Popular Tags: BattleTech [+] mech [+] Dominion, [+] [View All]
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
THIS THREAD IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED. FOR THE LATEST INFO, REFER TO THE OFFICIAL BattleTech: Domination GAME PAGE.

Hello everyone,

I know that variants and mods may not be for everyone, but I was having too much fun with this idea so I went all the way with it. I really enjoy Dominion and wanted more, so I combined it with one of my favorite game universes: BattleTech. The result is a hybrid game that is about 60% Dominion and 40% BattleTech CCG.

The structure of the game is identical to Dominion, but with several key changes:

- The objective of the game is to have the most cards in your deck at the end of the game OR reduce your opponents deck to zero.
- Victory cards have been replaced with Unit cards (mechs, infantry), which you use to attack your opponent and force him to scrap (ie, trash) cards and units.
- You get 2 actions per turn instead of one. Actions can be used to either: 1) play a support card (action cards), or 2) deploy a unit from your hand into your "deployment zone".
- There is a new Attack Phase at the beginning of your turn where all your units attack your opponent. Total your unit's attack values and compare it to your opponent's total defense. If your attack is greater than his defense, your opponent is "overrun" and must trash cards from his deck equal to the difference between your attack and his defense. Also, if your attack is greater than zero, your opponent must trash one unit from his deploy zone (his choice) regardless of his defense total.

That's the basics of the game. Detailed rules are below if you're still interested.

Here is the set of cards that I created. There are 3 basic resources, and 3 basic units (replacing the standard victory cards) which are part of the supply in every game, plus 20 units and 20 support cards of which 10 are randomly chosen to form the rest of the supply. I took the artwork mainly from BattleTech book covers and the BattleTech CCG, so I take no credit for any of it.

I welcome feedback, so please let me know what you think!

Basic resources and units:

Support cards #1:

Support cards #2:

Support cards #3 and Infantry Units:

Mechs #1 (Heavy and Assault):

Mechs #2 (Light and Medium):

DETAILED RULES:

OBJECTIVE
To have the most cards in your deck when the game ends.

GAME END
The game ends immediately when 4 piles in the supply have been exhausted OR when one player has no cards left in his deck.

CARDS
Resource cards, same as Dominion except that there are now three resources: Industry, Munitions, and Tech. Industry is the "base cost". The munitions and tech keep the player from buying the best and most powerful units at the beginning of the game and make it so that players have to "build up" their armies.
Support cards (same as Action cards). Many of the support cards have a functionally identical Dominion counterpart.
Unit cards representing the mechs and infantry that make up your forces (instead of Victory cards)

SETUP
There are 3 "basic" resource cards and 3 "basic" unit cards that are ALWAYS in the starting supply. The basic cards are marked with green borders.
- Basic Factory (aka copper)
- Arms Factory (aka silver)
- Advanced Factory (aka gold)
- Infantry Platoon (instead of estates) - 30 cards in starting pile
- Centurion (instead of duchy) - 20 cards in starting pile
- Catapult (instead of province) - 20 cards in starting pile

Chose 10 random unit and support cards at random to make the rest of the supply. Each pile starts with 10 cards, just like Dominion.

Each player now has a new "Deployment Zone" in front of them where they deploy their units, just like in the Battletech CCG.

The trash is now called the scrapheap. (trash = scrap)

START OF GAME
Determine which player goes first.

Each player starts with a deck of 10 cards (3 infantry platoon, 7 basic factory).

The player who goes first starts the game by drawing 3 cards. The player who goes second starts the game by drawing 5 cards. After the first turn, both players will draw 5 cards at the end of their turn. This is to equal the playing field otherwise the player who goes first would have an definite advantage.

PLAY
Each players turn has the following phases, which is the same as Dominion except for the new Attack phase:

1) ATTACK PHASE - At the beginning of your turn, all units in your Deployment Zone automatically attack your opponent. Add up the total attack of your units and the total defense of your opponents units. If your attack is greater than zero, your opponent must trash one unit from his Deployment Zone (his choice) regardless of his defense total. If your attack is greater than his defense, your opponent is "overrun" and must trash cards from his deck equal to the difference between your attack and his defense.

EXAMPLE: If your total attack is 6 and your opponent’s total defense is 4, your opponent is overrun must trash 2 cards from his deck. He must also trash a unit from his deployment zone.

