Popular Tags: cranky_rant [+] [View All]
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I have to say I am pretty proud of this one: A tax on AM talk radio.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
Okay, I have to say I am pretty proud of this one: A tax on AM talk radio.

It would have been even better if you taught me another cool english word, but I laughed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
But my greatest power is this: When Destiny speaks, she speaks to me. She says hi, by the way.
badge
Oh! And I've been killing the bees!
mbmbmbmbmb
The lottery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nose pîcking tax.

Gess what is stuck on the top of the first i gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Ellis
United States
Brookline
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Bush tax cuts.

Man, I can't believe Bush screwed things up so badly that even Obama is going to take most of his first term fixing everything. We'll have to wait for his second term to become fully the nation our founders truly dreamt of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AM radio is still around? Wow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A huge tax on birthing services -- the birth rate for those receiving welfare and other public assistance is 3x that of those not; a bigger discrepancy then even cigarettes (about 2.8x).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
quozl wrote:

Only because Coast to Coast AM is still broadcasting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bela's dead and Vampira won't talk
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mistermarino wrote:
The lottery.

Pack of crazy fools.

Listening to the young folks, nothing's good enough for them. Next thing you know, they'll be wanting to go back to living in caves, nobody work any more, live that way for a while. Used to be a saying about "Lottery in June, corn be heavy soon." First thing you know, we'd all be eating stewed chickweed and acorns. There's always been a lottery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
quozl wrote:

Only because Coast to Coast AM is still broadcasting.

That show is craaaazzzzzy. I listened the other night (maybe a month ago) and a lady was on who believed that the govt. was attempting mind control through flu vaccinations. I also enjoy the periodic appearances by Satan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abortion tax.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HavocIsHere wrote:
Abortion tax.

I'm trying to think of some cool English word you don't already know for "incredibly wrong." You have to think along BJ's lines, with the cigarette tax. Abortions are the purview of débutantes and fashion models--not trailer park moms. Also, I meant to tell you before: Most folk here spell it "flabbergasted" without an "h."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snowball
Belgium
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
HavocIsHere wrote:
Abortion tax.

I'm trying to think of some cool English word you don't already know for "incredibly wrong." You have to think along BJ's lines, with the cigarette tax. Abortions are the purview of débutantes and fashion models--not trailer park moms. Also, I meant to tell you before: Most folk here spell it "flabbergasted" without an "h."

Débutantes is a french word angry Also, I googled the flabber word with and without h. Nothing conclusive. And flabberghasted is ghastly.

h tax?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
The government immediately taxes all transactions that utilize one dollar bills.

And only one dollar bills.
ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
After typing that I had the realization that "dollar" is truly the stupidest-looking word in English.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
How do you want to define regressive? Should we aim at taxing the poorest of the poor, and the poorer the better, or should we aim at making sure that those with a lot of wealth don't pay much?

How much money should we make off of it? I could put a tax on used clothing, but it'd be hard to make much money off of said tax before people just buy their clothes new to dodge it.

Taxing the dollar menu might not be as regressive as I'd hope: It'll never cease to amaze me to see expensive europeans luxury cars going through the local drive-through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the tax on the dollar menu is frankly ludicrous, since I'm in the upper quartile of family incomes in this country, and when I eat at Mickey D's it's always a combo of dollar items.

No, I want to make the tax on the poorest of the poor so oppressive that they are motivated to get off their lazy, Obama-loving asses and work like God and Country intended. The cigarette tax is certainly a great motivator. We just need a bunch more to get rid of this thin layer of guttersnipes and layabouts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum europae vincendarum
United States
Bama by way of San Diego
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that we need to tax the families of everyone that our government kills. We kill so many that in around 4 months, 6 tops, we would be running a surplus.zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JoshBot wrote:
The government immediately taxes all transactions that utilize one dollar bills.

And only one dollar bills.
ninja

Good thing all I have is hundreds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HavocIsHere wrote:

Débutantes is a french word angry Also, I googled the flabber word with and without h. Nothing conclusive. And flabberghasted is ghastly.

h tax?

Well of course it's a French word--but in English we use it with and without the diacritical mark. We native English speakers are pretty much better than everybody else, and you may as well just get used to it. If you want to use Google as your arbiter of lexicography, feel free. I am a dictionary fanboy, however, so if a word shows up at Dictionary.Com with a certain spelling, and doesn't list another as a variant, then I say to hell with the supposed variant. Your ghastly use of non-variant variants is of course your right, as a non-native English speaker. Poor thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lebanon
Paris
flag msg tools
mb
Land value tax for the homeless, who afterall do take roughly 2 square meters of inhabitable space.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
mb
crime tax

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
A regressive tax system?

We'll tax 'em when they earn it.
We'll tax 'em when they spend it.
We'll tax 'em when they die!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
It's very hard to tax the lowest quartile of the population heavily.

For example, let's say that we put a tax on renting living spaces: From apartments to trailers. We'll make it a flat amount regardless of the size and location, so that it's a pittance for someone renting a million dollar condo in NY, but it's crippling someone living in a trailer park right between major highway and the local garbage dump.

The problem is that, by taxing the trailer, we are also pushing the landlord to lower the price so that the tenant can afford it: After all, if the final price goes up so much that the target market can't afford it, the money that the landlord gets goes down anyway, so he'll have to discount the property or not be able to rent it.

From this perspective, a perfect tax is one that collects revenue from the people it intended without affecting their behavior. That is why the taxes on large bonuses in England can be considered a big success: Companies are raising the bonuses to give the execs the same amounts they would without a tax, so they've raised money from financial companies without changing overall behavior.

There's plenty of examples of taxes that are nullified by price decreases in direct response to them:For example, when a few years ago the Spanish government decided to increase the tax on cigarettes to make the cheapest brands unaffordable to kids, the tobacco companies just ate the tax increase on their cheap brands themselves: If the kiddies couldn't afford to get hooked, how would they graduate to the expensive stuff? Now, the government saw this as a signal that tobacco was still undertaxed, and raised taxes again within a few months. Now the packs that used to be 1.6 euros sell for more than two and a half.

Your taxes to destroy the poor should also be easy to increase again and again, not afraid of eating corporate profits. Otherwise, you won't be able to achieve your ultimate goal to make the poor enlist in the army so that you can use them to invade Sweden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dispaminite wrote:
A regressive tax system?

We'll tax 'em when they earn it.
We'll tax 'em when they spend it.
We'll tax 'em when they die!

Taxing them when they die is not very regressive: The poor rarely have any net worth when they die. Now, the other two hold promise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.