Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Merchant of Venus» Forums » General

Subject: Disks, counters, remakes, builds... variants... GAH! Too much wood... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How many disks, and which sizes and colors will I need to build a "FULL" version, with all the Dathkadan files for the base game, plus all variants he and Slev converted to his art-style?

I've played the game so long ago, that I don't really recall anything from it, except for the fact that you play a race, sell and smuggle goods and earn money...

AH YES! I remember that I had a blast when I played it as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look 'ere:

What Files Do I Need For Remake?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Zelller
Germany
Schramberg
Baden-W├╝rttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Please allow me to direct you to this thread answering this amoung many other questions:

Dathkadan Remake: A beauty to behold, but a beast to build (Or: How we did it... with pics and links)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
In total, for everything all at once (like I'm making):
50 of 0.5" discs
1325 of 0.75" discs
137 of 1" discs
16 of 1.25" discs

In practicality, you want to round those up a little to accomodate for errors, badly cut discs, etc. Overall, I'd go with:
60 of 0.5" discs
1400 of 0.75" discs
150 of 1" discs
16 of 1.25" discs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BTW, in case anyone else is reading this who just wants to make a basic set, to make a basic set with the same components as the original game it takes:

380 discs 3/4"
41 discs 1"
15 doscs 1 1/4"

That includes some extra. If you want to leave off the original combat bits, you can reduce that down to 300 disks of the 3/4" size.

Thats a very managable number, and not "too much wood"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Filipe Cunha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yargo wrote:
BTW, in case anyone else is reading this who just wants to make a basic set, to make a basic set with the same components as the original game it takes:

380 discs 3/4"
41 discs 1"
15 doscs 1 1/4"

That includes some extra. If you want to leave off the original combat bits, you can reduce that down to 300 disks of the 3/4" size.

Thats a very managable number, and not "too much wood"

Save the Rainforest!!!
"All your wood are belong to us!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, sustainable forestry for wood and paper is a great carbon sink!

Craft more wooden games, fight global warming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lorenz
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
If you order the disks from casey wood products http://www.caseyswood.com, make sure that you pay attention to the price changes for a larger order. It would be cheaper to order 100 of the one inch disks that 70. The more you order the lower the price per disk. 100 and 500 are two of the break points.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Chan
United States
Conway
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Slev wrote:
50 of 0.5" discs
1325 of 0.75" discs
137 of 1" discs
16 of 1.25" discs

In practicality, you want to round those up a little to accomodate for errors, badly cut discs, etc. Overall, I'd go with:
60 of 0.5" discs
1400 of 0.75" discs
150 of 1" discs
16 of 1.25" discs

This is alot more disc than I ordered. Did I do something wrong? I read Yargo's and Wolfzell's thread about their builds and these is the number of disc I ordered from Casey's for the base game + variants:
490 7/8"
70 1"
15 1 1/4"

I went with 7/8" instead of 3/4" because of a comment Wolfzell made on his build. He said 3/4" was a perfect fit, but was worried the sticker on the disc getting scuffed so he got one size larger.

All my disc and label paper should arrive today and I hope to start this build this weekend. The only thing i'm worried about is I have no idea how to print the game board out in four 10x10 sections on 11x17 paper. Just like Yargo, i'm using an old 20x20 clue board. I plan to do all my printing at Kinkos, but i'm not sure if I need to break the jpeg of the map into 4 section in photoshop or if they can do it for me at kinkos and size it for 10x10. Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Zelller
Germany
Schramberg
Baden-W├╝rttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dacool561 wrote:
This is alot more disc than I ordered. Did I do something wrong?

You didn't do anything wrong. My numbers have been for the base game and the expansions made by Dathkadan. Slev added other expansions, most of them published in "The General". If you really want to add all those expansions as well, only then you will end up with the numbers above.

Quote:
I went with 7/8" instead of 3/4" because of a comment Wolfzell made on his build. He said 3/4" was a perfect fit, but was worried the sticker on the disc getting scuffed so he got one size larger.

Right. I still think it is better to do the stickers a bit smaller than the discs. If you haven't printed it, You might consider sizing up the gameboard to 24" though. Even if it will take a lot of table space, the print in 20" gets really cramped in play. Since our nylon print in 20" was so "grey" we had another laminated print on photo paper in 24" that is looking great. I just need to mount it to the Forex boards, then I will post pics.

