Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Eskridge
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Resistance V2 BGG Game 2 (R2BGG2) has begun!

The Resistance supports 5-10 players, but I think 6 to 8 will be best for this online game. Like the last game, this one will take place over the course of one or two weeks, with weekends off. It will be played on the BGG message boards. Players will have set times (24 hours) for discussion and decisions. I will serve as the moderator. If you want to know what a game looks like before diving in, check the link below. It's not hard, and a lot of fun.

When we have enough players, we'll set a date and make it happen. Let's play!

Don

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/418141/resistance-bgg-ga...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Eskridge
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Players/Leadership order

jtakagi
jageroxorz
CuriousG
Teh Brawl Guy
SuperChutney
Talltim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Eskridge
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
"Imperial rule... Imperial oppression... there is no light at the end of this long, dark tunnel, so we'll make our own through the flaming candles of burning buildings. Yet be cautious - Imperial Spies have crept into our ranks. We must weed them out, enact our plans, and let the Empire feel the burning fist of the Resistance."

Welcome to The Resistance forum game. This is the second BGG session. I've learned a bit more since the last session, and the rules have been updated to V2, so it should be a good game. To discuss rules, implementation, etc., check the discussion link on the game page. Here are the rules, updated to V2.

General

If you disagree with something the mod has done, or have a question about the game, feel free to PM (private message) me. Do not discuss this game outside this thread. Period. Discussion is always open in thread. Don't take the game personally, and don't flame other players. The anchor time for this game will be UTC+10 (see references). All three timed phases will officially begin and end at this time everyday. We will not play on weekends.

Los Angeles 8:00 PM
Washington D.C. 11:00 PM
London 4:00 AM
Berlin 5:00 AM
Seoul 12:00 PM

Game and Phase Rules

Players are either Resistance Operatives, unaware of each other’s alliances, or Imperial Spies, the informed minority. The goal of The Resistance is to destroy three Imperial Bases. The goal of the Empire is to Sabotage three Resistance Plans (to save their base). The game is played in phases in which players assign plans, vote on the allocation, and the entrusted few support either the Resistance or the Empire. Once either team has won three missions, they have won the game.

Assign: Each day, the current leader (the choice is random on the first day and then passes to the next player on the list each subsequent day) has to assign plans. Each base has a number of Plans required for the Resistance to allocate, and a number of Sabotages needed for the empire to defend their base.

The leader will make a proposal in thread. You may select yourself to receive a set of plans. Once a proposal is made, it cannot be retracted. The Leader has 24 hours to propose an assignment. After assignment is made, Vote phase begins at anchor time. If no assignment is made in 24 hours, the Leader Card passes to next player and phase will re-begin at anchor time. (if most players request a longer assign phase, this may be modified). Please format proposals in bold, as follows:

Proposal: John, Tim, and Sarah receive plans.

Vote: although players are free to announce their vote or intended vote publicly, each player sends me their vote within 24 hours of anchor time. When sending me your vote please keep it standardized for ease of use, including name, game name and vote number. For example, when voting YES on the second vote of day one (if the first didn’t pass), format the subject line as follows:

Resistance BGG Game 2: Vote 1.2: Snaak: YES

If a majority of players accept the proposal, it is accepted and plans are distributed. If a proposal is declined, the day will continue and leadership will pass to the next player. (If five votes in a row are voted down, the Empire automatically wins.) At anchor time I’ll announce the results, how each player voted, whether we repeat the phase or go to the next, and who the new leader is. Voting is required.

Decide: the players entrusted with plans will geekmail me their decision, to play a Resistance or Empire Plan card, formatted as below. Deciders have 24 hours from anchor time beginning. Please format as follows:

Resistance BGG Game 2: Decide 3: Snaak: RESISTANCE (or EMPIRE)

If the plans are sent to a rebel, they must choose to support the Resistance. If sent to a spy, the spy has the option to support or sabotage the Resistance. If there are zero acts of sabotage, then an Imperial base will be destroyed (Resistance wins the round). If there is at least one act of sabotage, then the Plans were sabotaged and the base was defended (Empire wins the round). (HOWEVER, there is one base in every game that requires TWO sabotages for the Empire to succeed.).

