Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
C. B. Green
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Look, I'll give Monopoly its due. As a kid, I loved it. Loved the different colors of the properties. Loved the trading. Loved building houses & hotels. Loved way the money ultimately devolved into a giant, messy pile of lucre, despite by best efforts/intentions to keep it organized. I even loved the scrimping, mortgaging and fire-sale trading you had to do to keep from being wiped out.

Of course, nowadays, being wiped out of a Monopoly game is the high point of the game, for reasons we all know too well. My kids have (mercifully) passed through their Monopoly phase. But despite the crappy, endless game play and the obscene over-licensing of the brand, I'll always have some warm feelings towards it.

Of course, who could feel any warmth towards THIS?

My God, THAT'S what they think Monopoly should look like? Are they freekin' nuts? Circular board? Minimal color and images? No cash money? And what in God's name have they replaced the railroads with? I swear, if Dave Matthews Bandopoly and Baton Rougeopoly and Dr. Pepperopoly haven't killed this game, surely, this re-design will.

I can't imagine anyone finding this game fun or pleasant at all. Did they think that this was gonna make kids perk up from Call of Duty or Halo? ("Look, dude! It's a CIRCULAR BOARD!")

It's absurd, and wrong-headed, and kinda sad. I'd say "Monopoly, we hardly knew ye..." except that all of us know ye way too much already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the look of this one. I dislike that a "credit card reader" is keeping track of the money, but the board looks nifty to me.

A round board also isn't new.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jensen
United States
Fredericksburg
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had to do a triple take before I realized that wasn't a crokinole board...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Chiarello
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmb
I agree with all of this completely.

Another problem I have with monopoly in the past year or so is the change from paper money to electronic money systems.
Most parents I've talked to regard this as a better system, as it makes the game move faster and teaches good credit card habits.
However, I prefer the paper money system because it teaches (young) children about counting and the VALUE of money.

Wall of text overwith.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John John
United States
Earth
flag msg tools
Ultraman, here he comes from the sky. Ultraman, watch our hero fly!
badge
Hi, I'm Ultraman! Home: Nebula M78 Height: 40 meters Weight: 35,000 tons Age: 20,000 years old Flight Speed: Mach 5
mbmbmbmbmb

This is just another version of Monopoly, not a replacement. The regular version will still be available.

Don't believe me? Read the four other threads ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madslaust wrote:
I had to do a triple take before I realized that wasn't a crokinole board...

I imagine that converting it into one wouldn't require *too* much effort...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Kikola
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree completely. Putting out a bunch of rethemed Monopoly sets to fit the latest "thing" in popular culture is unoriginal and an obvious attempt to make a bunch of money with minimal effort. But this redesign seems like a perfectly valid and, to the extent of my knowledge, thoughtful remake. The design is not a simple rehash of the same board that they release over and over again year after year. Instead, it is stylish, it is elegant, and it is modern.

It may not be a great game, but if they're going to do anything with it then I think this is a step in the right direction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Glover
United States
Unspecified
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
I think more boardgames should have circular board editions! Here are a few that would benefit: El Grande, Thunderstone, Reef Encounter, and Dune.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salty Skwib
United States
San Miguel
California
flag msg tools
badge
Should I eat the Cuttlefish and Asparagus or the Vanilla Paste?
mbmbmbmbmb
HBGlover wrote:
I think more boardgames should have circular board editions! Here are a few that would benefit: El Grande, Thunderstone, Reef Encounter, and Dune.

Don't forget Twister.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
....and worst of all you can't take too much change from the bank!
Grrrrrr.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Hasbro has unveiled the design of the new 75th anniversary edition of their classic board game, Monopoly, set to hit stores in fall of 2010. "Monopoly: Revolution Edition" is slick and round instead of dull and square, with debit cards and an ATM instead of paper money and a banker, clear plastic representations of the classic tokens (bye-bye, little boot!), and clips of popular songs (like Rihanna’s "Umbrella," Daniel Powter’s "Bad Day," and Beyonce's "Crazy in Love") that play after certain actions."

Wow...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hoping for Lou Reed's "Perfect Day" when you pass Go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it looks cool.

Also, there's no space in the middle for the "you get all the money we've payed if you end up on free parking" rule. That might make some people read the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Asur wrote:
I think it looks cool.

Also, there's no space in the middle for the "you get all the money we've payed if you end up on free parking" rule. That might make some people read the rules.

There's also no money to be put in the middle. So that little credit card machine might actually make people follow the rules! =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jensen
United States
Fredericksburg
VA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MasterDinadan wrote:
Asur wrote:
I think it looks cool.

