Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Big City» Forums » Variants

Subject: Variant idea [want some thoughts before trying to piece it together] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Lacombe
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
Suddenly a shot rang out! A door slammed. The maid screamed. Suddenly a pirate ship appeared on the horizon! While millions of people were starving, the king lived in luxury. Meanwhile, on a small farm in Kansas, a boy was growing up.
mbmbmbmbmb
The only problem with this game is that the end-game doesn't matter past a certain point [that usually occurs with at least three or four turns remaining in the game].

Here's a thought: "Goal" cards, like the "Destinations" in Ticket To Ride or similar player-specific goals in any other game.

Each player would get [could draft?] a certain number of goals [either from a closed deck, or maybe they'd be publicly available like in California] that they would try to complete.

Goals could be things like:

- Central Business District: 3x2 [2x2, 3x3, there could be a number of possible configurations] block of nothing but office buildings

- Suburban Development: 3x2 [2x2, 3x3, etc] block of nothing but residences

- Strip Mall: 1x5 [1x6, 1x7, etc] strip of at least 1 [2, 3] special buildings and office buildings; no residences, parks, or factories

- Shopping District: 3x2 [3x3, etc] block consisting of the shopping mall, at least one bank, any number of office buildings, and bordering the streetcar line

Etc, etc. You get the idea. Most would depend on a certain spatial configuration of buildings, irrespective of neighborhoods. The buildings would have to be completely "enclosed" within the "block" to score.

I think the most difficult thing would be assigning points to these [a lot of these would be pretty easy to do while building other high-point scoring combinations] and making sure they were at least kind of mutually exclusive [so that a person couldn't rack up a huge bonus too easily, but would have to work for it].

What do you think of the idea in general? Any suggestions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-matt s.
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blog/22
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of goal cards. I'm not sure how the point values would work exactly. However, I think there should be goal cards that are out and available to everyone...if you complete it, you get it. Thus, there's a bit of chicken going on with who is going to build what and where. Also, it would make placement of buildings even more strategic because you might not want to build something for fear of someone else getting the goal card.

A deck of goal cards where only some come out each game would probably be best so that you can't just plan ahead for a goal that you know is in the deck, but have to work with the ones that are available.

You might even have scaled/multiplied goal cards where you get more or less points based on certain other conditions, just like for the buildings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm interesting. I wonder how much of this has now been covered in Suburbia? (I've never played that game but it seems to have goal cards and stuff)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.