Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
96 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Glenn Beck revisited rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Last year I watched a complete Glenn beck show and wrote a review. At the time I thought of Beck as an entertaining conservative with a knack for comedy. He tends to focus on his own foibles and human weakness as a source of comedy.

Yesterday I watched again. Well, listened first and then last night actually watched the same program I had heard portions of earlier in the day. My opinion of Beck is now revised. He is still somewhat of a comedian in my mind... but he is also different now. I understand that beck has become a "force" in national politics and even though I have periodically seen small bits of his shows... including an almost complete one from a few weeks back (thank you internet)... I hadn't paid real close attention to what his message is.

Now I think I know.

This guy is a conservative. Not a Republican. Not a right winger. Not a tea partier. A conservative. And it seems he has taken it upon himself to expose Barack Obama as a true progressive... or maybe a socialist progressive? Something like that. Whatever the case regarding Obama (you all know what I think about Obama), Beck is convinced that Obama is a shady, lying, deceitful blight on America and that his real intent is to get exactly what he wants... to transform America into his vision... and to hell with the Constitution, the law, the Supreme Court, the American people or anything else. Barry O, in Beck's view, could care less about you or me because Barry O knows what is best and will stop at nothing to make it happen.

Beck has resources, that's for sure. And I'm not talking about Google. Fuck Google. Beck has a team and specific staffers skilled in Lexis-Nexis use. He has access to every video clip and sound bite in the history of video clips and sound bites. And he has a story to tell that he backs up with his crack research team and visual and audio aids.

I find it difficult to disagree with the man's message.

From the getgo I pegged Obama as a socialist, a liar, a creation of the far left built specifically for the task of becoming the first black(ish) president. If you, the educated liberal intelligentsia of BGG actually believed that Barack could make any of his promises come to fruition then you are a seriously deluded individual. Not to mention, a waste of college money. Whatever it cost for you to get a degree might have better been spent sending 10 inner city kids to trade school.

Barry O has not fulfilled any of his major campaign promises and has, in fact, gone full steam ahead in the wake of Bush II rather than make good his promises. We're over a year into this "transformation" and the prez has boned each and every one of the folks who elevated him to his glorious position. I know that, I knew that. You do too... but some of you are just stuck in denial.

What Beck does is illustrate the story. He shows you the clip of Obama railing against presidential signing statements and then using them himself... after promising to never do such a horrible thing. He shows Obama promising to have troops completely out of Iraq... or promising NO LOBBYISTS in his administration and so on and so forth. What is interesting about the show though is that Beck has a story he tells and he uses the supporting evidence to shine light on the parts of his story that "people" will doubt, or perhaps attribute to Beck being some sort of radical.

Interestingly, for me, I also watched (on another news channel) a clip of Obama explaining to New Hampshire residents why he didn't allow C-Span access to the secret back room negotiations on his failed health care reform. The man actually stood there, with an angelic smile on his mug, and said it was best for America for the negotiations to be private because the politicians would not be themselves if they knew they were being filmed.

I know I'm paraphrasing but I'll repeat that:

it was best for America for the negotiations to be private because the politicians would not be themselves if they knew they were being filmed.

I'm not sure why Beck didn't use that clip... I assume he will in a future show.

The primary reason I sat down to Fox last night was to see the interview Bill O'Reilly had with Jon Stewart. I'm not a Daily Show watcher but I understand how important Stewart is in creating "opinion" among the liberal pussy boys of America and RSP so I was intrigued. What I discovered was that Stewart, Obama, Pelosi, Reid and the whole herd of lobbyists and socialists Obama hired are cut from the same bolt of cloth. Stewart came right out and said, in no uncertain terms, that his main complaint with Obama is that he doesn't just tell congress and the SCOTUS to go fuck themselves and go ahead and enact his agendas... no matter what the Constitution says or the citizens of American think. Think I'm kidding? I'm not. The interview is all over the internet today.

The entire evening... watching O'Reilly and then Beck... after having watched Zombieland, was interesting. I know there is an arrogance in the Left that is so cloying and so unwarranted that it makes me want to double-tap 90% of the people and politicians I see on TV... but I wasn't real clear on how unabashedly open these little Mussolini's were about their desire to control you and me.

And I think that is what Beck is all about. He is most certainly an entertainer. And he is most certainly a very, very smart person. He is definitely a conservative and a Mormon as well. At the same time he is important. His ratings prove that. People listen to him... particularly those who don't like him or his message. I haven't exactly avoided Beck myself. it just never seemed to matter to me what he was saying because I already felt most of the things he does. The difference is he has the resources, position and talent to put it all in perspective. His perspective to be sure. But as much as you may object to his perspective, what makes you think yours is any better?

