Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Mazur
United States
Endicott
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Got my copy in last night and immediately set about finding people that were free to play. Ended up with my girlfriend April who had played a lot before, and her friend Kevin that had previously only played a couple games, spread out over several decades.

First game was a swift lesson in how brutally efficient some of the milder seeming powers can be.

We dealt only the new aliens out as choices. I picked Locust over Leviathan, April went with Disease over Plant, and Kevin chose Seeker over Sniveler.

First encounter was Kevin attacking me with Disease as their ally. Since I had a rather low hand (2 Negotiates, a 4, a 6, 3 artifacts, and Sniveler wild flare) I answered instantly when they asked if I was going to play an attack card of 10 or higher. I dropped a Negotiate and used Emotional control to turn his into one as well. We swapped flares as the deal.

Second encounter played out the same, except with me ditching my second N to get compensation as they both took a colony in my system.

April was the second player, and my system was flipped via a special card as her first encounter. She immediately used her power to get a second colony in my system, then successfully attacked without allies to get a third.

For her second encounter Kevin's system was flipped, and she again attacked without allies. He looked sort of surprised at her answer of yes when he asked if she was going to play an attack card of 15 or higher, but took me as an ally in the hopes of beating her anyway. The 30 she played made certain that we both lost, giving her her fourth colony.

At that point we realized that as soon as Kevin's or my system was flipped the game was over, unless we were able to take out her power. Unfortunately our hands were full of Negotiates. Both our encounters were against her and followed the same pattern: both players play Negotiates, then she declares no deal to end our turns and send ships to the warp. Two minutes later, for the first encounter of her second turn, my system was flipped and she automatically won.

The game clocked in under 15 minutes, with probably half of that being setup and reading the new power cards. The rewards deck never had a single card drawn from it.

Second game was a more leisurely affair, clocking in closer to 1.5 hours long.

April chose Fury, I chose Magician, and Kevin chose Leviathan.

This game was a lengthy back and forth. Kevin lost his power fairly early on, due to losing a fight where he launched a world ship and me taking two foreign colonies in his system. At that point he became obsessed with driving people out of his system, slowly wearing me down from three colonies, to two, and eventually down to one at the end of the game.

We had an inappropriate amount of fun with the Leviathan wild flare, swapping planets between Magician and Fury's systems. The flare then went to Leviathan, but he never got to use it before having to discard his hand for a new one.

Rewards deck saw much more use this game, with several crooked deals, rifts, kickers, and negative attack cards. Due to bad hand problems, we had some truly ridiculous encounter showdowns centered around the negative cards. Magician attacking Leviathan's empty planet with 1 ship and Fury allied also with one ship, then playing a -4 to win against Leviathan's Negotiate (he had played two face down.) This was immediately followed by Leviathan attacking Fury with one ship and another Negotiate to lose against her -7 attack card.

I had what was probably an obscene amount of luck throughout the game. Leviathan's power caused some big wins, but was kept in check by Fury's tokens. They consistently only drew each other when attacking, letting their high attack powers negate each other. Magician is partly a luck based power; as hands get smaller, you will run into situations where the other main player is forced to put down their only attack card and a Negotiate. A 100% success rate of picking up the attack card and leaving the Negotiate led to several automatic victories on my part.

Leviathan definitely showed it's strength by smashing people with world ships, at one point reaching an attack total of 65 with a 40 attack card. It lost too easily on defense though and spent most of the game trying to regain colonies in its home system. Magician's power helped me win a lot of encounters by picking the right one of their face down cards, but between the extra cards gained that way and ones gained from compensation, I never drew a new hand the entire game and often had to depend on luck sacking my picks of their face down cards in order to win. Fury won the game straight out via her tokens. She slowly accumulated then until she had 11 on her sheet and was up to 3 foreign colonies. Thanks to a Moebius Tubes a few encounters before, she had all her ships and launched two successful attacks in a row. The first one she played a high attack card (23? don't recall) to win. The second one she played a 3x kicker card, a 10 attack card, and used all 11 tokens to get up to 67 total, easily smashing the 33 we mustered for defense and taking the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the session report! It's a good case study as to why you have to be very careful inviting Disease as an offensive ally...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hoare
United Kingdom
Chippenham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djkc wrote:
First game was a swift lesson in how brutally efficient some of the milder seeming powers can be.

Interesting how people percieve the strength of powers differently when just reading the description.

When my group first encountered Disease ( I played it and it's an old favourite of mine) it was instantly targetted for power removal and token denial. I only got to "spread" once before I lost my power.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
Great session report! Just one clarification:

djkc wrote:
He looked sort of surprised at her answer of yes when he asked if she was going to play an attack card of 15 or higher, but took me as an ally in the hopes of beating her anyway.

This sounds like Seeker asked his question before inviting allies. That was possible back in the Eon days, but FFG limited their version of Seeker; it has to wait until after allies are committed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mazur
United States
Endicott
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
It was more than 5 minutes ago, so I can't remember for certain, but I believe we played it correctly. He was planning to take me as an ally regardless due to it being her fourth colony that she was going for, and I'm fairly certain he had already done so before using his power. I'm just going to claim poetic license for the phrasing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mazur
United States
Endicott
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Miser wrote:
Interesting how people percieve the strength of powers differently when just reading the description.

When my group first encountered Disease ( I played it and it's an old favourite of mine) it was instantly targetted for power removal and token denial. I only got to "spread" once before I lost my power.

That's why I placed the short bit about player experience at the beginning. And I politely left out the actual dialog from the game - the "Really? You're taking her as your ally on the attack? You did read her power?" and "You're doing it again?" on my part plus an occasional "Mwa ha ha ha ha!" on April's part. It was the second time we've played the game with Kevin, and there's definitely still an issue where he only values the strong attack powers as being powerful. Hopefully he picked up on the fact that Leviathan kept losing due to bad hands in the second game and will start to change his evaluations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.