Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I got Arkham Horror as part of a large game trade/sale, and thought it might be something I'd enjoy since it has such high ratings here on BGG. But after playing it once, I just don't think it's one I'll keep around. There are some things I like about it and some things I don't like.

1) Variable player powers. I like the fact that the game comes with a bunch of different characters to play and that they all have different abilities.

2) Equipment, spells, skills. I like being able to tailor your character a little more specifically with weapons and skill cards.

DISLIKE

1) The theme is a bit too evil. I guess I don't consider it very family friendly, what with all the talk of human sacrifice and pagan Gods from other dimensions.

2) Yep, that's it, the theme. Not just dark or scary, but downright evil.

BONUS

1) Cooperation. I don't need a game like this, but I like that all the players are working together (or at least aren't directly fighting each other).

2) Playable with 5 or more players

So far, I think my best option is Descent, but a friend of mine already owns it (though I often play games with a different group, so having my own copy might be nice).

Can someone offer me suggestions for a game that plays like Arkham Horror, but isn't so evil. I don't mind a little evil here and there. Fury of Dracula isn't too evil. Fantasy and sorcery are OK in my book too. Even Last Night on Earth isn't so bad because it's so campy, but my friend owns that game also. I hope that helps.

Thanks for suggestions!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erich Vereen
United States
Leland
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost Stories

Cooperative: you fight against various ghosts to keep the village safe, you have four characters with two possible power sets possible with each of them. lots of ways to fight, although it's not high on the inventory lists of extras unless you pick up White Moon.

Edit - Eh, only problem is only four players. Missed that part of your requirements in the first reading. Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Schleicher
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming group finds that Shadows over Camelot is the best cooperative game we can play with 5 to 7 players (8 with the expansion). Each player has a different skill which really changes the way you play. You can play so that you have a single Traitor, and it has made some great experiences when we figure out who the Traitor is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
belirahc wrote:
Ghost Stories

Cooperative: you fight against various ghosts to keep the village safe, you have four characters with two possible power sets possible with each of them. lots of ways to fight, although it's not high on the inventory lists of extras unless you pick up White Moon.

Edit - Eh, only problem is only four players. Missed that part of your requirements in the first reading. Sorry.

Cooperation and 5 players is only a bonus and isn't required. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Richter
United States
Springfield
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game
Cooperative (unless you are a Cylon).
Different powers depending on the character you play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Schaub
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at Prophecy, and maybe Runebound (Second Edition). Descent is also a great game, but it is almost all fighting, and not so much story-telling or co-op like Arkham.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Vince
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestar is good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a big fan of Prophecy, though it doesn't have strong story elements like in Arkham Horror. I like how characters wind up feeling unique based on the skills you purchase, even though they all start off pretty well the same. I also wouldn't play with more than 4 players due to downtime.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bailey
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
Why don't you believe me?
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
LordHellfury wrote:
If you like how arkham horror plays, but do not appreciate the setting but do appreciate the settings in games like Fury of Dracula, then I recommend A Touch of Evil.

The theme is more akin to such fare as "Van Helsing". Strikingly so, in fact.

Its amazing how similar to Arkham horror it is, almost like arkham horror lite.

I picked up AToE on the strength of the recommendations saying it was Arkham "lite". However, I found the game horribly boring and felt no real threat from the game. It was just plodding along until the inevitable victory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
除名山 蔵芽戸
Japan
Sendai
Miyagi
flag msg tools
badge
Betrayal at House on the Hill! But you will have to write your own variable powers (which my group has done). Maybe they will include them in the reprint though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beau Bailey
United States
Missoula
Montana
flag msg tools
Why don't you believe me?
badge
Seriously, I'm a weasel.
mb
LordHellfury wrote:
Have you tried using the advanced rules?

I am not defending the game, I have my reservations about it as well, but I thought the game was much better once the advanced rules were used after getting a handle on the basics.

But I think it depends on how hardcore of a gamer you are. If you are more of the casual variety, I do beleive that AToE could be a good choice. Where as if you are a pretty hardcore gamer who love a strategic abstract, then this game will bore you to tears with how easy it is to 'game' the mechanics on basic level.

Its definitely a game intended for those who appreciate the chrome involved in 'ameritrash' as opposed to the plain brown of 'eurotrash'.

(yes, I know the term is 'eurogame" but when people so vehemently defend euro's I tend to want to poke them where it hurts.)

I jumped right in to the advanced version of the game and still was really let down. I really like Last Night on Earth and was excited to try out Flying Frog's take on the horror/co-op game. Unfortunately, I didn't find much to like about the game other than the theme.

I can see why people would like it. It's very easy to win, has a good theme, shorter playtime for unfamiliar players, and looks nice. It just wasn't in the same class as other light theme games like LNoE, Talisman, Prophecy, etc. It also would be at a disadvantage due to the familiarity I have with Arkham (length is no longer a problem as most AH games are around an hour.) If I can play them both in about the same length of time, I am going to play the better game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lo Ma
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if Witch of Salem would suit you... it only plays up to 4 players though, so mebbe not.

