BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Screen as a game board rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Markus
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
I don't know if this is the right forum for this but I couldn't find anywhere exactly what I was looking for in the forum search.

Anyway, has anyone thought of using a computer screen as a game board? I'm not talking about creating the game inside the screen, but to use the surface as a board, i.e. you would be using all the components, bits and pieces of a normal board game on top of it.

So if there was a simple low-cost table sized screen to be used as a game board (as in only to constantly show the same image), would someone find it useful?

This way you would have some advantages for having an easily customizable board, but it would have the look and feel of an ordinary board game.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a few people who use a projector under a table to the same effect.

Its also the whole tablet project at MIT with D&D map that senses the location of minis to highlight where they can go.

Its certainly doable to varying degrees.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you for the pointer.

I was thinking about it more from a gamer point of view i.e. would board gamers find this usable? I'm not talking about sophisticated technology or complex functions, only a simple and easily modifiable gaming board.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Collins
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.penpaperpixel.org/tutorials/tabletopprojection/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I don't think I would find it useful. I'm not sure what you mean by "easily customizable". Doesn't seem like it would be easy to me. Nor do I find myself wanting to modify game boards very often. Could I fit it in my game bag?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Finazzo
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://blogs.msdn.com/surface/archive/2009/10/19/dungeons-dr...

I'm waiting for the Surface to become affordable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd worry more about damage to the surface/things blocking the view of parts of the screen more than anything else. People tend to like to have lots of things in playing areas, and food is something that might cause problems with this kind of thing, with spills and leftover food fragments (Cheetos anyone?).

Seems like just an expensive replacement with no real benefits to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Brian
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Quote:
So if there was a simple low-cost table sized screen to be used as a game board (as in only to constantly show the same image), would someone find it useful?

It would have to be very low cost or very durable. If I understand your idea correctly, the game board would be displayed on the screen. When you were finished playing chess, you switch the display to backgammon, go, Axis & Allies or Vasco da Gama. You would then play on the screen/board. Would a computer screen stand up to having wooden, plastic or even metal pieces placed or tossed on it repeatedly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
curtc wrote:
No, I don't think I would find it useful. I'm not sure what you mean by "easily customizable". Doesn't seem like it would be easy to me. Nor do I find myself wanting to modify game boards very often. Could I fit it in my game bag?

Yes, it could be a four-piece foldable screen which would fit your game bag just as well as an ordinary game board. I was thinking of a screen that would look and feel physically as close as possible to a regular game board, with the only exception that the picture on it would be changeable relatively easily. Maybe it could also have an internal memory where you could preload images and change them when necessary only with a few clicks.

Uncle Pennybags wrote:
It would have to be very low cost or very durable. If I understand your idea correctly, the game board would be displayed on the screen. When you were finished playing chess, you switch the display to backgammon, go, Axis & Allies or Vasco da Gama. You would then play on the screen/board. Would a computer screen stand up to having wooden, plastic or even metal pieces placed or tossed on it repeatedly?

Yes, this is quite what I was thinking of. It would be an easily customizable surface for different games.

Also, good point about the durability.

Thanks for the replies! More comments and ideas are welcome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.