Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am creating a fan based expansion for Agricola. I am posting the cards here for review. I am putting more cards per thread because I think making one thread will cause people to not see the latest posted cards. This is the penultimate set of occupations.

Efficiency Expert

At the end of the game, you receive one Bonus point for each type of
Building resource (wood, clay, reed stone) of which you have none.

Chief's Wife

At the end of the game, you receive 1 Bonus point for each member of the Chief’s family played, including yourself (Chief, Chief’s Wife, Chief’s Daughter, Chief’s Son). Occupations that may be played immediately due to the Chief being played may also be played as if this card were the Chief.

The Chief has a daughter, right? Well, it made me think: what about the rest of his family?

Chief's Son

If another player plays the "Chief" card, you can play this card immediately at no cost. (You can also play it using an Action in the
usual way.) At the end of the game, you receive one Bonus point for each player with a Stone house of any size or a Clay hut with four or more rooms.

Migrant

Place a Guest Token on this card when you play it. Starting next round, you may place your Migrant like a family member to take actions. During the harvest, you must feed the Migrant 2 food. If you are unable or
unwilling to feed the Migrant, you not only receive Begging cards, but you must move this card and the guest token on it to the player to your left. Playing this card costs an additional 2 Food.

Originally, you only lost the Migrant and didn't get Begging cards, but that was too powerful. The Migrant is still very powerful though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You would probably need a caveat that the migrant is fed after all other family members... or just say that if you have to take ANY begging cards, the migrant leaves.

I think this is way too strong by the way.. it is essentially a round one Family growth with no room for two food. You could further limit it by stipulating that the migrant moves into your house when a room is available.. preventing Family Growth for the time it takes to build one additional room.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I like the Efficiency expert. The Chief's Wife is too weak if you are using all of the decks, but might be fine if using a limited deck including all the Chief cards. The Chief's son should be a 3+ card.

The Migrant is vastly overpowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to agree; the Migrant is far too strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
How about this for the Migrant:

"Place a Guest Token on this card when you play it. Starting this round, you may place your Migrant like a family member to take actions. At the start of each Round, you must feed the Migrant 2 food. If you are unable or unwilling to feed the Migrant, you not only receive Begging cards, but you must move this card and the guest token on it to the player to your left. Playing this card costs an additional 2 Food."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mil Myman
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Efficiency Expert is a fine idea, but it conflicts with improvements like the Joinery, Pottery, and Basketmaker's Workshop.

It could be improved by changing it to "1 point for each building resource that you don't have more of than you're scoring bonus points for." So if you have the exact number of wood to score 1, 2, or 3 points with the Joinery, you still score one point with the Efficiency Expert for the wood.

And it's still a little weak, you could add Food, excess Grain and Vegetables, and animals for additional points, maybe. IOW, you get a point for everything you don't have in excess of what you're scoring points for.

OTOH, since animals, veggies, grain, can all be converted into food, maybe they should all be lumped together for the purpose of scoring max 1 additional bonus point. So the card is worth a maximum of 5 points: W, C, R, S, and "all edible things".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
smcmike wrote:
"Place a Guest Token on this card when you play it. Starting this round, you may place your Migrant like a family member to take actions. At the start of each Round, you must feed the Migrant 2 food. If you are unable or unwilling to feed the Migrant, you not only receive Begging cards, but you must move this card and the guest token on it to the player to your left. Playing this card costs an additional 2 Food."

2 food/round might be a bit much but 1 food/round might work right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Buggy wrote:
2 food/round might be a bit much but 1 food/round might work right.

2 food/round might be a bit much, but 1 food/round is not enough. After Round 8 that's the same as 2 food/Harvest. In Round 14 it's less.

At 2 food/round the card is an interesting challenge, but still a potentially powerful card. In the early rounds you could use him to simply empty fishing/TP to keep him fed while denying everyone else food. Later you should be able to develop a food engine and turn him into more useful actions. Remember that you can almost always turn an action into 2 food, and also that the cost of the Guest is 2 food, and he only gives you one action.

Also, making him cost 2f/round could give you an interesting option with the Mendicant (or user-created Begging-related cards): wait for your opponent to show an opening, then voluntarily take the begging cards to pass him and give your opponent some Beggars of his own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Harms
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Can you seriously just keep these all in one thread?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
WithLove wrote:
Can you seriously just keep these all in one thread?

OK, I'll tell you what. I'll add the next two occupations to the end of this thread and if they get replies, I'll keep using this thread and if they don't get replies, I'll go back to new threads.

Both of these occupations are untested because I so rarely play 3+ play games, so I am especially interested in opinions.

Rustler

If you are the last person to play a Family Member to take an action in a round, at the end of the Return Home phase, you may take one animal from one Action space.

Sneak Thief

If you are the last person to play a Family Member to take an action in a round, at the end of the Return Home phase, you may take one resource or food from one Action space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the restriction of being the last player to place a family member makes these Ocks too weak, though they may be of more utility in an FotM game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I like the ideas of both the Rustler and the Sneak Thief. It's hard to evaluate balance, though, since I don't keep track of how often I go last, or how much control I have over it. In general, I think they are underpowered in tight games, but overpowered if their player has a big FG advantage. If you are even with other players on FG, you have no control over going last, and these cards will only give an intermittent benefit. If you get a jump on everyone, and can use these abilities every round through the middle of the game, you could dominate the board (even more than you already are with your extra family members).

In other words, probably too weak in competitive games.

FotM would indeed make these cards more interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I could make it "not the first" instead of last.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mil Myman
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Migrant, what if, instead of simply paying food to keep him, you have to pay food to the other players (and still take begging cards if you can't pay the other players)? That way, you could lower the cost because you benefit other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike T
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Buggy wrote:
I could make it "not the first" instead of last.

That would make them both too strong. While you don't have a lot of control over who is last, you have total control over not going first, and the benefit provided by the Rustler, and especially the Sneak Thief, is too good to be that easily attainable every round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.