Popular Tags: [View All]
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Just curious here... you see Arkham horror, cheap, on the shelf. You ask yourself who are you going to play this with?
Poll
1. Say your wife loves pandemic, and isn't opposed to playing anything if you explain it well enough.
Yes, Arkham Horror is an awesome game for you and the spouse.
Yes, it's an awesome spousal game, but not much better than, say, Pandemic.
No, Arkham Horror isn't awesome.
2. Say your wife loves Pandemic, and makes fun of people playing D&D?
Yes, Arkham Horror would still be a great game for you and the spouse.
Yes, but not much better of a 1-on-1 than Pandemic.
No, Arkham Horror wouldn't be a good game.
      41 answers
Poll created by bippi

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett R.
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While Arkham Horror isn't ideal with 2 players due to the size and (sometimes) dificulty of the game, this is easily made up for by playing two characters each. Overall a great game though, I play it with my roomate all the time this way and it's our go-to game if we've got a few hours to kill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc nadeau
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Depends if you have childrens, AH take a while to set up the first times, so i recommend you to use boxes for the cards and tokens.

With my wife we play it but it also takes a 6-place table, and we love to take our time thinking the best strategy so we often play the game on 2 seperate evening as game takes us 3-4 hours (that where childrens come into play as letting the setup on the table could be difficult).

But it's a great game if you like the theme, it's very immersive.

As brett said, we play 2 character each.

My wife love Pandemic too.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife loves Pandemic and this was a complete flop with her:

-Length
-Complexity
-Theme
-Setup and takedown time

Of course, your wife may love it though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darren williams
Wales
maesteg
bridgend
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is so going to be my next buy/trade after successfully introducing Runebound to Mrs Jethro who loved the sense of progress and story etc, and kicking my butt! A co-op game with some mystery and character is a sure thing......please!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Philipp
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OP - my wife was interested in AH but it is kind of long an unweildy for her.

BUT there is an answer!

Witch of Salem.

Feels like Arkham, but plays in a third of the time and much less complex mechanics. Still a tough game to beat however.

One of my wife's favorites!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
nmadd wrote:
My wife loves Pandemic and this was a complete flop with her:

-Length
-Complexity
-Theme
-Setup and takedown time

My wife also loves Pandemic but I wouldn't even begin to try to get her to play AH, for the above reasons. I do read on here now and then that people say their wife or girlfriend really loves the game, so you never know, but I would not use interest in Pandemic or other cooperative games as any kind of gauge for her possibility of liking AH.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InGA
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I answered your poll as the majority did.

AH is a great game. But people may hate it!

If you want to play AH with your spouse then do one of two things:
- Go to an AH game run by an experienced player.
- Play it solo (2 or 3 investigators) until you know the rules backwards and forwards!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Winfrey
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is your wife an HPL fan? I think that would make a huge difference. YMMV, but I think by and large HPL knowledge/interest tends to skew more male, maybe a lot more.

Everyone says AH is really fiddly and takes forever. (Even the fans.) If so, a casual gamer might get turned off, especially if she doesn't really give much of a hang for the (uber-fiddly) mythology behind the whole thing. I will go through a fair amount of hassle, false starts, and ten-minute rules searches in the hope of eventually getting a chance to empty two shotgun barrels into a Mi-Go. I mean, KEWL.

She might not, on the other hand. I'd try before you buy if at all possible.

I also think your chances of success are much higher if you can drag another couple into this as well. It's not so much that the game will work better, though it will, but that the social aspect will shine. Especially for newer players, this can be a huge help. I never ask my GF to play 2P Last Night on Earth, for instance, although she loves it when we get the group together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher KrackerJack
United States
Portsmouth
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
AH is a fantastic couple game, especially for a non-gamer wife. Cooperative play and immersive theme always work well for non/semi-gamers. Add in the "us against the Great Old One" aspect and it is a constant winner.

If your wife is not a gamer, be prepared to handle the administrative tasks of the game (overhead, fiddliness, whatever you call it.) My wife and I have played regularly for 4 years and I still have to "run" the game. But we still have fun with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
superflypete wrote:
potza4 wrote:
While Arkham Horror isn't ideal with 2 players due to the size and (sometimes) dificulty of the game, this is easily made up for by playing two characters each. Overall a great game though, I play it with my roomate all the time this way and it's our go-to game if we've got 8 hours to kill.

LOL fixed.

8 hours is generally enough time for 4 games of AH. Last rotation of eight games was slightly up from previous games, but average is still well under 2 hours (after 104 plays).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bippi wrote:
Just curious here... you see Arkham horror, cheap, on the shelf. You ask yourself who are you going to play this with?

On playing AH with SO read this review and even more importantly the discussion below.

For me and my girlfriend this is one of our top 3 favourite games (fine with two, better with three, haven't try with 4 yet, with more it's not supposed to be that good). The same goes for staff at my FLGS where they highly value it and a lot of them play it 2 player with their girlfriends.

However, if you or your spouse do not like to be immersed in a character, this is not a game you'll like. With this game it's not saying that you'll like it cause a lot of couples like it, you either love the theme or are better not trying. If you do immerse yourself in a game it's a blast.

We just played the previous weekend and were devoured in half an hour, on turn 7 (7th turn, 7th portal, Azathoth wakes up, game over), played again, saved Arkham. But they were two totally different games, the first was a romantic story of hopelessness (E A Poe), the second was more of a noir detective story. So yes, it's fun.

EDIT:
PS - 1) We own pandemic but are bored with it. We play it occasionally with non-gamer friends. But otherwise Ah is the main dish. If you find AH too much to handle try Ghost Stories, it's supposed to be between Pandemic and AH in terms of complexity.

2) Yes, one fo you (you of course) must handle all the rules. This is why it is possible to play rečatively heavy AT game like AH with non-gamers - they don't need to know all the rules (because it's co-op anyhow). The rulebook is a bit messy when you try to search for something, you can find rewritten rules under files section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
To really love Arkham Horror and be happy playing it and want to play it often, you really want to be a fan of Lovecraftian horror. If you don't like Lovecraft or you don't know Lovecraft, then this is probably not a good choice relative to things like Pandemic.

Of course, neither of them is nearly as good as Red November, but you didn't ask about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Culp
United States
Gillette
Wyoming
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife loves this game. For a long time she liked it more than I did. I did most of the "book-keeping". but as she's played it more she does more of that, and its really fun for both of us. She likes the co-op aspect of it.

She also enjoys Pandemic, but compares it to watching a movie vs a tv show. more indepth, and less puzzly. more of an experience game than pandemic is.

we haven't played any of the other major co-op games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.