Reveal: having received all decisions, I'll post the results by forum at anchor time. Players will not know who performed the sabotage, but will know how many acts of sabotage occurred. Once a team wins three rounds, they game ends and that team is the winner. I'll indicate the results, if the game has ended, and who is the leader as we enter the next phase, one explosion closer to the end.

Don

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard G
United States
Bergenfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it an idea to post an invitation for more players on the Werewolf forums?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teh-O-GUY-3
United States
Confusion
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Era
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
A friend in need is a friend indeed
badge
An enemy in need is hilarious
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to play, please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schwarz
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in, please.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard G
United States
Bergenfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don, would you please clarify the following:

Don E wrote:
HOWEVER, there is one base in every game that requires TWO sabotages for the Empire to succeed.

Is this base designated secretly in advance in terms of round number? Is it known to either team which base this is? I assume that Empire wins with three sabotages in the event that the Resistance has blown up that base or if Empire sabotages three attempts before the round in which that base is being fought over. Or am I wrong, and the Empire always requires four sabotages to win?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Eskridge
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
CuriousG wrote:
Don, would you please clarify the following:

Don E wrote:
HOWEVER, there is one base in every game that requires TWO sabotages for the Empire to succeed.

Is this base designated secretly in advance in terms of round number? Is it known to either team which base this is? I assume that Empire wins with three sabotages in the event that the Resistance has blown up that base or if Empire sabotages three attempts before the round in which that base is being fought over. Or am I wrong, and the Empire always requires four sabotages to win?

GH:

In all but the 6 player game, there is one Base that requires two Sabotages for the Empire to win the round. It is always the fourth base. It is known to everyone. Usually, the Empire wins if they Sabotage ONCE or MORE. The idea with this special base is that they must sabotage TWICE or more, making it more difficult for them. And to clarify, each base if only fought over ONCE. Either the Resistance or Empire will win every round.

Please review the rules above and the official V2 PDF in the downloads section, and don't hesitate to ask with more questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Eskridge
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GETTING READY.

We now have six players ready to go. The game can still handle two more, for those still interested. I would like to officially begin the game next Tuesday (2/16), beginning at anchor time (UTC+10). That should give plenty of time for late arrivals (and time for me to finish a personal holiday). However, we can use this time for introductions and strategy discussion, which I welcome and encourage.

So! Let's get started with introductions. All players sound off! Get talking, and we'll start things officially on Tuesday. Cutoff date for signups is this Friday. On Monday I will send out your hidden identities. Have fun,

Don

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Eskridge
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BASES

For ease of play, I have decided to designate names for the five bases over which the Resistance and Empire will be fighting. Each base name indicates the number of Plans to Assign, and the number of Sabotages required for the Empire to win the round. However, different numbers of players requires different sets of Bases. Here are the sets for 6, 7, and 8 player games.

6 Players:

Beta I (2 Plans, 1 Sabotage)
Gamma I (3 Plans, 1 Sabotage)
Gamma II (3 Plans, 1 Sabotage)
Delta I (4 Plans, 1 Sabotage)
Delta Prime (4 Plans, 1 Sabotage)

7 Players

Beta I (2 Plans, 1 Sabotage)
Gamma II (3 Plans, 1 Sabotage)
Delta X (4 Plans, 2 Sabotages)
Delta Prime (4 Plans, 1 Sabotage)

8 Players

Delta I (4 Plans, 1 Sabotage)
Delta II (4 Plans, 1 Sabotage)
Epsilon X (5 Plans, 2 Sabotages)
Epsilon Prime (5 plans, 1 Sabotage)

Note: the word 'Prime' is only important when playing with the 'Targeting' variant. In this variant, players may choose which base to attack, instead of being forced to simply move down the list. I think this variant adds a lot of fun and strategy to the game. In it, the word Prime means that the Base cannot be targeted (attacked) until at least two others Bases have been destroyed before it.

