Subject: Does anyone still play it ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Antoine SAULIERE
France
LAGRAULIERE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fan of space combat game (love attack vector ) i just bought SFB from a bgg member.

does anyone here still playing it; perhaps by vassal ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing it by e-mail right now. Haven't played it face to face in forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish. I haven’t played in years, but I truly love this game. Alas, I don’t have the time now to reread the rather voluminous rules or commit to playing, but I wish you happy hunting.

Go Romulans!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Patterson
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't play, but there's still an active community, new material, and the option of online/email play if nothing else:
http://www.starfleetgames.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
delp1871 wrote:
I wish. I haven’t played in years, but I truly love this game. Alas, I don’t have the time now to reread the rather voluminous rules or commit to playing, but I wish you happy hunting.

Go Romulans!

I'm the opposite. I've never played, but I read the rules daily.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine SAULIERE
France
LAGRAULIERE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Franco, perhaps you speak french ? And so we can play face to face via vassal ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The answer is most certainly 'yes!' There's a few of us around here, and a good community at ADB's forum (the website given above).

There is no Vassal version, but there is an online client: SFBOL (which I really need to get around to trying myself....) It is subscription based ($15/three months), with a trial month, but it handles the SSDs, sequence of play, etc, so a lot of programming went into it. http://www.sfbol.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just another player chiming in that yep, I play, and it's one of my favorite games. Sadly, I've found that I just can't play boardgames online. The mental space is different for me, somehow. Good luck in starting in and finding opponents!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Cox
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also Federation Commander which I try to play every other week.

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Brazouck wrote:
Franco, perhaps you speak french ? And so we can play face to face via vassal ?

Thanks for the offer, but as mentioned, there is no Vassal version. And I too just prefer unplugging when I play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Count
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I haven't played in a long time, and have played Federation Commander: Klingon Border instead lately....but I bought the Captain's Edition in 2009 to try it out and play it again (I had everything from Pocket to Commander's before I stopped playing), so I hope to play it again in 2010.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antoine SAULIERE
France
LAGRAULIERE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps i will try to make a Vassal or ZunTzu Module, but i'm wondering about my rights to do that.

I play solo with cadet training pdf of the SFB website, but i'm hungry to play full game !!!

I hope the postman will be fast this time cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
Brazouck wrote:
Perhaps i will try to make a Vassal or ZunTzu Module, but i'm wondering about my rights to do that.

I play solo with cadet training pdf of the SFB website, but i'm hungry to play full game !!!

I hope the postman will be fast this time cool

Vassal Modules for SFB have been started and posted. but are quickly squashed by the powers that be. They are one of the companies that believe that in allowing Vassal, play the negatives outweigh the positives.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Vassal Modules for SFB have been started and posted. but are quickly squashed by the powers that be. They are one of the companies that believe that in allowing Vassal, play the negatives outweigh the positives.

Yes and no. ADB does allow modules for Federation & Empire, so it's not an "anti-Vassal" thing. It's more that there is an existing solution out there for SFB and FC, it pays license fees to ADB, and they in return keep it as 'the' online solution. ADB does have worries about what would happen if electronic copies of SFB got out there, and are quite harsh about it (especially compared to the likes of GMT Games), but that really has to do with copies of the rules and (more particularly) the SSDs.

There is, sadly, also ADB's contract with Paramount to keep in mind. The particulars are not known, but ADB was running under the interpretation for many years that any SFB-related software was verboten. So, a fan-made Vassal module or damage allocation program would potentially get ADB in trouble with Paramount, especially if ADB did not act on it.

Thankfully, that interpretation has been found to be more restrictive than the actual language of the contract.

All of that said, the rights to distribute a Vassal module of any game are those that the rights-holder will give you. Which in the case of SFB and FC will be none, because they're interested in SFBOL making money. (Which is better than some companies, who will not grant permission and don't have any other plan in place....) You can, of course, still make a module, for your own use, and that would come under fair use. Once you start handing that out to other people, I'm not sure exactly where 'fair use' would stop, though. I'd be careful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The VASSAL thing doesn't matter much to me because I think SFB is so complex to model in VAASL engine. I am a big fan of the game. Although I haven't played it for more than 10 years (maybe more), I bought the 25th Anniversary Master Rule. I am prepared to read it for the rest of my life. I am serious about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I loved this game. I didn't own it, so when I moved I didn't have a copy and there was no one to play it with.

