Filipino Fruit Market» Forums » General

Subject: What are the circles on top of the cards for? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
They don't seem to be tied to card value, aren't referenced in the rules, and don't seem to differ in number [from the image gallery, there seem to be six circles on every card].

They remind me of the circles [in fact, the entire card design reminds me of] in Flaschenteuful, but those have an in-game purpose [if I remember from what I read] and differ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. N. Dominick
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just assumed they were leftovers from using the Bottle Imp card layout template, and thus safely ignored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
atholbrose wrote:
I just assumed they were leftovers from using the Bottle Imp card layout template, and thus safely ignored.

That's rather... odd.

It would have taken like 15 seconds to erase them.

Why leave leftovers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Good question. Another good question is, why are there phantom pineapples on many of the cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Worthington
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
2010 Releases ........................................ The Resistance, Haggis & Triumvirate ..................................... Now accepting submissions for 2011 releases ........................................ www.IndieBoardsandCards.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll ask Bambus on the circles, but I susspect that they are filler from Flaschenteufel as described.

Whil I hadn't noticed any ghosting on the cards (they were after all printed in Germany by a reputable printer), please geekmail me the cards that have been affected and I will replace them for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Panethiere
United States
Kirkwood
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
T Worthington wrote:
I'll ask Bambus on the circles, but I susspect that they are filler from Flaschenteufel as described.

Whil I hadn't noticed any ghosting on the cards (they were after all printed in Germany by a reputable printer), please geekmail me the cards that have been affected and I will replace them for you.

They aren't ghosted on the cards, they are actually printed behind the Mangoes and Lanzones. For example my Mango cards 1-9 have the Pineapple behind them but the 10 does not.

Upper left and Center

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
metalchorus wrote:
T Worthington wrote:

They aren't ghosted on the cards, they are actually printed behind the Mangoes and Lanzones. For example my Mango cards 1-9 have the Pineapple behind them but the 10 does not.

Upper left and Center

Creeeeepy.

Oh well, off the wish-list. That would drive me crazy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peer Sylvester
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry to reply so late, Ive been on a holiday.

Its a kind of a funny story: The graphic designers havent made any previous games before (but we wanted filipino artists) and since were sitting in Europe and they in Southeast asia I send them Links to the BGG pictures of Bottle imp with the vague notion "something similiar". They added the circles, because they were there on the Bottle Imp cards.
When the first samples arrived (via Email) we pointed out, that they didnt serve any play value, but they thought they were looking aesthetically good. And they would fit the theme becuase they do represtent coins and you buy stuff on the market (not really, but thats the stroy anyway). So after some discussion we left them there.

I personally like them - if we would have left the place blank it wouldnt have looked as good. If we would have removed them, we would have to substitutem them with something else.

So its not a leftover its a (design-) feature

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:
Good question. Another good question is, why are there phantom pineapples on many of the cards?

Yep, the "background" pineapples are quite strange. My first inclination was that they are remnants of sloppy card artists... which, so far, appears to be correct.

Thankfully, they don't impact the game other than generating questions from detail-oriented new players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
NateStraight wrote:
metalchorus wrote:
T Worthington wrote:

Upper left and Center

Creeeeepy.

Oh well, off the wish-list. That would drive me crazy.

Oh, just think of it as the pineapple being trumped. You'd be missing quite a fun game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.