Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joker Smiley
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How does Hansa Teutonica compare with a couple of older games from last decade, Goa (which also has 'development tracks'), and Taj Mahal (which has route/network building and set collection)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Takagi
United States
San Marcos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, Hansa Teutonica has very little in common with either of those games, though I can see why you make the comparisons.

Both Goa and Taj Mahal are essentially auction games, and HT lacks any auction component. HT relies much more on making moves on the board. While moving up on tracks is important, it feels like there is more freedom in which tracks to move on than in Goa, and there seem to be viable strategies to each one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
jokersmiley wrote:
How does Hansa Teutonica compare with a couple of older games from last decade, Goa (which also has 'development tracks'), and Taj Mahal (which has route/network building and set collection)?

I posted this in a geeklist when another person asked how it compares to GOA:

Quote:
Although there are some minimal similarities between the two games (i.e. tech tree, multiple ways to score points) they are very different games. IMHO HT plays quicker, has more depth and has much more interaction. It also has less luck (no cards) and is easier to learn. I have also found it is a great game for both new gamers as well as seasoned gamers. I have played it with hardcore games and even my 8yo and all have enjoyed it. It has 2-player rules out of the box which are not bad, but with a two-sided board it scales very well from 3-5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Wagner
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. It's the game trio Hansa Teutonica, Goa, and Taj Mahal vs your wallet.

The game trio are all great and different games. They will all successfully raid your wallet so that you will own them. They will win this contest. Oddly, so will you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Kingsbury
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I think Hansa is clearly the best game of the three. Short, interesting, lots of routes to victory. Goa is a bit broken as there is one track you have to go up (cant remember which now). Taj is a good game but suffers from the ravages of losing an auction. Here in Hansa even being displaced helps you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sandblack wrote:
Goa is a bit broken as there is one track you have to go up (cant remember which now).

I will quickly point out that, not only do players get to select what tiles will be available for auction, but they also determine the final price. Any apparently imbalance between the "tech trees", and therefore the plantations and other tiles which enable them, can be accounted for by the players themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.