Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
35 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Need 2 person rec - Like Lost Cities(card game) but not Carcassonne rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
games for 2
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hi all,

Last year based on the lists here - I bought Lost Cities (card game) and Carcassonne.

Lost Cities has definitely been getting use but Carcassonne (original with River expansion) never clicked for us.

I'd like to get two new games for Valentines Day present.

Dominion was recommended but I hesitated when I opened the box and saw that the rules were 6 pages long.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks.
Vic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EGG Head
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaipur
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Jackson
United States
La Center
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife & I also enjoy besides Lost Cities, the game: Jaipur . It has a lot of interesting choices & not overwhelming. In fact we have come up with a 3 player variant that works well when we have a 3rd player

Also the game: Day & Night. This is a card driven abstract. We both enjoy this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I played Lost Cities for the first time, it reminded me a lot of Canasta Caliente. You can get sets with the scores right on the cards, so it's easier (and prettier) than playing with a standard deck.

A set collection game that might interest you that plays well with two is Archaeology: The Card Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
norman rule
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fjords is a nice 2 player game. It uses a tile laying mechanism, but placing tokens is completely different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
victw wrote:
Dominion was recommended but I hesitated when I opened the box and saw that the rules were 6 pages long.

I'm not sure if you balk because 6 pages seems like a lot or not enough. I'm assuming it seems like a lot (though you should realize in the context of this site that is considered a pretty short rule set). Fwiw, most of those 6 pages are summarizing/clarifying the cards - the text on the cards themselves is usually sufficient.

That said, if Carcassone was a bridge too far at this point, I'm not sure Dominion is a winner either.

Given your user name (and that it's a valentine's present), I assume you want games that play well with 2. I'd take a look at the GIPF series of games. They are 2-player combinatorial abstracts (think Chess, Checkers, Othello, etc.) with pretty simple rule sets. They look great, are easy to learn, and have a lot of strategy to them. My favorites are YINSH and DVONN (which I think are the highest ranked ones as well).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Philipp
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the games my wife and I play when it is just the two of us and we do not want to play anything too involved:

And my wife's current fav 20 miunte - two player:

Hope this helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Jasterbowski
United States
Garfield Hts
Ohio
flag msg tools
If you want a good game that can be played 2 players I'd recommend Pandemic. It plays up to 5 but works great with only 2. It gets played a lot by my wife and me. The best part it's co-op so no getting hard feelings with each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hoffman
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
Yes, shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber. My name is Roger the Shrubber. I arrange, design, and sell shrubberies.
badge
Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land; nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange & design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like Lost Cities, you may like Battleline.

If you don't mind abstracts, Hive is great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Walsh
Australia
Darwin
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Battle Line. It's essentially a poker variant designed by Reiner Knizia, the same designer that produced Lost Cities.

You would probably also enjoy Ticket to Ride.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Knauer
United States
Heathrow
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lorna wrote:

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anderson Tao
United States
San Bruno
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
r0gershrubber wrote:
If you like Lost Cities, you may like Battleline.

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've not played it myself but I've heard good things about Day & Night.

I'd also suggest Biblios but I doubt the reprint will be out in time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ρύπρεχτ
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blokus Duo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giannis Sofianopoulos
Greece
Agios Dimitrios
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Have a look here http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/50968/two-is-company-o...

But in your place I wouldn't give up on Dominion so easily!

If you want something "lighter" try Coloretto or Alhambra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Philipp
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I play Day and Night and it is fun, but not light hearted. It also takes several plays to undedrstand the deck you'll be playing from and until that happens thing are kind of hard to plan for. If you are looking for "sit down and have fun now" I do not think Day and Night is it.

My wife also like Alhambra a lot, so I sort of second that as it isn't in the same realm as the rest of the specific two player games. And that damn Dirk keeps showing up to play with us and ruining our romantic game playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Graffagnino
United States
Worthington
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't let 6 pages of rules scare you away from Dominion. It's really a simple game.

The game is set up with stacks 10 stacks of like cards. There are "Action" cards, "Money" cards, and "Victory Point" cards.

Each player starts out with their own personal 'draw' deck. On your turn you use the 5 cards in your hand to play one action card (if you have one), then buy one card from the 10 stacks. After that, place the cards from your hand on your personal 'discard' deck and draw 5 new cards from your 'draw' deck. Rinse and repeat. The player with the most victory points wins.

FWIW, my wife and I love Lost Cities and Dominion. Carcassonne also fell flat for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Goetz
United States
West Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 to Battle Line and Ticket to Ride. If six pages is too long, Day and Night might feel too complicated, but it really isn't. It is definitely more involved than Lost Cities, though; we've only played it once, and I think it'll take a couple more to fully get a handle on strategy.

My other big recommendation would be Odin's Ravens. If you want a bit more confrontation, but not too much, try Aton.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Spikes
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GiannisS wrote:

I second Colorreto. It's super easy, colorful, and enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Urista
United States
Radford
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Take a look at these. They're all 2-player only games:
Odin's Ravens
Jambo
Balloon Cup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Delinquent wrote:
GiannisS wrote:

...but not really 2-player (OK, there's a 2-player variant, but the game is best with 4-5).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Philipp
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Delinquent wrote:
GiannisS wrote:

...but not really 2-player (OK, there's a 2-player variant, but the game is best with 4-5).

And then if you are going to try with two, it might be worth it to jump right to Zooloretto.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Spikes
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Superhawk2300 wrote:
cferejohn wrote:
Delinquent wrote:
GiannisS wrote:

And then if you are going to try with two, it might be worth it to jump right to Zooloretto.

If Dominion is too daunting because of its 6-page rulebook, I think a game like Coloretto is just what he's looking for--it is not a complex game by any means.

Carcassonne wasn't a hit, so maybe it's the tile-laying feature. Zooloretto has tiles.

Dominion was an interest, so maybe he's focusing in on card games.

Coloretto fits the bill.

Plus, if he and his partner have friends over, they can all enjoy a game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul / PHX Gamer
United States
Scottsdale
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Battle Line.

Other good 2-player only games:

Roma and Aton.

Games that play well with 2 but also with more.

Stone Age and The Downfall of Pompeii.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't believe we've come this far without anyone recommending Court of the Medici.

I'm going to look at Jaipur, myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.