Popular Tags: [View All]
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Watching Tom Vasel's video review, it seems like I might need two copies of Memoir '44 base game, plus two copies of Eastern Front, to play this scenario.

Is that correct? Or would one copy of each suffice, plus one copy of Operation Overlord?

(Frankly, the same question probably applies to the Tigers and Hedgerow scenarios too.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
carl67lp wrote:
Watching Tom Vasel's video review, it seems like I might need two copies of Memoir '44 base game, plus two copies of Eastern Front, to play this scenario.

Is that correct? Or would one copy of each suffice, plus one copy of Operation Overlord?

(Frankly, the same question probably applies to the Tigers and Hedgerow scenarios too.)

That is correct. I get along fine with the Operation Overlord set and a single copy of each.

If you're flush with cash, it looks nicer with 2 copies of everything though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Wired_Wolf wrote:
If you're flush with cash, it looks nicer with 2 copies of everything though.

Definitely not flush with cash at the moment (we just put in an offer on a house), but down the road it might be nice to have two copies of each.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Krach
Germany
Potsdam
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My german internet shop says that you need an Terrain Pack as well to play the included standard scenarios (not the Overlord). Maybe Tom mentioned it, i have not seen the video by now.

http://www.spiele-offensive.de/Gesellschaftsspiele/Brettspie...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Periplaneta wrote:
My german internet shop says that you need an Terrain Pack as well to play the included standard scenarios (not the Overlord). Maybe Tom mentioned it, i have not seen the video by now.

Thankfully I have the Terrain Pack already; in fact, I'm only missing Eastern Front, the winter/desert board, and the "mini" expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Periplaneta wrote:

Keep in mind though, the Sword of Stalingrad map (as well as all the overlord map packs) has everything printed on it already. So all you really need is the units.

Yes, though, if you want to play the accompanying scenario's (2-player maps), you'll need the other sets.

Edited for comprehension (mine).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
carl67lp wrote:

This is what you need to play each battlemap.

Hedgerow Hell - Basegame and Operation Overlord needed. (2 basegames needed if you want figures for all units)

Tigers in the snow - Basegame, Eastern Front, Operation Overlord needed for the overlord scenarios. (2 basegames, 2 eastern fronts and 1 Mediterranean Theater needed if you want figures of the correct colour for all units.)
Standard sceanrios also needs Terrain Pack.

Sword of Stalingrad - Basegame, Eastern Front and Operation Overlord needed to play the overlord scenarios. (2 basegames and 2 eastern fronts needed if you want figures for all units)
Standard scenarios also requires Terrain Pack.

Stig Morten
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thanks, Stig! Very useful stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's worth noting that, if money is an issue, you can play the Battle map series with just one base set, even if you don’t own even one copy of any other expansion.

Units are the first problem, of course. There are other ways to extend your units to meet the scenarios requirements. You could easily use 1 figure + a small die, or 1 figure + whatever other tokens you may have on hand (pennies, poker chips, A&A tokens). If you don’t own the appropriate “Theater” expansion figures, you can make-do with using the figures from the base game in their place.

As far as the Command Cards, you can also manage with one set of regular Command Cards in a pinch.

None of these are ideal, of course, but if you’re willing to make some sacrifices and deal with some minor inconveniences it is possible to play the Battlemaps without owning anything beyond a base game. This doesn’t apply to the single-board scenarios included with some of the battle maps, however, as you would need the appropriate terrain to use those.

I should add that I speak as someone who owns one set of everything released so far for M44 (except for the bag, can’t bring myself to buy that one) and has contemplated second copies of some of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Anderson
United States
New Boston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mb
RedShark92 wrote:
I should add that I speak as someone who owns one set of everything released so far for M44 (except for the bag, can’t bring myself to buy that one) and has contemplated second copies of some of them.

I'm like you--I have no intention of buying the bag. I went with a Plano tackle box behemoth instead.

In the future, though, once money isn't as tight, I plan on fleshing out the collection, probably with a second copy of many of the expansions (after a second base set, mind you).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ad79 wrote:
This is what you need to play each battlemap.

Hedgerow Hell - Basegame and Operation Overlord needed. (2 basegames needed if you want figures for all units)

Tigers in the snow - Basegame, Eastern Front, Operation Overlord needed for the overlord scenarios. (2 basegames, 2 eastern fronts and 1 Mediterranean Theater needed if you want figures of the correct colour for all units.)
Standard sceanrios also needs Terrain Pack.

Sword of Stalingrad - Basegame, Eastern Front and Operation Overlord needed to play the overlord scenarios. (2 basegames and 2 eastern fronts needed if you want figures for all units)
Standard scenarios also requires Terrain Pack.

Stig Morten

Great overview, thanks!

It reads like TitS and SoS need the most stuff here. I own one copy of the base game and each army pack, would that make enough units so that I can play those maps? Futhermore, since I have those five armies (i.e. five different colors) would that work so that each player only gets two "colors"?

It would be cool if there was an overview of the battle maps, showing how many units of which type you'd need to play them...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.