It was a great game and I would jump on playing it again if I could.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Dedeaux
United States
Fontana
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't played in a while, but probably will again given time and player(s). I recently taught my cousin who enjoys it, but he's somewhat of a beginner still.

We use a software program made by Thorsten Kern (spelling may be off) to help with the visuals and record keeping...and to send orders back and forth. It's similar to the online version, but for PBEM. It does require 3 ppl (min) though, 1 vs 1 + mod.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Blank
United States
Unspecified
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Love the game, still play by e-mail. I am in one game right now. Play Fed Commander occasionally face-to-face. That is also a great game, and is easier for many to get into, ruleswise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it a lot back in the day.

About 8 years ago, when I was learning Visual Basic programming, I got back into it in a big way, creating a massive player aid (kept track of EA Forms, SSDs, movement charts, weapons restrictions (cannot fire Phaser Gs within 8 impulses apart, etc), rolling damage, etc.

It was pretty decent. By no means was it all encompassing (but then again, I have never met someone who has used SFGs, although I'm sure someone in this world does), so some rules were left out. Problem was, I never could find anyone to playtest it (I didn't know about BGG back then), so I gave up on it and haven't touched it since.

I have bought FC since then. I only get to play it solitaire because I know of no other FC players in the area and don't understand online gaming.

FC is more enjoyable, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Johnson
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was first introduced to SFB back in 1983 in a high school SFB club.
It was a great club that set up weekend games of mass fleet battles (don't play with drone cruisers and carriers, it grossly slows down play and clutters the place with drones), and various every-man-for-himself games, such as the Hat Game: put your name on a piece of paper and put it in a hat, blindly select a name from the hat; you must go after that person's ship. We would play out battles brought about by clashes on a Federation Space strategy game or a smaller campaign map.

One campaign was interesting: it had the Gorns attacking the Romulans who just fitted out their fleets with cloaking devices and R-Plasma Warbirds. The Gorns attacked the Romulan border bases, finding out that they stumbled into gigantic ambushes of cloaked sublight ships. A follow-up campaign had the Romulans counter-attacking the Gorns to seize their border territories and destroy their line of bases. The Romulans were agonizingly slow, but had superior numbers and weapons against their middle-years reptilian opponents, although mostly they had squadrons of snipe frigates with F plasma torpedoes. A third following campaign was the Gorns attacking the Romulans again for payback and to reclaim their territory, only to find out that the Romulans have tactical warp technology and Klingon KR cruisers.

These mass fleet battles were also played out quickly using the Introduction/Cadet game and I earnestly recommend using these rules to bring new gamers into the hobby and bash out games between seasoned grognards. Use the counters in the Fast Patrol Ships Module K along with the Basic Game for mass cadet ship clashes.

But now, I hardly ever get a chance to play SFB. I tried Federation Commander and liked its fast, streamlined play, but edited out aspects that slowed the game down (repair, shield rotation, etc.). The damage allocation in FC is great and resolves itself much quicker than the dice fest of SFB.

Now, the folks in Amarillo released Klingon Armada and Romulan Armada, based on the Starmada spaceship combat game system. Touted as being a simple, fast-moving fleet action game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Johnson
United States
Castle Rock
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I put together a file of SSDs for the SFB Cadet Game and FC First Missions Game, all obtained free from ADB's website. Along with rules and SSDs for the sub-light game from the SFB Commander's Rules, Module Q, updated with addenda from 1986.

Star Fleet Battles Cadet & Federation Commander SSDs (14.42 mb):

http://rapidshare.com/files/368626308/Trek_Star_Fleet_Battle...

or

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ON4ALXRE

The files have to be unzipped.
I recommend WinRAR or 7zip, both are free and work well.
Or I can mail you a CD of the material.

Happy phasers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Eitzen

California
msg tools
I still play it with some friends.

We're going to do Conquest's Gate from CL#40 tomorrow.

A true case of quantity (an early years base and a fleet of 11 old Klingon ships vs a Hydran X-cruiser with a couple gunboats and 9 megafighters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds very interesting. What does CL refer? How many players are going to play this?

I hope a VASSAL module would have been made available publicly for all and I am sure then this game will become a hit and on everybody's table again soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
CL=Captain's Log, the in-house magazine that covers all their games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Talbert
United States
Federal Way
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe CL in this case is Captains Log, which publishes new scenarios and ships for Star Fleet Battles and Federation Commander.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.