Popular Tags: diy [+] [View All]
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the guys in my game group challenged me to design and sew a padded, protective carrying case for his new Hilinski board as cheaply as possible. He just doesn't have the money to spare on one of the better pre-made solutions, like this...

And even the cheap, simple, fitted cloth bags you can find are out of his budget range and don't offer the level of protection that he desires.

So far my outlay has been around $20 and the project is coming along nicely. If it works, would there be any interest in my documenting the process for a DIY tutorial similar to my tile-drawing bag tutorial, either here or in the DIY forum?

Edit 3/03/10: thread title change & confirmation that while I might not do a full tutorial, I will definitely record how I did it, in this thread, with pictures.

Edit: 3/10/10: All done! Find pics and general instructions below.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kenel
United States
New London
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: DIY carrying case project -- gauging interest.
I would be very interested in this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Foulke
United States
Bethel Park
PA
flag msg tools
Welcome to Friedey's!
badge
You want fries with that?
mbmbmbmbmb
Very much so! I loved your bag tutorial.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to see what you come up with regardless...either for my own crokinole board when I get one, or as a possible adaptation to my PitchCar set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The interest appears to be pretty light, so I will take pictures and post 'em, but save the work of a full tutorial for later. Thanks for the input!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus Perry
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Right now you are wiser than you've ever been... and younger than you'll ever be!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would be very interested in this! Just this past week I took my shipping box and with some gaffers tape and a razor knife turned it into a carry case that I can bring into coffee shops without creating too much of a scene!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Pressler
United States
West Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
OMG! Overtext! How long have I been sleeping?! OVERTEXT! Also, I'm a DESIGNER now?! Sweet! OVERTEXXXXXXT!
badge
HO HO HO! Give me some money!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you decide to do a tutorial, I'd be very grateful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got a bit delayed in working on this project, but it's now coming along nicely.

These are the main pieces, ready for assembly. I need to add carrying handles to the top, too, and finalize a couple measurements, but so far, so good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Foulke
United States
Bethel Park
PA
flag msg tools
Welcome to Friedey's!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice! What kind of fabric etc. are you using?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
engdy wrote:

Soon, soon! While I probably won't do a full tutorial, I will definitely tell how I did this, and especially so cheaply. Just gotta sew a few more seams first. Patience, young grasshopper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pdclose wrote:
engdy wrote:

Soon, soon! While I probably won't do a full tutorial, I will definitely tell how I did this, and especially so cheaply. Just gotta sew a few more seams first. Patience, young grasshopper.

I look forward to this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Foulke
United States
Bethel Park
PA
flag msg tools
Welcome to Friedey's!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Cheap carrying case solution -- DIY project thread
pdclose wrote:
Patience, young grasshopper.

Oooh... she's using Kung Fu on me. I hope she says "You won't be ready until you can snatch this completed Crokinole carrying bag out of my hand," because I'll go for it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kenel
United States
New London
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps Diane just took the delivery bag from the Pizza Hut delivery guy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
**SUBSCRIBED**

kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hawkeye77 wrote:
Perhaps Diane just took the delivery bag from the Pizza Hut delivery guy!

Man, that would be one monster-sized pizza!!

No, that's not a pizza bag I'm using, but if they came that large and you could get them to give one up willingly (and cheaply), then that would be another good solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is DONE!!!

Now I'll work on getting a picture of the board in the case, and put together a post describing what I did... kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I said earlier, this project started as challenge from one of the guys in my game group
Jonathan Burd
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

To design and sew a padded, protective carrying case for his new Hilinski board as cheaply as possible. He and I looked into a variety of solutions, and they were either too thin and didn't protect from the elements or bumps, or too expensive (half the cost again, of a new board and up). He wanted some actual protection, not just a slip cover, and a sling strap for carrying it, as he was now walking most places in order to save more funds.

Dr. Burd wrote:
I'd like to be able to walk a few blocks without too much discomfort or strain.

Not sure what options there are for a water-resistant fabric either... ? The interior would have to be something non-abrasive. A zippered opening would be awesome, like one of those big thick ones that don't get stuck so easily.

The last detail I'm a little back and forth on, but it seems stupid to do a bag without it. A separate pouch on the front for the scoring box / discs.

We put our heads together and went back-forth nailing down the essential elements, then I set about gathering fabric estimates and volunteered my sewing labor for free as a Christmas gift. I ran into difficulties right away, as suitable weather-protective fabric like cordura nylon is expensive, as are zippers in the larger sizes! My estimates for materials, alone, quickly zoomed to the $70+ level.

On a wild hunch, and as it was December, I suggested that Jonathan go look at wreath storage bags, to see if they could possibly work. Perhaps they could be easily lined or somehow adapted? That started out a frustrating search, as most wreath storage bags are made from extremely fragile, thin nylon and are only 30 inches in diameter.

A Hilinski board measures around 30"9/32 in diameter, and 1"7/16 tall. That extra 9/32nds of an inch in diameter is important! Then Jonathan found this:

It's made of heavier ripstop nylon, but it's too wide and too tall. As you can see, the side piece is constructed of two pieces that total 10 inches in height! This was one big, poofy, but water-resistant and durable wreath storage bag that was simply way too tall. However, at $8 on sale for half-price, it deserved a closer look. The zipper alone was worth $8! At a minimum, it could be a starting point.

So I took the bag and deconstructed it.

To my surprise, it yielded a number of amazingly useful elements! I ended up reusing all the parts of the deconstructed bag except for the drawstring. Taking it apart gave me two large circles (that needed to be reduced in size), two 5 inch wide strips of fabric that could be used for both a front pocket and a side strip, a good-sized, strong, durable zipper, and a padded nylon handle. The latter was the biggest surprise. It came from deconstructing the hand-hold at the top of the bag. I had no idea when I started that it would turn into a nice, long, flat, padded handle piece!

