United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Warped boxes are driving me nuts.

I thought that was the steering wheel sticking out of the pirates pants......

Seriously, I store my games the same way and I find the boxes that have their contents slid to the bottom and push out on the lid are the ones that may warp.

Tighten your boxes up; squish them together. Also keep some cardboard things that tokens are punched from to store in your box to keep the contents from sliding to the bottom of the box and pushing against the lid in such a concentrated fashion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Engle
United States
Ellettsville
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
In intriguing problem. I make board games in my garage work shop. I use wheat paste as my primary adhesive and the wet certainly can cause worping. Even though it sounds like you have the humidity low it may be high enough to do the damage. You might want to try having some kind of air flow (add a fan) to keep things stable.

As to reverses - I doubt a change of environment will help. Cardboard reaches a state and wants to stay that way. To recurve it you could wet the inside and put the box in between boards to resset the edge but this would be a lot of work and might do more damage than is solved.

Check the boxes for any hint of mildew smell. That will confirm humidity is the problem.

Chris Engle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paper is a funny thing, and there's a whole science behind the manufacturing, storage, and printing of it. There are local conditions that play a roll which are compounded when the paper comes from another part of the world with a different climate.

Do you happen to have any photos of the bulging?

The fan suggestion wasn't a bad one depending on the pull of your dehumidifier, providing the problem is too much moisture. Did you have this device more than several years ago?

Also, are your games shelved against an exterior wall that can get really cold? A change from 10c to 20c can be fairly noticible especially when moisture is involved depending on what the dew point is. Paper has a natural level of moisture, and responds when more is added or too much is taken away.

Take a look at other surrounding areas. Is the room near a bathroom that has poor venting where hot showers are taken? Are there vents in the room leading outside, or to another room like the kitchen (or a bathroom). Is there a window in the room that's nearby that might not be properly sealed?

If it's happening to all your games, I'd check around to see if there was a meter you could borrow or buy to test out the environment. Best of luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.