Subject: Compare with Killing Ground rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Roth
United States
Garnet Valley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does anyone who's played this have any experience with New England Simulations' The Killing Ground played with its Overlord: D-Day and the Beachhead Battles?

If so, are you able at this point to compare/contrast? I'm not so worried about the obvious differences in terms of scale. I'm more interested in whether either succeeds notably better than the other in re-creating the feel of the battle, in the sense of more accurately or appropriately confronting the commander with the options and limitations that his historical counterpart faced (of course, leaving the decisions up to him.)

And, is either more "fun" (by which I mean grog-fun)? I have no particular pro- or anti- bias regarding size or complexity. It looks like TBfN is larger, but KG+ODD has a less conventional system. Playing a game on the battles for Normandy is virtually certain to guarantee a high troop density but, given that, I'm more inclined, in my dotage, to appreciate wargames where you don't end up with simply a ton of chips lined up all adjacent to each other from one end of the map to the other (or wherever the perimeters may start and end.) I'm not sure that either of these games avoids that, but I'd welcome your experiences and observations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.