Peter Gousis
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, instead of hijacking someone else's thread I figure I would start a new one here about this subject. So here are a few thoughts I have on diplomacy as it stands.

1) While I don't think it is perfect, I think it does what it is intended to do.

2) I think it is intended to be hard to get large neutrals and this system makes it difficult but not impossible. You are spending lots of influence to get any kind of decent chance of getting a neutral as there is only 4 in 30 (or 13%) chance on each card.

3) Small neutrals are more roadblocks than actual targets for recruitment. If you are spending influence to recruit these guys then I think you are spending way too much time getting influence when you could actually be getting units through recruitment.

4) As for the large blocks of neutrals. I think if you took the time and influence it takes to get a large herd of them together then you deserve to get them. You don't decide where the monsters flee, the person to your left does, so if you have spent a few influence to guarantee they flee, and the action to set up a way to make them flee to the same spot then I think you deserve them. And even then it isn't guaranteed that you will get them.

5) Don't forget you still have to maintain the stacking limits while keeping at least one of your units in the same spot. If you can take out their units the neutrals revert.

6) I think influence would be too underpowered if you change up this rule. Remember 1 influence is equal to 1 Tactics card at the beginning. Tactics cards are usually very good. Some will even give you runes to help win the game. You need influence to help win bids for things and if you are spending a lot getting neutrals you won't be winning many bids. The system the way it is make you have to make choices with your influence which I think is a good thing.

So to sum up my opinion, while not perfect it is a pretty good system as is. As a fledgling game designer I can see how changing it a little would make a lot of other things have to change as well. Sometimes these things are like a house of cards. I think the thing most people have a problem with is the theme of it. If you can just accept that these guys don't want to be involved in the war (hence neutral) and you are trying to talk them into joining (not fighting them) I think this will be a lot easier to accept.

This is just my opinion though, I would love to hear everyone else's too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wells
United States
Centralia
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice comment. I don't have any problems with diplomacy, or any other parts of the game for that matter. Thematically, I think this works fine. I imagine a few leaders of the army approaching a couple dragons, beastmen and hellhounds and trying to convince them to join your cause. I don't suspect that would be easy, and would take a lot of influencing on your part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.