Jim Marshall
United Kingdom
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It’s been mentioned in passing in a few other rules queries, but I’m not convinced I’ve seen a definitive answer to this one.

If I read it right, the main rule book, the player aid sheet, and the turn sequence on the board have sequential phases:

11. Enemies Attack – which essentially results in enemy cubes from the enemy box in excess of Polish cubes in the box being placed in the appropriate Polish region

12. Poland Fights back – essentially players expend discs from the Sejm to use the King’s Army to attack enemy cubes in Polish regions

13. Enemies expand – enemy cubes expand into Polish regions from neighbouring regions in which the number of enemy cubes exceed the number of Polish cubes

However, Example 1 on page 12 sequentially shows:

• Swedish cubes attacking into Prussia (i.e. phase 11 – enemy attack)
• Swedish cubes expanding into neighbouring Lithuania (i.e. phase 13 – Enemies expand)
• Russian cubes attacking into Lithuania (i.e. back to phase 11 for the next Polish region)

So it’s unclear whether

• Phase 11 is completed for all regions before completing phase 12 for all regions before completing phase 13 for all regions (as per the rules/player aid/board turn sequence)

- or –

• Phases 11-13 are completed for Prussia before completing phases 11-13 for Lithuania before completing phases 11-13 for Ukraine etc.

The former option seems to make more sense to me (i.e. complete the enemies attack phase before moving on to Poland fights back then Enemies expand), but at least one other poster has called it the other way.

Can anyone offer a definitive clarification? (Martin?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Fiett
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim Marshall wrote:
Can anyone offer a definitive clarification?

Of course I can't, because I'm just player, but I'm absolutely sure you're right here:
Quote:
• Phase 11 is completed for all regions before completing phase 12 for all regions before completing phase 13 for all regions (as per the rules/player aid/board turn sequence)

English rulebook is clear about it (page 3):
Quote:
Each phase must be completed before the next one is embarked on.

The same we can find in Polish rulebook on page 5. Moreover, example in Polish instruction is correct (page 18): after Swedish expansion from Prussia, Tatars expand from Ukraine into Lithuania and cancel each other out with Swedes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Skellett
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
A wolf and a penguin could never live together, nor could a camel and a hippopotamus. That would be absurd.
badge
And the older you get, the fewer things you really love. And by the time you get to my age, maybe it's only one or two things. With me, I think it's one.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jim,

I finished playing my 5th game of GP last night & afterwards decided to read the rulebook again. I also noticed the discrepancy between the example & the rules, & I was intending on asking the question about it but I found your post first.

You sum up the situation well & Andrzej's post with an updated/corrected example from the Polish rulebook convinces me that the "English" example is incorrect & Russia wouldn't be invading Lithuania in Phase 13.

The sentence:

"Lithuania is then invaded by three strength points of Russians"

should probably be replaced by something like:

"Lithuania is then invaded by three strength points of Tatars as they expand from the Ukraine (no expansion occurred from Lithuania when it was evaluated)."

As Andrzej points out, it's hard to argue with the rules on:

Quote:
Each phase must be completed before the next one is embarked on.

I'm glad you noticed the problem too & thanks to Andrzej for the example from the Polish rules which clears up the issue (for me at least).

Cheers,

Ben

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.