There's also no money to be put in the middle. So that little credit card machine might actually make people follow the rules! =)

But you have to change the rules to make the game fun at all!

ARGH!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want to be anniversary Monopoly for the circular board alone and not use the credit card machine so you can invent your own rules, that's your prerogative.
Or you could just buy a regular Monopoly game with a square board so you can get the dice and paper money and play how you want!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, it *would* make a cool crokinole board...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been some rule changes with the new edition as well.

At some unknown point in the game, but especially if many properties are currently mortgaged, the electronic bank suddenly declares it's not giving out any more money, and mortgaging property is no longer permitted. Currently existing mortgages are seized, but the properties are not resold. The bank then debits everyone's electronic account, to simulate tax dollars bailing the bank out, so that unnamed bank executives can receive bonuses. Any manual attempts to reverse or override the bank result in the device repeating the phrase, "too big to fail, to big to fail..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manfred von blow wrote:

Another problem I have with monopoly in the past year or so is the change from paper money to electronic money systems.
Most parents I've talked to regard this as a better system, as it makes the game move faster and teaches good credit card habits.

Having been forced to play with a card machine, it definitely made the game slower, rather than having the money ready and handing it over you have to put your card in, key in the amount, and then put their card in to complete the transaction,

And its difficult to know if the right amount has been entered as the kids insists on operating the machine,

And you have no idea how much cash you actually have without wresting the damn thing off the kids,

And if that wasn't bad enough the sister in law was also making preferential deals with her kids!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. B. Green
United States
Culver City
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd never say the remake wasn't valid, or even thoughtful. But I think that the conclusions they've reached are wrong.

For instance, those narrow spaces... the gray print... the plastic tokens... I can see how it might look kind of elegant from a pure design perspective, but the experience of playing on that board seems like it'd be more difficult and less fun.

To me, part of the pleasure of Monopoly has always been its quality as a kind of historical artifact. Even as a kid, I could sense the way that the iconography and illustrations were kind of old-fashioned. I liked that about it. If I were redesigning it, I'd embrace the history, rather than run from it... add more art deco touches, situate it in its time and place. The new version looks like it's been abstracted beyond recognition.

I know that the idea of making something look even more old-fashioned seems counter-intuitive from a marketing perspective, and I'm sure I'd get laughed out of the room at Hasbro. But this seems so far from the actual fun of pretending to be a real estate baron that it's depressing to the 8 year-old that's still inside of me somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Levine
United States
Oro Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get it... how do you cheat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Q !

Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmb
loopster70 wrote:
I'd never say the remake wasn't valid, or even thoughtful. But I think that the conclusions they've reached are wrong.

For instance, those narrow spaces... the gray print... the plastic tokens... I can see how it might look kind of elegant from a pure design perspective, but the experience of playing on that board seems like it'd be more difficult and less fun.

To me, part of the pleasure of Monopoly has always been its quality as a kind of historical artifact. Even as a kid, I could sense the way that the iconography and illustrations were kind of old-fashioned. I liked that about it. If I were redesigning it, I'd embrace the history, rather than run from it... add more art deco touches, situate it in its time and place. The new version looks like it's been abstracted beyond recognition.

I know that the idea of making something look even more old-fashioned seems counter-intuitive from a marketing perspective, and I'm sure I'd get laughed out of the room at Hasbro. But this seems so far from the actual fun of pretending to be a real estate baron that it's depressing to the 8 year-old that's still inside of me somewhere.

The reason they didn't go old fashioned on this version is that they've done "old fashioned" already...look at either the 60th anniversary edition from 1995, or the 70th anniversary from 2005 for examples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Kikola
United States
Parkville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
loopster70 wrote:
To me, part of the pleasure of Monopoly has always been its quality as a kind of historical artifact. Even as a kid, I could sense the way that the iconography and illustrations were kind of old-fashioned. I liked that about it. If I were redesigning it, I'd embrace the history, rather than run from it... add more art deco touches, situate it in its time and place.

Already done before, as Qslick mentioned. 1995's 60th Anniversary Edition is a good example.

With Monopoly, the last thing we need is more of the same. To me, this is a welcome change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nick s
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IIRC the original prototype was done on a round table covering by the designers, so really a round board isn't "new" but severely old skool

(Edit: what I'm remembering is "One evening in 1930, Darrow sat down at his kitchen table in Germantown, Pennsylvania, and sketched out some of the street names of Atlantic City on the round piece of oilcloth that covered the table. " eg.http://richard_wilding.tripod.com/history.htm , but I can't find any pictures)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K W
United States
Erie
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmb
Monopoly needs to be played with real money to be fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.