So I see Beck and Stewart as two people in similar positions. They are entertainers who politick. They are involved in an attempt to sway public opinion to their storyline rather than the other storyline. Beck's story is that you are smart, you are the one who counts and that the Constitution is designed to protect you from the likes of Obama or Bush or any of the thousands of carrion eaters who inhabit the Beltway. Stewart's storyline is that you are stupid and that it's the duty of a man like Obama to use his position to do what he wants to do to you, whether the other two branches of government or the Constitution allow it or not.

I'm more inclined to Beck's view than Stewart's. How about you?




7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
Gender: pot*ato. My opinion is an opinion.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you mean, not a right winger???
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
DCAnderson wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
What I discovered was that Stewart, Obama, Pelosi, Reid and the whole herd of lobbyists and socialists Obama hired are cut from the same bolt of cloth. Stewart came right out and said, in no uncertain terms, that his main complaint with Obama is that he doesn't just tell congress and the SCOTUS to go fuck themselves and go ahead and enact his agendas... no matter what the Constitution says or the citizens of American think. Think I'm kidding? I'm not. The interview is all over the internet today.


Since Stewart says that Obama should be doing something that he is presently not doing that means that they are "cut from the same cloth"?


You ought to watch the O'Reilly/Stewart interview. Yes, they both "appear" to have the same attitude regarding America: that it needs to "transform" to a more liberal/progressive government controlled entity regardless of the balance of power or Constitution. That's my opinion. Yours may differ.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
VETRHUS of Rogaland
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
An ash I know, Yggdrasil its name. With water white is the great tree wet; thence come the dews that fall in the dales. Green by Urth's well does it ever grow.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I don't see John Stewart as attempting to sway public opinion.

His show is comedy, and much is fiction.

The latter can be said of much of Beck's content, but it isn't funny. It's mean and manipulative.

Anyone who thinks The Daily Show is a news program is an idiot. Not the idiots (taken as anyone who differs with him, even in minute ways) that Beck targets with his book, actual idiots.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
HavocIsHere wrote:
What do you mean, not a right winger???


What do you mean, not the Messiah???

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
Gender: pot*ato. My opinion is an opinion.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:

What do you mean, not the Messiah???


Did Jesus wear a tie???
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
Avatar
mb
A broken clock is right twice a day.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
DCAnderson wrote:


Right, but there is still an inherent contradiction in that passage.

If Obama was ramrodding his vision of America through Congress then Stewart wouldn't need to complain about Obama not ramrodding his vision of America through Congress.


I'm sorry you don't like the way I phrased it. If I was getting paid for this shit I'd probably have an editor Dan. It seems to me you'd rather take issue with my sentence construction than my assessment of Barry O and how Stewart uses his show to promote a specific agenda that is in line with Barry's.

I think it's a poor debating tactic to find fault with the way a person phrases an easily identifiable "idea" rather than to discuss the actual idea. Beck used an example of this in his show yesterday, misdirection, when he ran a clip of Obama stating "7 million jobs lost in the last two years"

Beck's point, and it was a good one, is that Obama manipulated the words to convey the idea that Bush caused this... his usage of "two years"... because he didn't want to actually lie. So he didn't mention that 4 million of those job losses occurred on his watch.

You may think nuance in communication isn't important, but I'd bet you only dismiss it when it's something you don't want to confront or deal with.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you really read RSP DW?

Because you might have read how many of us find that Obama is not progressive in any of the ways that matter.

If Beck was right, many of us here would think he's the best thing that happened to America in 50 years. But we don't.

I personally find it hilarious that a few talk show hosts have convinced millions of Americans that their president is a socialist, all while socialists find him to be even more conservative than he portrayed himself to be during the campaign, in which he ran as what we called a moderate.

19 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Jorge... I suspect you just haven't come to terms yet with the fact that Barack Obama is an inept and ineffective socialist. He's just shitty at it... but it doesn't mean he's not one.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
Gender: pot*ato. My opinion is an opinion.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Barack Obama is an inept and ineffective socialist. He's just shitty at it

hibikir wrote:

I personally find it hilarious that a few talk show hosts have convinced millions of Americans that their president is a socialist,



It worked on Tripp for sure. Talk shows are evil!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:

Beck's point, and it was a good one, is that Obama manipulated the words to convey the idea that Bush caused this... his usage of "two years"... because he didn't want to actually lie. So he didn't mention that 4 million of those job losses occurred on his watch.

