Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
My second game of Caylus with Jesse saw me speeding the provost and bailiff along the road so as to cause the game to over in double-quick time. Jesse caught on to what I was doing quickly, but he wasn't sure how to react. In the end, he was caught not doing enough in the castle and my favours gave me a commanding lead.

Jesse (playing black) went for the early clothmaker and nortary combination, but did so in a turn that allowed me the first shot to actually use the notary - so I had the first residence on the table, replacing the neutral quarry to allow my better quarry to take centre stage. Jesse's buildings allowed us to stay together in the score despite my 3-2 placement in the castle.

The next stage of the game was disastrous for Jesse: Yes, he built a fair number of buildings - and we each ended up with two residences each - but he didn't contribute to the castle at all. I gained a lot of favours as the bailiff sped down the road and ended this stage. In all, only three turns occurred, and Jesse's early building superiority had been eroded.

Jesse tried to recover some points through gaining gold, but without an architect on the board, he couldn't convert his gold to prestige buildings. He did have five gold as the game ended, but it didn't compare to the extra prestige I'd gained through favours and buildings. Final score: 99-74.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Tait
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Good session report of a game that is often hard to describe in narrative form! But you don't distinguish between residences and prestige buildings, and you speak of building residences with the architect--it's the lawyer. That makes your report harder to follow, because I'm not sure which you are talking about at any given time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, it's the Notary (read the tile).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merric Blackman
Australia
Waubra
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
Ramping up my reviewing.
badge
Happily playing games for many, many years.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry about the confusion! That'll teach me to try writing a report without looking at the pieces... (and trying to remember what everything is called a few years after I played the game regularly).

I'm editing it appropriately.

Cheers,
Merric

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.