EXAMPLE2: If your total attack is 3 and your opponent’s total defense is 5, your opponent does not trash any cards from his deck but must still trash a unit from his deployment zone.

2) ACTION PHASE - Same as Dominion, except you have 2 actions per turn instead of 1. An action can be used to either: 1) play a support card (just like an Action card), or 2) deploy a unit from your hand into your Deployment Zone. You do not have to pay the cost of the card when deploying it, only when buying it. Some support cards provide additional actions (just like Dominion), which can be used to play more support cards or deploy more units.

EXAMPLE: You could play 2 action cards, deploy 2 units from your hand to your Deployment Zone, or play one action card and deploy one unit.

3) BUY PHASE - Same as Dominion, you can buy 1 card from the supply using the resources in your hand and the support cards you played.

4) CLEAN-UP PHASE - Discard the remainder of your hand and all support/resource cards, just like Dominion. All units in your Deployment Zone stay there. Draw 5 cards to form your hand for next turn.

Hope that all makes sense. I am fairly confident that the game will work, but obviously the only way to see how it works is to play it! I’m sure there will be a lot of tweaking, as certain cards are sure to be over/under-powered or over/under-valued.

Thanks for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Malley
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know next to nothing about Dominion, but this is boss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Hoffpauir
United States
Lake Charles
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hardcore!

That is all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
caffeinehead wrote:
I know next to nothing about Dominion, but this is boss.

A good reason to get to know Dominion then, I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Northern Rommel
Canada
flag msg tools
A full game in its own right that just resembles Dominion in some mechanical levels.

Excellent job Scott. Perhaps someone might be interested in publishing it for you if you did your own graphics and called it something different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Risto R
Finland
Hämeenlinna
Häme
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome work!

I'm just troubled with attack phase.. Maybe I'm missing something.

Quote:
Player A deploys 2 Infantry Platoons.
Player B deploys 2 Infantry Platoons.
Player A attacks and discards one IP.
- B has to trash one IP.
- A deploys another IP (total two on board).

Player B attacks and discards one IP.
- A has to trash one IP.
- B deploys another IP (total one on board).
- B has to trash one IP (zero on board).
- A drew most likely his 1st IP and can deploy it (total two on board).

Player B has no IP on board and has one in deck to deploy.
Player A attacks on B has to trash last IP.

Obviously I'm skipping all that can be bought but in general it would seem that the one to attack first will be taking the trophy home?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Murray
England
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
badge
Azorius Senate
mbmbmbmbmb
nice idea, looks cool. I'll try it sometime.
How many factories are their in the starting piles though?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonnie H
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HomerJr wrote:
Hello everyone,

SETUP
There are 3 "basic" resource cards and 3 "basic" unit cards that are ALWAYS in the starting supply. The basic cards are marked with green borders.

This looks very interesting. One question I had is.....how many of the "factories" are in the starting piles?

Have you tried it much? If so, how does it play out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
likelyrooster wrote:
Awesome work!

I'm just troubled with attack phase.. Maybe I'm missing something.

Quote:
Player A deploys 2 Infantry Platoons.
Player B deploys 2 Infantry Platoons.
- B has to trash one IP.
- A deploys another IP (total two on board).

Player B attacks and discards one IP.
- A has to trash one IP.
- B deploys another IP (total one on board).
- B has to trash one IP (zero on board).
- A drew most likely his 1st IP and can deploy it (total two on board).

Player B has no IP on board and has one in deck to deploy.
Player A attacks on B has to trash last IP.

Obviously I'm skipping all that can be bought but in general it would seem that the one to attack first will be taking the trophy home?

Thanks!

You're right that the player who goes first has an advantage, which is why the Player A starts with only 3 cards in their hand on the first turn, whereas Player B starts with 5. This signifiantly reduces the chance of Player A starting the game with 2 IP. And Player A does start with 2 IP, the only card they'll be able to buy on the first round is another IP or basic factory (1 industry).

Also note that although each player must have an Attack phase on their turn, they are not required to have an Attack greater than zero. The player can choose whether or not to discard an infantry to gain +1 Attack on their first few turns. For example, on his first turn Player B may choose not to discard his IP in order to have a higher defense on subsequent turns.