You may think nuance in communication isn't important, but I'd bet you only dismiss it when it's something you don't want to confront or deal with.


What we wish for is nuance in ideas, which allow us to understand what a president's actual effect on unemployment can be. If a hybrid of Hayek, Regan and Jesus had taken over the oval office in January 09, I don't think we'd have a very different situation in the job market, because the executive has a very limited ability to affect the private sector in the short term without acting crazy. You might as well blame him for the weather.

Would you think it's fair to claim that Bush is to blame for 9/11, because it happened on his watch?

There's plenty of valid complaints about Obama's tenure, from both the left and the right. The economic situation today isn't one of them.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
HavocIsHere wrote:
DWTripp wrote:
Barack Obama is an inept and ineffective socialist. He's just shitty at it

hibikir wrote:

I personally find it hilarious that a few talk show hosts have convinced millions of Americans that their president is a socialist,



It worked on Tripp for sure. Talk shows are evil!


If it were only that simple. How long have you been a regular of RSP? Or perhaps you just ignored my commentary two years ago when Obama first surfaced as a viable candidate.

Ignorance is bliss my friend.... keep that beatific, blissful smile on your face.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
Gender: pot*ato. My opinion is an opinion.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:


If it were only that simple. How long have you been a regular of RSP? Or perhaps you just ignored my commentary two years ago when Obama first surfaced as a viable candidate.

Ignorance is bliss my friend.... keep that beatific, blissful smile on your face.

The truth is that I think that you do not take yourself too seriously about all that stuff, really.
Now I do not doubt your political views, but I assumed you had an healthy tendency for self derision.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
hibikir wrote:


What we wish for is nuance in ideas, which allow us to understand what a president's actual effect on unemployment can be. If a hybrid of Hayek, Regan and Jesus had taken over the oval office in January 09, I don't think we'd have a very different situation in the job market, because the executive has a very limited ability to affect the private sector in the short term without acting crazy. You might as well blame him for the weather.

Would you think it's fair to claim that Bush is to blame for 9/11, because it happened on his watch?

There's plenty of valid complaints about Obama's tenure, from both the left and the right. The economic situation today isn't one of them.


On that we disagree. Obama most certainly has had a huge impact on every aspect of the economy. 9/11 isn't comparable because Bush didn't take office after campaigning on a platform of stopping terrorists from flying commercial aircraft into buildings.

When does Obama "officially" become president Jorge? When does anything he enacts, promotes or creates actually get attributed to him, his staff and his execution of the duties of president? When he's been there two full years? Three? Upon re-election?

Barry specifically stated what his drastic and emergency solutions would accomplish. He wasn't at all shy... he was very, very clear that his policies would have a specified result. He rammed them though and they not only didn't work, they made a clusterfuck into an even bigger clusterfuck.

From my view all you and the other RSP lefties are doing is becoming Obama Apologists. Even though most of you didn't like Bush's TARP or Obama's TARP or the "stimulus" or any of the massive financial fuck-ups Obama has done or those of his predecessor, you still "seem" to be more than willing to blame Bush for Obama's situation or just chalk it up to him not being socialist enough for your taste.

That's what I liked about the presentation Beck made. He clearly and definitively showed what Obama has promised and stated and them clearly showed that anything this man says is not to be believed.

Stewart is also a person of integrity because he makes no bones about what he would like America to be and chastises Obama for the same faults you do... he's not socialistic enough.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
I agree with DW's view on Beck.

A funny little story:

I was in Target a few months back looking in the book aisle. I have always prior to this instance seen Glen Becks book on the shelf, but for some reason this time I didn't - and I couldn't believe they sold all 10 in a matter of a day or two. Through browsing at the books, I noticed that someone had deliberately hid all of Becks books beind other books. I find it funny that someone had to take the time to move all of these books just because that person doesn't like Beck's message or that he is anti-Obama.

BTW, there is a new up and commer in conservative talk radio who just recently went national. He started in Minnesota, he is great to listen to for the same reason as Beck is only cuts out the comedy part. Very smart dude and extremely valid points. His name is Jason Lewis, check out the site below to see if his show is broadcast in your area.

http://www.jasonlewisshow.com/main.html
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jjloc wrote:
I was in Target a few months back looking in the book aisle. I have always prior to this instance seen Glen Becks book on the shelf, but for some reason this time I didn't - and I couldn't believe they sold all 10 in a matter of a day or two. Through browsing at the books, I noticed that someone had deliberately hid all of Becks books beind other books. I find it funny that someone had to take the time to move all of these books just because that person doesn't like Beck's message or that he is anti-Obama.


