more generally worker placement games, I would recommend Caylus, at least as clever and deep, but more confrontation than Agricola (prevot, castle etc...).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
.308 Jake
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Encounter is what you're looking for!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mb
trippercook wrote:
Cosmic Encounter is what you're looking for!

That actually might be true!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I´d say Sutter's Mill is a good couice for you, maybe Brass: Lancashire too, even if the attacks on the opponent are only indirect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toco
Belgium
Oost-Vlaanderen
Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
www.tocoking.be/hotspot
mbmbmbmbmb
Splut! ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) might work too. There is dice rolling to resolve combat, but that's it.

The rest of the game, in my opinion, is all about making alliances, breaking alliances, backstabbing and convincing other to backstab for you.

However, it is a long game and does take up a lot of space to play, so it may not fit all your requirements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Mays
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Along with cosmic encounter, Rush n' Crush might be another one to look at. It does have the dice aspect to it, but you use them in a push your luck kind of a way - so it's not strictly a dicefest. Plus it would be significantly different from the other games your group has been playing, which also might be good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with a few others. You most certainly want Cosmic Encounter. It has confrontation, no dice and lots of backstabbing.

You might also want to check out Warrior Knights. This seems to also have what you're looking for.

Finally I would say to take a gander at War on Terror. It has everything you are looking for except it does have die rolls for various things. Still the game is an absolute riot.

~ Bones

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Russell
United States
Bend
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely try El Grande. I think it will give you the most bang for your buck. Lots of intrigue and in-fighting. I think you would like Small World, too. I think the Small World: Grand Dames of Small World and Small World: Cursed! expansions really help to up the ante. I think that Dominion would be really fun for you as well. There's not a whole lot of screw-em-over options, but enough to keep things fun. Dominion: Intrigue helps out a lot in this area.

Good luck. I think any of these will be a great addition to your collection. Have you tried Carcassonne yet? That can get nasty, especially with an expansion like Carcassonne: Expansion 4 – The Tower.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lubomir Lisichkov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
Thanks a lot for the replys

I cannot diside between El Grande and Small World. Which one should fit better in my preference ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Evans
United States
Stanwood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion would be Small World. Easier to teach and simple to grasp. Would also suggest Fairy Tale, Dominion with certain cards, and my favorite Tales of the Arabian Nights. Not too much confrontation but it is one game where you will have a laugh and joke for a while afterwards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Chaput
France
Veneux les sablons
flag msg tools
mb
Honin wrote:
Thanks a lot for the replys

I cannot diside between El Grande and Small World. Which one should fit better in my preference ?

I think El Grande is more a gamer's game
Smallworld is easy to teach and can be played with anyone

I guess you'll find more strategy in El Grande
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.