Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Gassett
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does TS fire Dominion? For me it surely does. The only thing I would say is that Thunderstone, though it plays like Dominion, perhaps shouldn't so much. What I mean by this is that you will always have those players who, whether they totally understand the effects of their cards or not, will play their game turns as quickly as they do in Dominion. TS is quite a bit more complex and has a lot more moving parts and consequent mental arithmetic involved, and for this reason should be played more slowly than Dominion. Whenever I play TS with a quick player, I am always left wondering "hmmm, did player X really have the attack values/strength/light he/she needed to defeat monster Y?" and "did player X do his arithmetic properly?" In Dominion, this generally isn't a problem, since it is quite a bit simpler and the chances someone has miscalculated are proportionately lower. When I play Dominion, I don't have this nagging question in the back of my mind, and can concentrate on what I want to do when my turn comes around. For TS, I would prefer that each player do his/her calculations out loud to the other players so that they can follow along. This is standard practice in my game groups with other games that we play, but with the 'Dominion mechanism' operating, it usually doesn't happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Mondeau
msg tools
mb
I am glad that the rules include "Reveal Your Hand" when you Enter the Dungeon or Visit the Village. I am always recounting gold and attack of other players cause it is easy to make mistakes when you are getting started.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apocryphile wrote:
Does TS fire Dominion?
What exactly do you mean by that? Better in every way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best thing about Thunderstone is that it splits the Dominion audience, so the people who prefer something like Dominion can play games more like they like and the people who prefer something like Thunderstone can play games more like they like. It's always harder when one game has to cover a variety of tastes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
P.S. Race for the Galaxy has the "private calculations" issue to a huge degree, but you can't really check other players' calculations without slowing the game a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No, TS does NOT fire Dominion. They're both good games. Out of 100 I'd rate Dominion a 97 and Thunderstone a 95. I've explained why I think Dominion offers a wider gaming experience and Thunderstone a more linear one, and I definitely don't think a Dominion fan should toss out or trade away their copy just because Thunderstone has arrived.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TS is getting close to firing itself.

Dominion will be played in my house for years to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Malaysia
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried Thunderstone, but my past experience of boardgames/cardgames with a 'dungeon crawl' theme has been that I would much rather play either a full-on traditional RPG or a boardgame about something completely different. The theme just doesn't work for me at the level of a board game or card game. Pure prejudice, but I think I'll be playing Dominion for a while yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omari Brooks
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

TS does not fire Dominion. They are both gainfully employed in different departments of the company... ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gassett
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rastak wrote:

hmmm...I wonder how many?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Manasan
Philippines
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No. I personally find Dominion to be much more satisfying than Thunderstone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DK Kemler
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, and two others in my play group it definetly has. The fact that TS just has more going on in a turn than dominion seals the deal, and the fact that the theme and art are better is just icing on the cake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apocryphile wrote:
Rastak wrote:

15?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Browne
United States
Terre Haute
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rastak wrote:
Apocryphile wrote:
Rastak wrote:

15?

42? Just pulling a number out of a book...er...hat!

Edited to fix typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Stegman
United States
Minneapolis
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apocryphile wrote:
... For TS, I would prefer that each player do his/her calculations out loud to the other players so that they can follow along. ...

That should be the case for most games (except for simple ones where it is easy to see what is happening). Moves should be announced and transparent to be checked for errors and allow people to follow along.

When people just, say, throw a bunch of cards in a discard pile or money in a bank and start doing stuff without letting people know what is going on, they are almost saying 'I never make mistakes so it only matters if I know I am doing.' (and is a bit self-centered to boot).

Unfortunately I've been down that road before and some people will get irritated with you and consider you pushy if you ask them to let others what they are doing so people can follow along. I have (mostly) learned who doesn't need those reminders in the first place, who doesn't mind being asked and who gets grumpy about it in in my gaming groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.