Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: GiroGalappo [+] [View All]
Kevin Heffernan
Japan
Sanda City
Hyogo Prefecture
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I asked my 5 year old daughter if she would like to watch TV after dinner. She responded, "No, I want to play the horse race game." A game wins over TV?? This is a good sign.

This is how we play it.

She picks a colour and plays as per the rules. I control the remaining riders. She spreads her hand out on the table, and strategicly picks her card after doing a bit of counting to make sure she is not going to hit an obstacle. I shuffle the other hands before we start, and stack them in piles in front of me. When she is ready and has picked her card to play, I turn over the top card from each of the stacks, which the other riders then use as their move. This way she is playing against a bunch of randomly moving riders. The randomness of the other riders results in them often hitting obstacles and gives her and edge. Thus, she tends to do well, always finishing in the top three, and often winning, but it is still a close game every time and lots of fun.

I can tell by the way she picks her cards that she is not quite ready to face me as an opponent, but it will not be long now.

Edit: Haha... after writing this, I convinced her to let me control one of the riders straight up to see if she could do well against a thinking opponent. She made me eat my words. We left the other three horses in on random mode, and she came in second. As for me. I was fourth. Those damn random horses kept hitting me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Willy Adam
United Kingdom
Co. Down
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for this simple idea, it's a great variant! My 5-yr old really likes it and we also play with 3 automated random horses. He came 2nd and 3rd in his first two games (I came 1st and 4th!) so it sure is a fun way to play it already at this age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.