What do you think?

Of course, I admit that I've only tried the game a couple times so there is plenty of room for improvement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lonster wrote:
HomerJr wrote:
Hello everyone,

SETUP

This looks very interesting. One question I had is.....how many of the "factories" are in the starting piles?

Have you tried it much? If so, how does it play out?

I currently have the basic resources starting off with the same number of cards as the copper, silver, and gold piles in Dominion; i.e., 60 basic factories, 40 arms factories, and 30 advanced factories. Obviously theres more of a chance now of the basic factory pile running out compared to coppers in Dom as there is much more of an incentive to buy/gain as many cards as possible in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I crudely printed and cut out a set of cards on regular paper and have played about 6 games against myself. I had to do a lot of tweeking but the game seems to work, although I'm sure there are balance issues. I haven't played with all of the cards yet.

I was surprised at how back and forth the game goes. The fact that when you buy cards they go into your discard pile to be drawn later really adds an unpredictable element to the game, as you don't know when you may draw it or it may even get scrapped by an opponent's attack before you ever get a chance to put it in play! Choosing between buying units and support cards is also very tricky, as they serve completely different purposes. Also chosing between buying/deploying infantry platoons (to absorb your opponents attacks) or mechs (to deal damage) is a tricky decision.

My favorite cards so far are Salvage Crew (you never know what you might get out of the scrapheap) and Creative Retrofit (upgrade a Hunchback and Raven into a Masakari/Behemoth = sweet!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Eden Prairie
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
"Games that want to get out."
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott, you may be on to something here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good point. I considered making it an basic assault mech without a special ability, but I found that I liked the assault mechs all to be special cards that aren't always in every game. I wanted the big assault mechs to be a game-changers like they are in the Battletech universe. Just a personal preference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Hoffpauir
United States
Lake Charles
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This really cool conversion makes me want to create Gundaminion or Macrossnion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NOTE: I am creating a deck-building word game, so this is relevant to my interests.

Why is this in the Dominion forum? Shouldn't it be in the game design forum instead?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I put it into thus forum because I saw the game mainly as a stand-alone variant of Dominion with a couple added rules and figured that it would appeal mainly to Dominion fans. I suppose I could have put this into the game design forum instead.

On a side note, I'm going to work on printing out a complete set if cards this week and try to convince one of my Dominion-playing friends to play it with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonnie H
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With the defender needing to scrap a unit every time the attacker has >1 attack strength it seems like each player would be needing a constant stream of PBI (poor bloody infantry) to soak up the loss/per turn... I guess salvage Crew could also be used to replace losses.

If this is a built in feature then it also seems like reducing the Inf Platoons to 20 cards may work.....depending on normal game length.

Like I said before, it looks very interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good points. I did intend for the player to need BPI (nice acronym) to take hits, forcing the player to decide between using buys to pick up more infantry (cheap defense) versus more expensive units. But I don't know for sure yet what the correct number of infantry to have in the game is yet. The only way to find out is to play and see, which I hope to do later this week.

I noticed today while I was at Office Max that business cards are almost the same size as playing cards, so I bought two packets of perforated card stock meant for printing business cards. Hopefully this will be a quick and cheap way of making a set of cards to play with, not to mention a lot easier than cutting 500 cards out by hand!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Risto R
Finland
Hämeenlinna
Häme
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HomerJr wrote:

Thanks!

You're right that the player who goes first has an advantage, which is why the Player A starts with only 3 cards in their hand on the first turn, whereas Player B starts with 5. This signifiantly reduces the chance of Player A starting the game with 2 IP. And Player A does start with 2 IP, the only card they'll be able to buy on the first round is another IP or basic factory (1 industry).

Also note that although each player must have an Attack phase on their turn, they are not required to have an Attack greater than zero. The player can choose whether or not to discard an infantry to gain +1 Attack on their first few turns. For example, on his first turn Player B may choose not to discard his IP in order to have a higher defense on subsequent turns.

What do you think?

Of course, I admit that I've only tried the game a couple times so there is plenty of room for improvement.

I can see your point about 1st player starting with only 3 cards but on paper it seems to only throw the ball to second player and my scenario still plays out but on his favor.

The option to not discard your early units is also valid but again on paper (and without thinking about buys) it seems to only push the inevitable.

