Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dumb Question re: "+1 Fight" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Arthur Dickie
United Kingdom
South Leverton
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The "Fight" skill card reads:

+1 Fight
When you spend a Clue token to add to any Fight check, add one extra bonus die.


Does this mean that I get an extra Fight die on every Fight check AND if I spend a clue token I roll two dice instead of one, or does it just mean the "two instead of one" condition?

Sorry for bothering you with this.

Thanks in advance.
2 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordi Gómez Acosta
Spain
Castellon de la Plana
Castellon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gnomus wrote:

Does this mean that I get an extra Fight die on every Fight check AND if I spend a clue token I roll two dice instead of one,


That´s right you get the extra die and 2 dices
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a while since I visited Arkham, but if the text you provided is right, then you get both. The issue is that it doesn't modify the base stat, just really helps you beat things up.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.” whistle












(The answer is "yes," anyway.)
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dickie
United Kingdom
South Leverton
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kobold Curry Chef wrote:
“Questions are a burden to others; answers a prison for oneself.” whistle


Good "Spot" Jefferson. But remember, "A still tongue makes a happy life".
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kengi wrote:
The issue is that it doesn't modify the base stat, just really helps you beat things up.


What do you mean "it doesn't modify the base stat"?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tuckerotl wrote:
Kengi wrote:
The issue is that it doesn't modify the base stat, just really helps you beat things up.


What do you mean "it doesn't modify the base stat"?

It does 2 independent things. Modifies the base stat and helps you beat things up by giving an additional die when using a clue token.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mageith wrote:
tuckerotl wrote:
Kengi wrote:
The issue is that it doesn't modify the base stat, just really helps you beat things up.


What do you mean "it doesn't modify the base stat"?

It does 2 independent things. Modifies the base stat and helps you beat things up by giving an additional die when using a clue token.


Or pass any fight check you need to make (such as from an encounter).

That's why I was asking Kengi why they said "it doesn't modify the base stat", because the +1 Fight part does modify the base stat.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Mc Cabe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
There are those who look at things the way they are and ask why . . . I dream of things that never were and ask why not
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The simple version: Example: Base fight 4, +1 fight skill, +1 clue, +1 bonus for spending clue = 7 dice.

Sometimes the explanations are a little hard for me to grasp, so I try to keep it simple for my own sake.

Brian
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Thingamagummy
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Don't make me bust out the drama!!
badge
Panda is a Werewolf. The Village wins!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why clue tokens are so nice!

A permanent +1 to your stat, and +2 dice when you spend 1 clue.

I'm sure some very literal person wrote that one the card. Because you add 1 die when you spend a clue, you get to add one more. They may have thought, "add 2 dice instead of the normal 1 when you spend a clue token" too wordy or equally confusing.

Writing rules isn't always easy
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Zombo
United States
Macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a dumb question at all. I was playing it wrong and this thread helped me out. I was just adding an extra die when I used a clue token and I was thinking these +1 X were pretty weak.

Thanks for starting the thread.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dickie
United Kingdom
South Leverton
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
apatheticexecutioner wrote:
The simple version: Example: Base fight 4, +1 fight skill, +1 clue, +1 bonus for spending clue = 7 dice.

Sometimes the explanations are a little hard for me to grasp, so I try to keep it simple for my own sake.

Brian


Thanks everyone for the prompt clarifications.

Your example made me wonder if I have been doing something else wrong. (I'm only halfway through my second game).

I thought that clue tokens were spent to roll an additional die after one had rolled ones "regular" dice. Are you saying that I can spend clue tokens before I roll dice? Or are you suggesting that this is what the text of this particular card allows you to do?

Thanks again for your assistance.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mb
You can roll the die (or dice) immediately after spending the Clue token. You spend the Clue token before or after rolling your "regular" dice.

It usually is better to see the result and then spend Clues to add dice after the fact (because you retain your original rolls and keep any of those successes). But in some case, you may want to purchase dice ahead of time. Say you need two successes but only have 1 die to roll after modifiers.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Dickie
United Kingdom
South Leverton
Nottinghamshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
You can roll the die (or dice) immediately after spending the Clue token. You spend the Clue token before or after rolling your "regular" dice.

It usually is better to see the result and then spend Clues to add dice after the fact (because you retain your original rolls and keep any of those successes). But in some case, you may want to purchase dice ahead of time. Say you need two successes but only have 1 die to roll after modifiers.


OK Colts - that all seems quite clear now. Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bell
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
You can roll the die (or dice) immediately after spending the Clue token. You spend the Clue token before or after rolling your "regular" dice.

It usually is better to see the result and then spend Clues to add dice after the fact (because you retain your original rolls and keep any of those successes). But in some case, you may want to purchase dice ahead of time. Say you need two successes but only have 1 die to roll after modifiers.


In this case, you'll still want to wait and see. If your single die doesn't get you a success, it may not be worth it to spend any clues trying to get 2 successes. If your single die DOES get a success, then spending clues to get the second success is a lot more viable.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Grazier
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
Check out my boardgame demoing website! www.geek-craft.com
badge
Near northeast Ohio? Come to one of my game nights! www.geek-craft.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I made a mistake, confusing this card with another one. There are cards that give you nice bonuses to specific rolls, but do not modify the stat used in those rolls, such as Horror checks.

Sorry for any confusion.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.