The Adventurers: The Temple of Chac» Forums » Variants

Subject: Keep the Ball Moving rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When we play, once the ball starts to move it will always move a minimum of 1 space (not an extra space).

Another variant that we like is the removal of 3 blank wall cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pressure + Interactions
Quote:
Here is an idea for the boulder...after it starts moving, it must always move at least one space (like a player in the river) forward. I mean, I think that it's just basic physics that the giant boulder would never stop after it gets going. It might slow down or speed up in reaction to variations of slope and friction, but if it stopped...well, objects at rest tend to stay at rest unless acted upon by an external force. Inertia. The boulder would never just stop and then start again. So, the boulder always moves at least one square after it begins moving, and the dice movements (if any) are added to that one movement. So, the boulder will move 1 - 6 squares after turn 5, not 0 - 5 squares. Posted Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:08 pm

Yes, that is a good variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pressure + Interactions
Quote:
Here is an idea for the boulder...after it starts moving, it must always move at least one space (like a player in the river) forward. I mean, I think that it's just basic physics that the giant boulder would never stop after it gets going. It might slow down or speed up in reaction to variations of slope and friction, but if it stopped...well, objects at rest tend to stay at rest unless acted upon by an external force. Inertia. The boulder would never just stop and then start again. So, the boulder always moves at least one square after it begins moving, and the dice movements (if any) are added to that one movement. So, the boulder will move 1 - 6 squares after turn 5, not 0 - 5 squares. Posted Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:08 pm

I like it.

But to keep it even more simple, I would say:
Boulder must move at least one space EVERY turn once it starts moving.
No need to add that one extra movement if you roll enough on the dice to get it to move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engstrom
United States
Mount Prospect
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
https://greydolphingames.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
grahamj wrote:

Another variant that we like is the removal of 3 blank wall cards.

A variant I prefer is drawing a double arrow on one of your wall cards. Treat that card as a double wall move card. Each wall portion still only moves 3 times, but now it has 4 potential moves if you add all the cards up. This adds extra tension to staying in the wall room.
(e.g. There are 6 cards left in the deck, but there are more moves than necessary...do I risk getting the left wall and double move card in the next 3 if there are 2 double moves left? And other such questions. )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.