But it's described as Arkham Horror lite, with the theme a bit lighter too I think... Still don;t think it's exactly family friendly though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lo Ma
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
belirahc wrote:
Ghost Stories

Ghost Stories looks very cool, but it sure doesn't look family friendly...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driver 8
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LoMa wrote:
I wonder if Witch of Salem would suit you... it only plays up to 4 players though, so mebbe not.

But it's described as Arkham Horror lite, with the theme a bit lighter too I think...

Yes, actually I played Witch of Salem and really liked it. Probably because it was more of a Euro than anything. The theme was the same, but not as 'in your face' as Arkham Horror. But alas, it doesn't have the variable player abilities I want. In fact, all the characters are exactly the same. Someone should make a varient with special character abilities for Witch of Salem. Hmm, maybe I'll work on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lo Ma
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Driver 8 wrote:
LoMa wrote:

But it's described as Arkham Horror lite, with the theme a bit lighter too I think...

Yes, actually I played Witch of Salem and really liked it. Probably because it was more of a Euro than anything. The theme was the same, but not as 'in your face' as Arkham Horror. But alas, it doesn't have the variable player abilities I want. In fact, all the characters are exactly the same. Someone should make a varient with special character abilities for Witch of Salem. Hmm, maybe I'll work on that.

Woohoo! That would be totally cool if your did!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game might just be what you're looking for. It seems to fit the requirements and the theme is more b movie than pure evil.

Ghost Stories still has a pretty dark theme, but not nearly as graphic as AH. Really well done game. If you don't mind a challenge this is a great game.

Cosmic Encounter isn't co-op but if you like variable powers than look no further than this bad boy. Add the technology cards and it gives you another unique power to use as well. Good stuff.

~ Bones

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:
If you can finish Arkham in an hour, then you are pretty hardcore. Quickest I have gotten was 75 minutes and that's because the G.O.O. came out and kicked our butts.

I've dropped 6 seals in 75 minutes quite a few times. I'd say my average after 104 plays is somewhere in the 90-100 minute range. Since adding IH, I know I generally have to get 6 seals down around turn 14-15, else the doom track will be full.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game. I got it because I was hoping for a sort of 'Arkham Horror lite' experience and got it. It's a team vs team game, with humans vs zombies. You have different characters, different scenarios, equipment and event cards you play, and a modular board. It's light, campy fun that takes about an hour to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Holyoak
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
Designer Wannabe
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
badweasel wrote:

I picked up AToE on the strength of the recommendations saying it was Arkham "lite". However, I found the game horribly boring and felt no real threat from the game. It was just plodding along until the inevitable victory.

I found the same thing to be true for the base game, but the expansions help fix this.

Play with the necromancer. Every mystery phase puts more undead on the board, giving you more to interact with—lots less "plodding."

Also, his ability to turn dead elders into zombies that fight on his side gives you a lot more reason to care about them.

There is also an unnamable horror (i think that's what it's called) in the expansion that works similarly.

These new villains really ratchet up the tension and action of the game, and make it a lot more fun IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franklin Turner
United States
Fultondale
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordHellfury wrote:
If you like how arkham horror plays, but do not appreciate the setting but do appreciate the settings in games like Fury of Dracula, then I recommend A Touch of Evil.

The theme is more akin to such fare as "Van Helsing". Strikingly so, in fact.

Its amazing how similar to Arkham horror it is, almost like arkham horror lite.

It also has the ability to be played cooperatively, competitively or competitively between teams. Like Arkham each character is different and can be tricked out with items purchased in town or found in remote locations. The board is not as pretty as Arkham's but the cards are nicer and you have detailed mini's for each character.The only thing I dislike about the game is its roll and move mechanic but there is a variant available on the Geek that does away with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Kohut
United States
military/mobile
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER is an overlooked masterpiece. This could be just what you're looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Dude
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LoMa wrote:
belirahc wrote:
Ghost Stories

Ghost Stories looks very cool, but it sure doesn't look family friendly...

I don't think there is really anything that makes it overly family unfriendly. It might be for little ones...

For me, the theme does not come through all that much, so it doesn't seem really dark...just impossible. (And, I enjoy the game.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stanley
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Prophecy is the one to get. It is just like Arkham Horror in the things that you like, and totally different in the area of Arkham Horror you disliked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Last Night on Earth and Runebound are the best suggestions so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Guiles
United States
Walled Lake
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmb
timrichter9 wrote:
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game
Cooperative (unless you are a Cylon).
Different powers depending on the character you play.

Well... Cooperation as a Cylon is a relative term in this game. You always want to appear cooperative.

Personally, this is the game I would recommend highly for what you are looking for. This is a heavy social game and the mechanics and sci-fi theme are a backdrop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.