These however are minor issues most likely fixed with tweaking and testing ..so I'm glad to hear you are putting effort to it! Hopefully it turns out great and I can pick a copy of it from store in Finland some day thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
likelyrooster wrote:
I can see your point about 1st player starting with only 3 cards but on paper it seems to only throw the ball to second player and my scenario still plays out but on his favor.

The option to not discard your early units is also valid but again on paper (and without thinking about buys) it seems to only push the inevitable.

I'm afraid you may be right, so I'm looking forward to printing out a complete set that I can tinker with the rules.

One idea I had to fix this potential problem was to change the overall Attack phase rule to: the defender must discard a unit when the attacker's has an attack greater than 1 (rather than trash a unit). However, if the defender is overrun (attack > defense) then the defender must trash a unit instead.

I'm going to try out both rules to see which works best. What do you think?

likelyrooster wrote:
Hopefully it turns out great and I can pick a copy of it from store in Finland some day thumbsup

Haha! Thanks for the support.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonnie H
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HomerJr wrote:

I'm afraid you may be right, so I'm looking forward to printing out a complete set that I can tinker with the rules.

One idea I had to fix this potential problem was to change the overall Attack phase rule to: the defender must discard a unit when the attacker's has an attack greater than 1 (rather than trash a unit). However, if the defender is overrun (attack > defense) then the defender must trash a unit instead.

I'm going to try out both rules to see which works best. What do you think?

I like this idea of discarding a unit instead of trashing a unit on weak attacks.

As variations, you could allow overruns of a certain strength to trash a unit of the attackers choice (attacking the opposing force first and then going for the assets). Just a thought. There are a lot of areas that can be played with to find the right balance.

It just seems now, that extra buys are going to be the critical thing to allow mechs to be purchased and get a free PBI to soak up losses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lonster wrote:

As variations, you could allow overruns of a certain strength to trash a unit of the attackers choice (attacking the opposing force first and then going for the assets). Just a thought. There are a lot of areas that can be played with to find the right balance.

Good idea! I'll try that one out too.

Lonster wrote:
It just seems now, that extra buys are going to be the critical thing to allow mechs to be purchased and get a free PBI to soak up losses.

Agreed, and extra actions may be equally important in order to deploy all those PBI and still be able to deploy more powerful units and play support cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Coleman Ellis

Glendale
Arizona
msg tools
mb
Do you have a PDF version of the cards? It seems like it'd be easier to print out that going to each picture page. Other than that it seems fun, but I'd have to try it first. How many copies of each card do you need? Probably the same as Dominion, but it'd help to know nonetheless. Lastly, do you have ten support card piles AND ten mech piles, or ten piles consisting of support cards and mechs?

About project team, do you get the basic factory only if you scrap it, or if you play it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Heise
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Carnax, thanks for your interest in the game!

carnax wrote:
Do you have a PDF version of the cards? It seems like it'd be easier to print out that going to each picture page. Other than that it seems fun, but I'd have to try it first. How many copies of each card do you need? Probably the same as Dominion, but it'd help to know nonetheless.

I have a PDF for printing onto perforated business card stock that I've been using, and I would be happy to distribute it to anyone who is interested once I've had a chance to playtest the game a bit. I printed my first complete set of cards over the weekend, so I'm very excited to give the game a try. I printed out 10 copies of each card, except for the basic resources (60/30/20) and the basic units cards (30/20/20).

I should have a PDF of the cards ready to distribute by the end of the week.

carnax wrote:
Lastly, do you have ten support card piles AND ten mech piles, or ten piles consisting of support cards and mechs?

Right now I'm playtesting a supply of 10 cards, with a mix of 5 units and 5 support. I'm also going to try a random mix of 10, which means you may not have the same number of unit cards and support cards in play. Only way to see which way works best is to give it a try!

carnax wrote:
About project team, do you get the basic factory only if you scrap it, or if you play it?

You only gain the basic factory if you scrap project team. This is to keep the total size of your deck the same, as larger decks are important to winning the game unlike in vanilla Dominion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kolja Geldmacher
Germany
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you use Nandeck to build the cards or did you do them with corel/inkscape/something? I ask because i would be happy to translate the cards into german for you...
Flashhawk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.