Wizard» Forums » General

Subject: Favorite Bidding Version? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm gonna play this game soon (with 3) and I'm wondering which bidding people like the most, or if it's all good. There's 1-by-1-open-bidding, all-reveal-at-once-bidding, and a secret bid until the round is over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
1-by-1-open-bidding, can't sum up to the number of tricks available
This is my favourite, I play it all the time. Ofcourse, sometimes you're screwed because you can't bid the amount you want to bid, but the fact that someone is going to fail for each hand maked the game tight which is good.

all-reveal-at-once
This is played at BrettSpielWelt. This is a nice version to play and it's the fairest version, because you can't be screwed as in the version above. The hands in which everyone makes their bid are a bit lame though. Also, when for example there are a lot of Zauberers in the game, the sum of the tricks bid is way to high and it all comes down to luck in such games. It might look spectacular, but the strategy is lost in such cases. All in all this is not my favourite version.

secret bid until the round is over
I really dislike this version. It's almost not possible to trick your opponents when you don't know what their target is. So far for strategy. Not recommended.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pastuzyn
United States
Midland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the group you're playing with is new to trick taking card games, then just have everyone bid their hands. The Wizards and Jesters tend to distort people's ideas of what their hands can take and sometimes the bids get way off the mark. Once people have adjusted to this, then 1-by-1 bidding, aka, "screw the dealer", is the way to go. The first replier is correct when he states it's lame when everyone makes their bid on a round. Better to be one over or one under bid and have everyone fight for it. Downside to this way is the first couple of rounds. Whoever deals those hands is at a disadvantage, but one you from which you can recover.

One of my favorite games -- enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
We usually play open bidding once around using the Wizard Coins so players can see everybody's bid, placing a coin on each captured trick so players also know at a glance how many tricks each player needs. If the dealer (last bidder) is in the sole lead, he cannot make the bid come out even. We occasionally try other methods with the bidding wheel, but the above is most common by far in our group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seabie wrote:
1-by-1-open-bidding, can't sum up to the number of tricks available
This is my favourite, I play it all the time. Ofcourse, sometimes you're screwed because you can't bid the amount you want to bid, but the fact that someone is going to fail for each hand maked the game tight which is good.
This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Not making the bid come out even is intriguing. In the deluxe version I have, it calls that the "Optional Canadian Rule"... don't ask me why. Anyway, it describes it as Todd stated, where it only applies if the last bidder (dealer) is the leader.

However, it sounds like many play it that way every round, even if you are not in the lead, correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Christensen
United States
Fargo
North Dakota
flag msg tools
designer
Pat OwlOrbs.
badge
Rub the wizard!
mbmbmbmbmb
We prefer secret bids far and away to the other versions, but then we have the click wheels which makes it very easy to play that method.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Part of what I like about Ninety-Nine and Wimmuln is how they use a hybrid of revealed and exposed bids.

In Ninety-Nine, you remove cards from your hand that represent your bid, placing them facedown in front of you and revealing at hand's end how many tricks you contracted for. For additional score and risk a player can expose their bid.

In Wimmuln, you also remove cards from your hand that each represent a bid. Everyone makes two bids, and then once bidding is locked in, everyone exposes one of their bids. Scoring is based on whether the player made the exposed or hidden bid (or both, if they represented the same bid amount).

When I play Wizard, I usually play Once-Around Bidding, with the Hang-the-Dealer rule in effect starting with the 6-cards hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
When I play Wizard, I usually play Once-Around Bidding, with the Hang-the-Dealer rule in effect starting with the 6-cards hand.

Seems like a very reasonable 'solution'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah Lee
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
But please don't call me Jerry.
badge
At one time, I didn't really like Power Grid so Ted made my piece a Power Grid piece.
mbmbmbmbmb
Once around, starting to the left of the dealer.

First round: indian poker style. Everyone sees everyone else's car, but not their own (forehead-style).

Fourth round and after, shaft the dealer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Hanegan
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I have the deluxe version bidding wheels and normally play with simultaneous reveal. I prefer this to once around bidding for two reasons.

1) It speeds up the bidding process, as everyone bids at once instead of one at a time.

2) It removes positional advantage. Suppose you are playing screw the dealer with 5 players. Two players will deal one more hand than the other three. Is this fair? I think not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.