Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Sams
United States
Georgetown
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had the extra money to purchase all the descent expansions should I? Or are there some which are rarely used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barney Bustoffson
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are only rarely used if you decide to rarely use them. You can decide to use them as much as you want!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gudamangipo wrote:
If I had the extra money to purchase all the descent expansions should I? Or are there some which are rarely used.

You don't have Descent listed in your games played yet. If you haven't played the base game yet, you should probably do so before you concern yourself with getting the expansions.

If you do enjoy the game, I would very much recommend the first couple of expansions (the Well of Darkness, and the Altar of Despair) for the extra things they bring to any game: new heroes, skills, treasures, town items, new game effects, treachery for the Overlord, new monsters and traps. Most find the new quests in these expansions to be a bit too brutal for the heroes, but you can still use them for base game quests and user made quests, including your own. Tomb of Ice is somewhat more of a mixed bag, the new heroes, treasures, town items, and the introduction of feats are all quite good, and the new dungeon tiles (double sided for using the open-air rules introduced in A Road to Legend, and for some additional encounters included in Tomb of Ice for use in Road to Legend) are excellent (they have different shapes from the base game for new dungeon configurations. The new monsters are mostly so-so, and the game effects introduced in Tomb of Ice (Ghost, Ice, and especially Stealth) seem to slow the game down noticeably, which something an already long game like Descent really, really does not need. I think people tend to like the quests from Tomb of Ice a bit better though.

Road to Legend
is largely a love it or hate it experience, so if you have a chance to try before you buy, I would advise doing so. I tried it when it was first released, and though I really wanted to like it, I found it to be extremely imbalanced (for either side at different parts – assuming the heroes could actually last that long). They have made many significant changes to the game since then (which does address a few of the issues pretty well, but sometimes introduces new issues), but I’m still not sure it’s balanced and having to devote multiple hours towards a 40-hour event (it does break down to nice hour long chunks, so you can pack up the game to continue at later session after 1, 2, 3 hours or whatever you have time for) just to see if the game balance is decent doesn’t seem worth it. It seems even less worthwhile when we could be playing other games including 3 or 4 plays of vanilla Descent in that time. Additionally, unlike the other expansions, there is little in Road to Legend that lends to use to playing Descent if you are not playing Road to Legend. Other people on the geek seem to love Road to Legend though, and they now only play Road to Legend rather than vanilla Descent. Sea of Blood is very much Road to Legend in a different setting, and I don't have enough familiarity with it to know if it sufficiently addresses the balance issues I find in Road to Legend.

As a must, make sure you get and use the FAQ from Fantasy Flight Games website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sams
United States
Georgetown
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. That is exactly what i needed to hear. And yeah we've played every campaign in the book twice. Made a few of our own and was interested in the RtL campaign game but not sure how it played out.

Thanks for the response.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Corrie
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Thanks. That is exactly what i needed to hear. And yeah we've played every campaign in the book twice. Made a few of our own and was interested in the RtL campaign game but not sure how it played out.

If you're able to play this much, I'd recommend simply buying one normal expansion (Well of Darkness, Alter of Whatever, Tomb of Ice) at a time in the order they were released. That way not too many new rules are introduced, and you have fresh dungeons to play. When you've played through each one, get the next. Finally, cap it off with Road to Legend or Sea of Blood if you still can't get enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sams
United States
Georgetown
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good call. I get overly excited and buy way more than I should at times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Jourdan
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just bought this game last week, after eyeing if for a couple years...

We will be going at it for the first time this weekend. I've played it a bit myself to try to get all the kinks ironed out. Trying to stumble through any rules questions and issues on my own. The FAQ is helpful.

I post because when i bought it I made a $100 purchase to save on shipping. I was debating on an expansion with it, but I finally went for Thunderstone and 2 small card games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Sams
United States
Georgetown
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you think of thunderstone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.