Matthew Fisk
United States
Spanish Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, based on my understanding of the rules:

Flares are shuffled into the main draw deck.

Once you get a flare it is yours to keep (after playing it comes back to your hand).

Is it the rule that you must discard the rest of your hand if you have no more encounter cards that keeps the flares in constant circulation?

Otherwise I assume if you have some means of keeping your hand full (ie lots of compensations or rewards) you could keep a flare in your hand the entire game thus preventing its native host from being able to use it.

I suppose you could also take it from someone via compensation...

I haven't played it yet so just trying to get a feel for how rapidly those flares move around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sylvus wrote:
Is it the rule that you must discard the rest of your hand if you have no more encounter cards that keeps the flares in constant circulation?

Otherwise I assume if you have some means of keeping your hand full (ie lots of compensations or rewards) you could keep a flare in your hand the entire game thus preventing its native host from being able to use it.

I suppose you could also take it from someone via compensation...

Right. There are also some aliens that let you screw with people's hands (like Barbarian). A few artifacts also require flares to be discarded I think. And you'd be surprised how easy it is to get rid of someone's flare if everybody works together!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmb
Correct.

There are only three ways to lose a Flare that is in your hand:
1) Compensenation (player takes it from your hand).
2) Having a Card Zap played on it when you go to use it.
3) If you must discard all of the cards in your hand because you have no Encounter Cards so that you can draw a new hand of 8 cards.

In the expansion there is a new Artifact that adds a 4th way to get a Flare out of your hand, Hand Zap.

I hope this helps.

LA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmb
Oh, I forgot a couple of ways:

5) As Steven mentioned there is a number of Alien powers that allow you do mess with someone's hand of cards.

6) The Plague artifact can get a one flare out of someone's hand, but if they have more than one flare in their hand they get to choose which one they discard.

LA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Toomai Glittershine
Canada
flag msg tools
lastalchemist wrote:
6) The Plague artifact can get a one flare out of someone's hand, but if they have more than one flare in their hand they get to choose which one they discard.
Close; the Plague forces you to pick one of each type of card at random. You have to discard a random flare, a random artifact, a random attack, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barney Bustoffson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
no no no. The word "random" is nowhere on the Plague card. You get to choose which cards you toss as well as which ships you lose. I had to crack open the box and look at the card to be doubly sure I wasn't playing it wrong all this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cain
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Evil-Do That I Do-Do
mbmbmb
Phew! I thought for a second there I had been playing this wrong as well. I was at work so didn't have the chance to look at the card, but that was going to be the first thing I did when I got home.

LA

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alistair Fronhoffs
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
blush
concerning 2)
I hadn't till now seen the sentence "Then the artifact or flare must be discarded" on the Card Zap card.

I suppose that if the card zap is card zapped, you don't discard the flare or artifact ?

Al

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Groal wrote:
I suppose that if the card zap is card zapped, you don't discard the flare or artifact ?

Yup. Card zapping a card zap is one of the more satisfying moves in CE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.