If you can't get a printing service to do it, with 24" you can make the game board in a 3x3 tile fashion, having every tile with 8" as Andrew did here:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Chan
United States
Conway
SC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the heads up. I've never played the game but i have several people who are excited to do so. If they all love it I might have to go do another order of disc and make the other variants from Slev laugh

I ordered a good bit extra of 11x17 sticker paper so i might try to do both an 20" and 24" in a 3x3 8" as suggested. Main reason for doing a 20" was because like Yargo, i have an old 20x20 clue board i can use to put it on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dacool561 wrote:
Slev wrote:
50 of 0.5" discs
1325 of 0.75" discs
137 of 1" discs
16 of 1.25" discs

60 of 0.5" discs
1400 of 0.75" discs
150 of 1" discs
16 of 1.25" discs

This is alot more disc than I ordered. Did I do something wrong? I read Yargo's and Wolfzell's thread about their builds and these is the number of disc I ordered from Casey's for the base game + variants:
490 7/8"
70 1"
15 1 1/4"

All my disc and label paper should arrive today and I hope to start this build this weekend. The only thing i'm worried about is I have no idea how to print the game board out in four 10x10 sections on 11x17 paper. Just like Yargo, i'm using an old 20x20 clue board. I plan to do all my printing at Kinkos, but i'm not sure if I need to break the jpeg of the map into 4 section in photoshop or if they can do it for me at kinkos and size it for 10x10. Any ideas?

Just to reiterate what Wolfzell said, the 1400 is for EVERY SINGLE variant known to mankind. Including the TEN player variant (I don't know that many people who would want to play a MoV game that would probably take something like 6 hours with 10 players), and something crazy like 500 disks for non random player movement (using discs instead of dice, for if someone is a dice hater, but still wants to play MoV, which I think is unlikely), and a few others. I would suggest skipping those and any variants related to combat, and you'll be set with still a very wide variety of options.

Remember that Slev is a bit of a completionist (I also have some of that heh). Not all of these variants had been finished when I ordered my components so I'm going to have to skip some of the ones like 10 player and non random movement when I do my next copy, but I don't think I'd ever use them anyway.

Please post pics of how the 7/8" discs work out, I'm curious to know how well they fit, now I'm thinking I shoulda tried that
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for any confusion. That is the "everything and the kitchen sink" number of discs.

That said, I'm planning to include 60 dice in my set, cloth drawing bag, full colour, hardbacked rule books, etc. It'll be very wish, but that's the way I do things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yargo wrote:

Just to reiterate what Wolfzell said, the 1400 is for EVERY SINGLE variant known to mankind. Including the TEN player variant (I don't know that many people who would want to play a MoV game that would probably take something like 6 hours with 10 players), and something crazy like 500 disks for non random player movement (using discs instead of dice, for if someone is a dice hater, but still wants to play MoV, which I think is unlikely), and a few others. I would suggest skipping those and any variants related to combat, and you'll be set with still a very wide variety of options.

Remember that Slev is a bit of a completionist (I also have some of that heh). Not all of these variants had been finished when I ordered my components so I'm going to have to skip some of the ones like 10 player and non random movement when I do my next copy, but I don't think I'd ever use them anyway.

Yes, that I am. Very much so.

non-random movement accommodating ten-players and second ships comes in at 600 discs.
Without the non-random movement, Aliens Amok comes in at 44 discs.
The rest comes to 181 discs then, for everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another source for Wood Disks (scroll down): http://www.bearwood.com/TOY-GAME.HTML

I ahven't compered their prices to Casey's so I'm not sure if it's a better deal or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
Another source for Wood Disks (scroll down): http://www.bearwood.com/TOY-GAME.HTML

I ahven't compered their prices to Casey's so I'm not sure if it's a better deal or not.

1000 of the 3/4" discs from bearwood are $39.50 before shipping. So about 4 cents each.

From caseys 1000 of them is a total of $28 without shipping, which is under 3 cents a piece.

But its always good to have additional possibly sources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Fiend
United States
Avon Lake
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OR you can print out the counters and glue them to heavy stock paper then punch them out. The cardboard counters work just fine with some wood for the telegates and Race markers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.