When I worked in bookstores, this stuff happened ALL the time. From both sides of the monoparty. Usually it was just hiding the books, or flipping them around so that the back was facing outwards. One person went and tore a one-inch rip in the dust jacket of about two dozen of Palin's books that were on display.

Sometimes the vandalism was good for a chuckle, like the time some enterprising customer made an entire display that was 50/50 Obama's books combined with the Communist Manifesto, Mao's Red Book, etc. Usually though it was just dumb freakouts from people who couldn't abide by the fact that others might want to buy books they disagreed with.

Either way the cost of their tantrums were really just foisted onto the staff, who had to clean it up.

One amusing lady had a meltdown because after the election, the front table was all Obama product. "But he's a SOCIALIST," she hissed. I reminded her that selling books and meeting market demand was capitalist, but she didn't care. I reminded her that after Bush's two victories we had similar all-W displays, but she didn't care. Finally I told her that our goal was to make money, and if that meant selling Obama books, then that's what would happen, and we'd lose far more money by not prominently displaying Obama books than we would if she took her business elsewhere, but I respected her decision to shop where she wanted. That, she understood. (She left.)

I eventually put up a sign in the politics section reminding customers of the First Amendment and value of free speech and disagreement. That stopped 99% of the vandalism, so I guess we can still be guilted into following our values on occasion.
14 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As it says right there in Jason Lewis' online profile, he started his radio career in Denver. If the people he appeals to are this ill informed about his back story, how can I trust them to accurately relay his opinions and ideas?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
I personally find it hilarious that a few news channels convinced millions of Americans that their president was a moderate.


YOU'RE a news channel
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Interestingly, for me, I also watched (on another news channel) a clip of Obama explaining to New Hampshire residents why he didn't allow C-Span access to the secret back room negotiations on his failed health care reform. The man actually stood there, with an angelic smile on his mug, and said it was best for America for the negotiations to be private because the politicians would not be themselves if they knew they were being filmed.

I know I'm paraphrasing but I'll repeat that:

it was best for America for the negotiations to be private because the politicians would not be themselves if they knew they were being filmed.


I find it hilarious how you constantly decide to get shocked or outraged when Obama says something that is plainly obvious on its face.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hinrickson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
As it says right there in Jason Lewis' online profile, he started his radio career in Denver. If the people he appeals to are this ill informed about his back story, how can I trust them to accurately relay his opinions and ideas?


My appologies, he had a local program here for many years - and prior to here he was in Charlotte, North Carolina.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
He sounds like he has some pretty interesting ideas, and I'm sort of sad that my kid now drives the car with the XM radio out in California, while I had to bring the "it will never pass California emissions" Avalon back out to South Carolina.

jjloc, you know I was only teasing, right? But seriously man, just one 'p' in 'apology.' There's only so much I can take.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chiddler wrote:

You are amazingly ignorant for someone who is so sure of himself.


There's nothing particularly amazing about the sureness of the ignorant. Whether or not DW is willing to give Obama a chance to shuck the "socialism" label is really not germane here. What matters is that he was willing to give Glenn Beck another chance after an entire year.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
chiddler wrote:

You are amazingly ignorant for someone who is so sure of himself.


There's nothing particularly amazing about the sureness of the ignorant. Whether or not DW is willing to give Obama a chance to shuck the "socialism" label is really not germane here. What matters is that he was willing to give Glenn Beck another chance after an entire year.


I'll stick with the idea that Obama is just a shitty, half-assed socialist. Chiddler, who for some reason thinks he is in the center of the universe when it comes to not being ignorant, shows us all once again that he remains either ignorant or defiant when it pertains to the rules of conduct for posting on BGG.

I don't blame Chiddler. I blame the sheep.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:


I'll stick with the idea that Obama is just a shitty, half-assed socialist. Chiddler, who for some reason thinks he is in the center of the universe when it comes to not being ignorant, shows us all once again that he remains either ignorant or defiant when it pertains to the rules of conduct for posting on BGG.

I don't blame Chiddler. I blame the sheep.


Rules of conduct, nothing -- he could at least have the courtesy not to quote your entire rant.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.