Let me know your vote on how you would like to play. Discuss it here. I'll make a final decision according to your interests on Friday.

Don

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Era
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm all for the Targeting varient. The Specialties might make things a bit chaotic, but it gives each player more power and allows for more interesting tactics.

I'm fine with whatever. I haven't played Resistance before~

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard G
United States
Bergenfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I vote for the plain vanilla version for the first game. I anticipate playing multiple times and would like to try the variants in subsequent games, but I'd prefer to play the base game for my first try.

But I'm perfectly willing to be outvoted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schwarz
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperChutney wrote:
I'm fine with whatever. I haven't played Resistance before.

What he said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could go either way, but since the vanilla version was requested, let's do that.

All I have to say is that, as part of the Resistance, we will be victorious over the Imperial scum!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teh-O-GUY-3
United States
Confusion
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talltim wrote:
SuperChutney wrote:
I'm fine with whatever. I haven't played Resistance before.

What he said.

This.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Eskridge
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here we go! The game will begin tomorrow, Tuesday 2/16, at anchor time. The first Leader will be Jtakagi. Here is the order of Leadership.

jtakagi
jageroxorz
CuriousG
Teh Brawl Guy
SuperChutney
Talltim

The first day will be for introductions and strategy discussion. The Leader may not make an official assignment until the next day. (Please remember to use the formatting shown in the rules above, with bold text).

We will be playing the standard version of the game (no variants). Here are the bases the Resistance will be targeting, in this order. All bases only require 1 Sabotage for the Empire to win the round.

Beta I (2 Plans)
Gamma I (3 Plans)
Gamma II (3 Plans)
Delta I (4 Plans)
Delta Prime (4 Plans)

One more thing- last game, players didn't always need 24 hours to make decisions, and that may be true for this game as well. So, I will usually (if I can) also check the game at 'mid-anchor time' (halfway between anchors). If players have submitted their choices, I will post the results. HOWEVER, this does not end the phase! Phases always last 24 hours, regardless of whether I post at mid-anchor time or not, and actions should only be taken during their correct phase.

Alright, I think that's everything - let's get this rebel party started!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm ready, fellow Resistance fighters!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Era
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a cake for us! It's hard to resist on an empty stomach~

I would like to assist with the first plans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperChutney wrote:
I made a cake for us! It's hard to resist on an empty stomach~

I would like to assist with the first plans.

Pfft, a little quick on the draw, are you not?

The game has barely begun and you're asking for plans!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Eskridge
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Brothers! We have arrived to change destiny! We must annihilate three Imperial Bases, yet it won't be easy. The Empire has wormed two of their Spies into our ranks, who seek to ruin us at every step. Before targeting the first base, let us take today to discuss our plans and begin to out our enemies. They cannot hide for long.

Introduction Day begins

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard G
United States
Bergenfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Delicious cake, SuperChutney! I hope those filthy Spies choke on it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teh-O-GUY-3
United States
Confusion
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spah sappin' mah sentry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Atomic Era
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My name is SuperChutney.

I like rain, baking cakes and being nominated for the first plans.
I don't like mould, spies and not being nominated for the first plans.
My goal for the future is to make cakes for my fellow Resistors and to get nominated for the first plans.
My greatest fear is not being nominated for first plans.

By the way, does anybody know who our leader is? I feel a bit silly not knowing...

Hey! Jtakagi! I want to talk to you about assignments for the first plans~

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Schwarz
United States
Tucker
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, my name is Tim, and I'm a member of the Resistance.

Audience: Hi Tim.

I've been a member of the Resistance ever since my family was killed by the evil Empire. It's tough being in the Resistance, but I keep at it, focusing on taking it one day at a time. I know we'll get through this. Thank you.

Supportive Applause from the Audience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [11] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.