The challenges, though, were the big "Santa's Bag" on the front of the bag, and what to line it with that could give it structure and support without adding too much weight. Jonathan thought he could live with the "Santa's Bag" message, but I wanted to see if I could cover it up in some useful manner.

Turns out he needed a pocket for his disc storage case. The storage box is 3"29/32 x 3"31/32 x 2"15/32 tall, so I fashioned a pocket large enough to hold it and cover up the branding, using leftover strips of the nylon bag and an outdoor-quality zipper that I got on sale for $2.50. Here's a look inside the pocket:

I'll continue this story in the next post...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I know why it's red!!!!!

kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, the remaining challenges were to create the pattern, find a suitable durable lining that would give the bag structure, find something to pad it with that would be protective but cheap, and find and add some carrying straps.

For the carrying straps, I went to the thrift store and purchased two nylon belts for $3. That gave me sufficient nylon to sew two 30" straps, and two D rings and leftover nylon strapping to use on the sides of the case too. Nylon webbing was going to cost me $1 a foot, brand new, and D rings and plastic snap hooks were going to cost another $7, so I saved quite a bit by buying "used". Then I told Jonathan if he could find a luggage strap or something similar, I would make spots for it to clip on to the bag and he'd save quite a bit of money over me making something similar from scratch. Jonathan showed up shortly with a guitar strap! Perfect!

Finding padding was a bit of an adventure, because we wanted it to be thick enough to offer protection, but lightweight and inexpensive too. So foam was out, due to the expense. I found the perfect 3/4" polyester craft padding and waited for it to go on sale at half price. The day it did, I headed to the store only to find that the previous night the roof over that department had collapsed under the weight of snow and damaged or destroyed most of the products below!

I got the clerk to double-check and she found exactly two useable yards of the product I wanted, which was all I needed. She took 50% off the price, and when I kinda moaned and said gosh, it's supposed to be on sale for that already, she told me that no, she's reducing it by 50% due to coming off a damaged bolt, and it will then ring up at 50% off again at the checkout! Holy cow!! That meant I got my padding for $4! What a deal!

So the only challenge left was finding a suitable, durable lining fabric. I scoured the clearance aisles and found that denim seemed to be the most suitable candidate. For $2 a yard ($4 total), I had my choice of hot pink paisley or one I like to call "mad cow".

I chose "mad cow"! I figured black and white and red is a "classic look", after all. Here you can see the front, with the pocket sewn on, the denim lining, and the polyester padding that sits between the two layers.

Now it's down to the sewing! $3.50 for the thread and some pattern paper, and I'm off! Total outlay: $25 in materials needed to make the bag.

I'll detail the sewing part in the next post...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like how the strips used to make the pocket give it a dimensional look!! Pretty cool!!! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-matt s.
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/blog/22
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This store has those bags for $11.99 here:
http://christmaslites.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&c...

It's also here for $12.14 USD but it's out of stock at the moment:
http://www.christmasworld.com/36-wreath-bag-w-direct-suspend

Of course, you have to add shipping as well....

EDIT: If you have a Walmart near you, it appears they may stock it, probably around Christmas time: http://wwwndc.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=1226...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To make the pattern, I folded 48 inch sketch paper into quarters, and drew a 1/4 circle 16 inches wide. I decided to make my bag 32 inches in diameter, to add a bit of ease for the board, but not too much, and to allow for larger seam allowances should I need them. I usually sew with 1/4" seam allowances, and my 32" circle dimensions included those.

To determine the length of fabric needed for the side part, you use the circumference formula. The diameter "d", is the actual diameter of the template circle minus 2 times your seam allowance. So in my case, that's 32 inches minus 1/2 inch. That gives me 98.96 inches.

When you know the circumference you add back 2 times your seam allowance for the seams. 98.96 inches + 1/2 inch = 99.46 inches, or approximately 99 1/2 inches. You then cut two pieces of each fabric (two nylon and two denim), and two of padding, with the width calculated, and height of your preference minus the length of zipper you're going to use on the bag.

For the side piece, I made my zipper take up (the top) half of the bag length (49 3/4 inches), and the padded part the other (bottom) half (49 3/4), for a total of 99.5 inches. For height of the side pieces, I used 3 inches.

Once I had my fabric all cut, I made sandwiches of nylon fabric-padding-denim, with the right sides showing on both fashion fabrics. Then I used any leftover nylon fabric strips to make a front pocket, which I applied over the "Santa's Bag" branding. I positioned the arm straps on the front and back piece, and used the padded handle as a "grab bar" for the bottom of the bag on the front. The results look like this:

So that's the front and back all assembled and waiting to be pieced together. I resized the zipper to 49.5 inches, sewed plastic D rings to the edges using a length of leftover nylon, then applied the rest of the circumference as a padded sandwich of nylon, padding and denim, so that the board is protected if it's sitting upright (zipper on top), but should not be made to rest on the zipper, as that part is not padded.

This is what the finished case looks like inside:

And this is what it looks like from the outside:

Tomorrow Jonathan is coming to pick it up, and he's bringing his board, so I'll soon have pictures of the board inside the case too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel J
United States
Iowa City
IA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this writeup and ideas for the ingenious use of materials! First, I have to refinish my board but this will definitely be the next project.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JessA
United States
Southwestern
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
That's MRS. McFoxFace to you!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job! That was brilliant to use a wreath bag. Who knew there were such things??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are pictures of Jonathan's new Hilinski board inside the carrying case, and one of him carrying the board too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.